Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if two people agree to date each other "exclusively" and not date others, then for me that means DELETING the account, not just hiding it. So what if i have to recreate the profile? Keeping the profile "just in case" says to me they are not committed to dating one person exclusively, and they are not that interested in having the relationship work out. And yes if someone says they'll delete the account, you bet I check on it, and have no problem with someone else checking that on me too.

of course anyone can just create another account with a different user name, but i would say trust your gut and pay attention to red flags

That isn't too smart, especially when deleting it means you have to re-answer 400+ questions to really make it work well again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That isn't too smart, especially when deleting it means you have to re-answer 400+ questions to really make it work well again.
Yea I agree, especially if you are still a paying member. Creating those profiles is not fun, I'd just hide mine and if down the line the relationship ended in marriage, I'd delete the profile (that is if I'd even remember that I have one out there lol).

Old 05-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Yea I agree, especially if you are still a paying member. Creating those profiles is not fun, I'd just hide mine and if down the line the relationship ended in marriage, I'd delete the profile (that is if I'd even remember that I have one out there lol).

You probably won't. There are some profiles by people I l know that I see from time to time and they've been married and inactive for years and years... they just never bothered to delete it. Probably don't realize it is still up.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
That all goes into how serious do you think the relationship is going to be?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
That all goes into how serious do you think the relationship is going to be?

No, not at all. You never know how a relationship will be.

There is just no reason to delete it. Deleting it doesn't make things suddenly more likely to work. Just disable it. Same effect. What reason would be there to delete it? Just some nonsensical token of undying love or something? I don't think anyone my age would by into such crud. People aren't so gullible or naive.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
No, not at all. You never know how a relationship will be.

There is just no reason to delete it. Deleting it doesn't make things suddenly more likely to work. Just disable it. Same effect. What reason would be there to delete it? Just some nonsensical token of undying love or something? I don't think anyone my age would by into such crud. People aren't so gullible or naive.
Ehhh.

I think hanging onto it is keeping one foot in and one foot out. Sure - in the beginning, disable it... but once you've been with someone for a few months, feel like it will continue that way, what's the point of keeping it around?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:56 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Ehhh.

I think hanging onto it is keeping one foot in and one foot out. Sure - in the beginning, disable it... but once you've been with someone for a few months, feel like it will continue that way, what's the point of keeping it around?
I think after a while of not using it you just forget its there. I have a friend who had POF account, she's been in a relationship for 2 years, and hasn't signed into her account during that time. I was talking to her about OLD the other day, and she remembered that she still had that POF account.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I think hiding it should be enough. I really don't recall ever going online when I was dating someone I really liked and checking to see if they had been logging on. Maybe I preferred denial, but I just didn't see what good could come of that. You check once and see they have, then you're checking every single day. And I've heard many people say that feature isn't even accurate. There's just too many ways to check up on someone these days. A person could drive themselves crazy checking online dating profiles, smart phones, social media, etc. to see what their SO is up to. You either trust someone, or you don't.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:31 PM

741 posts, read 440,888 times
"OLD"??

What the hell is that??

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I believe with the addictive part, but I don't believe in anything else you said. I can definitely agree that these sites tend to be addictive to people and they get caught up more in taking options, instead of actually truly trying to get to know the person in front of them. The entire process becomes old and tiresome. You can easily feel like you're just going round and round in a circle.
I'm not saying people can't or won't find love online, ((it's not hard at all to see or feel love for anyone if you want it bad enough )) - but that's the circle, and cycle of the world online. Meet, f#/ , and move on.... Not everyone will get sucked in, some people are really smart & straight to business. But it is a dating loop, and the more hits, the more $ they make. And the more $ you spend on fancy dates is really stimulating the economy! Sex sure sells! /tangent lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships