Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Okay you are right I did. I forgot that I said it. I think honestly not getting married at all would have made more sense, but my point was she does not appear to be comfortable with a monogamous relationship.
They're married now and seemingly happy with their arrangement, so I don't agree that it would have been better for them never to have gotten married. We have no way of knowing if they will split up in the future or regret anything if they do. I have three children, so you probably understand why I could not agree that I should not have gotten married. I admit to not reading the article yet, so I may be missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Burner phones; what is this the nineties?

Seriously, the problem with the concept is that the heart wants what it wants. Your partner eventually stops asking about your whereabouts, and you stop telling.

It's like couples with their threesomes. All good, clean fun until I see her outside of the arrangement and I don't tell my wife about it. All is fair in love and war until she wants another man inside of her. How do I refuse? What's good for the goose...

Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Nope not at all. You don't have to like it or leave it when a company decides to cut your pay. If they are contractually obligated to pay you a certain amount there is no out unless you agree to it. In that case, it's more than a like it or leave it.

The point was made to show what happens when there isn't a re-agreement of the agreement.
I think we can all guess what happens. She will cheat, or the marriage will end, or she will be unhappy.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Okay so marriage doesn't have any value other than a piece of paper? What you say to one another has no value?
Quit bouncing around. You were the one talking about legal contracts. The legal marriage contract allows for unilateral termination. If you're now talking about emotional "contracts", those apply emotionally in any relationship (married monogamous, married open, or even unmarried) but are not legally enforceable.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
I see. Thank you. I explained my response.

What is getting ridiculous? You not reading responses that I have already made to your questions?
You didn't answer all the points but what is ridiculous is that this thread is now approaching 200 posts. The horse has been beaten to death and vaporized.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
You haven't been married I am assuming, because some of your points seem naive to me. All sorts of marriage vows are broken all the time, some resulting in divorce and some not. How do you enforce being cherished? "You are not cherishing me!!!" "Yes, I am!" "No, you're not!"

For better or worse? Really? How worse? Stay with a drug addict who blows through the family assets and has no desire to get help?

If both parties made a mistake should they stay together and be miserable for the rest of their lives?

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly in doing everything possible to make marriages work, but I also understand that sometimes it is not possible.

The couple in the article did what they felt needed to be done to make their marriage work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You haven't been married I am assuming, because some of your points seem naive to me. All sorts of marriage vows are broken all the time, some resulting in divorce and some not. How do you enforce being cherished? "You are not cherishing me!!!" "Yes, I am!" "No, you're not!"

For better or worse? Really? How worse? Stay with a drug addict who blows through the family assets and has no desire to get help?

If both parties made a mistake should they stay together and be miserable for the rest of their lives?

Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly in doing everything possible to make marriages work, but I also understand that sometimes it is not possible.

The couple in the article did what they felt needed to be done to make their marriage work.
Pretty much agree with all this ^^^. I have come to realize that I would have been happiest being a polyamorist, and never having gotten married. I have been married 30 years now, plenty of issues in the marriage, but have been faithful. People can grow and change over time. I sometimes think I might broach this very subject with my husband... in the past he would have flipped, but these days I'm not so sure....

Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
There is a lot of, "But you just don't understand that marriage means different things to different people," "Commitment has different definitions depending on the personal beliefs of those involved," "Faithfulness means different things to different people," etc. as a part of this whole topic and discussion.

All true. For my part, I couldn't possibly care less what somebody else's viewpoints and definitions regarding what the terms "marriage," "commitment," and "faithfulness" are, unless I am interested in building my life with that person. If people want to have their own personal definitions of what any of these terms or constructs are, and if those are divergent from mine, I don't care one whit. It doesn't affect me. My husband and I need to be, and are, on the same page with how we define what marriage is, what commitment is, and what faithfulness is, as well as what our respective expectations are. That's really and truly all that matters, in the end. Others can do what they want, it has no bearing on my life. Will I have opinions on it? Sure, if I happen to give it any thought whatsoever, as is perfectly within my rights. But who cares? My views don't dictate theirs, just as theirs don't mine.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
They're married now and seemingly happy with their arrangement, so I don't agree that it would have been better for them never to have gotten married. We have no way of knowing if they will split up in the future or regret anything if they do. I have three children, so you probably understand why I could not agree that I should not have gotten married. I admit to not reading the article yet, so I may be missing something.
We actually don't know what the husband feelings are. He was never quoted in the article so I don't know if we can assume he is happy. We are just getting one side of the story.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:44 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Quit bouncing around. You were the one talking about legal contracts. The legal marriage contract allows for unilateral termination. If you're now talking about emotional "contracts", those apply emotionally in any relationship (married monogamous, married open, or even unmarried) but are not legally enforceable.
It was an analogy. The purpose was about commitment. Marriage is really not about a piece of paper. It's supposed to be much more than that. If you definition of marriage is relegated to what a paper says and not what people say to one another, then I'm sorry we cannot agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships