Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you guys still be upset in that situation?
Yes, I'll still be upset 9 18.37%
Nope, I'll let that one slide...it's exceptional 38 77.55%
Other 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
haha! We went through lamaze classes and learned all about the meditative state and soothing touches, so he was gently brushing my hair, which i normally love. I was so irritable and snapped at him to stop touching me. I am like that too when i am sick. I want to be alone and not move.

lol...

Old 05-31-2015, 11:20 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My husband is not stupid, if I were giving birth he would show up in full riot gear just in case.

If I was with a GF and she slapped me I would just walk it off physically and emotionally. Then we would have an awesome story and a million jokes to go with that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-31-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 12:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Haha! We went through Lamaze classes and learned all about the meditative state and soothing touches, so he was gently brushing my hair, which I normally love. I was SO irritable and snapped at him to stop touching me. I am like that too when I am sick. I want to be alone and not move.
I don't have kids, but I don't want anyone hovering over me when I'm sick, so I can't imagine I'd want a partner or husband anywhere near me if I were in labor. I'd want a nurse with good drugs at the head of the table and an obstetrician with a catcher's mitt at the foot, and that's about it. (Then again, I'd probably want a birthing chair. On one's back or in the lithotomy position makes things so much more difficult than they have to be.) If a partner had to be there, it would be best if he just sat over on the side, out of the way, so that no one needs to stop what they're doing to tend to him should he freak out, pass out, or otherwise require assistance.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
No, a man would feel embarrassed when his woman or fiancee slaps him in the public, especially if the context involves hysterical behavior. I think the issue with you is that {blah blah blah}...
I think the issue with you is that you have no idea what any woman here thinks and feels, least of all me. If you're going to post on a forum that is predominantly American, Canadian, and Australian, you might want to consider that there is a huge cultural difference from Bosnia.

Grown, secure men might be taken aback at the time, but they're not going to go sit in a corner sucking their thumbs, nursing inordinately wounded pride, and whining because the woman who brought their child into the world--a pain which they will NEVER know themselves--slapped them. They know that women risk their bodies and even lives in childbirth. Get over it.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I think the issue with you is that you have no idea what any woman here thinks and feels, least of all me. If you're going to post on a forum that is predominantly American, Canadian, and Australian, you might want to consider that there is a huge cultural difference from Bosnia.

Grown, secure men might be taken aback at the time, but they're not going to go sit in a corner sucking their thumbs, nursing inordinately wounded pride, and whining because the woman who brought their child into the world--a pain which they will NEVER know themselves--slapped them. They know that women risk their bodies and even lives in childbirth. Get over it.

...That's what separates the men from the boys...

Old 05-31-2015, 03:37 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
He shouldn't have been in the room in the first place. Men should never be present in the delivery room. It does terrible things to a couple's love life. That should always be between the woman and her mid-wife or doctors. Hollywood, as usual, has no clue about the delivery process or anything else based in reality.
Do you have children? My husband said that watching his children being born was the most amazing thing he's ever seen. It hasn't hurt our love life one bit! But I agree - SOME people seem to have no clue about the delivery process or anything else based in reality.

That being said - I had drugs. My deliveries were lovely. Before I had the drugs - I was in excruciating pain and didn't want to be touched. My husband kept trying to make me laugh because he didn't know what to do to help. I snapped at him and gave him the finger! If I didn't have the drugs, I doubt I would have slapped him but from what I understand from my friends that didn't have the drugs - it was very, very painful and it lasted a really, really long time!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Just grow a pair and move on! Not a big deal is it?

Old 05-31-2015, 03:58 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
What an absolute child. Really. A grown man with half an ounce of humor would be laughing his arse off in anticipation of when the kid is old enough to understand the story.

"Oh, your mother shared some of the pain of childbirth with me, Junior. She slapped the taste out of my mouth right before she pushed you out."

Good grief, that would be a running joke in any normal family for the rest of their lives. Heck, next time around, he should wear a sparring helmet!

I would probably start laughing and get slapped again.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
Quote:

I'm so glad that the mods let you throw that "stereotype punch" without editing your post, despite the fact that it steered off topic and just trolls for an answer. I hope the mods will also allow this reply to stand here as a virtual slap for your ignorance.
Your attempt to bash me by stereotyping doesn't surprise me, given that many Americans think that Africans generally live in huts, that Turks generally have sex with goats and that Chinese generally live in fear that their government will execute them. As i write this, I already see numerous Americans nodding their heads because they truly believe it. Many folks in the rest of the world generally believe that an average American is generally stupid. And plenty of these folks just nodded their heads while reading this. See how the stereotyping and "generalization" goes? Any of city-data readers recognized themselves there? I guess you just did. It does you a disservice, not me.

To answer your specific side-topic about cultural differences:
One thing that surprised me about America is that it's overly religious. People are more religious than people living in B&H and far more involved in actual religious practices. I may be off since my experience is limited to Richmond (and related parts of Virginia).
Another thing is that Americans have issues with other concepts of "ethnicity". Ethnicity concept in Bosnia is completely different.

By the way, on-topic: I stand by my words. A man who gets slapped by his girlfriend in public will feel embarrassed and humiliated. It's not a Bosnian thing, it's an universal thing and I think that you don't have the knowledge how a man thinks in either Bosnia or in America. You're a woman, I'm a man. I don't need lectures on being a man and neither do I want any. I don't intend on giving you lessons on how to be a woman. English language is complicated enough that it doesn't have the concept of "čovjek" (the man... this word is hard to translate). In order to be one, you'd need to have different menality, for starters.
Next time you want to play on cultural thing, try to observe how guys feel when their girlfriend freaks out in public and starts hitting them. Most guys will feel embarrassed, some will have low level of tolerance and they'll smack their girlfriend back. How would you feel if your boyfriend slapped you in front of other people, regardless of context? You know... "you started it".... "you deserved it"... can you imagine any context in which this wouldn't be embarrassing to you? Grown, secure women will know when to shut up and listen to their husband who goes through stress on work, since his family depends on it. Right...

A woman who respects her man would not do that in public and expect him to suck it up. Works the other way as well. It's an abuse and no context can justify that. If I was a making a bet, I'd make a safe bet to claim that a woman who respects her guy would not slap her guy in public, regardless of context. Yes, regardless of context. Now keep throwing excuses for someone else's temper tantrums. I don't have the need or will to do that.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I didn't lash out at anyone during labor (each time I sort of retreated within and just wanted to be left alone), but had I slapped my husband there is no way he would have been upset. I was the one in sustained agony for 23 and 26 hours, respectively (first kid was a planned c-section, so no labor at all), so if the worst he got was a slap and hurt feelings... he'd consider himself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships