Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 6,029 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced this because it is my first time lol...

Met a nice guy, and we started talking a lot....nothing too serious but kept in contact on a regular basis-for a few months. Definitely an attraction there for both of us, but we haven't acted on it yet. Met up for coffee, and it went really good, and he invited me out again a few days later on his own, saying we should meet up again the following week...how much he enjoyed seeing me, etc.

Well the following week came and went, and I never heard a word. Sent him a text just saying hello, and no response.....very weird for him. He did have a death in the family recently, which is why he wanted to meet up last time, to talk about it..and I was happy he opened up to me this way.

I would normally just figure I was being brushed off because all signs point to it, but to just receive no response going on almost two weeks now seems weird. I don't want to keep reaching out because I feel desperate. Why ask me out again and then stop contact??

Anyone go through something like this? I am starting to wonder if he is maybe married or in a relationship and got caught or something, that's how weird this all is to me lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical4251 View Post

Met a nice guy, and we started talking a lot....nothing too serious but kept in contact on a regular basis-for a few months. Definitely an attraction there for both of us, but we haven't acted on it yet. Met up for coffee, and it went really good, and he invited me out again a few days later on his own, saying we should meet up again the following week...how much he enjoyed seeing me, etc.

Well the following week came and went, and I never heard a word. Sent him a text just saying hello, and no response.....very weird for him. He did have a death in the family recently, which is why he wanted to meet up last time, to talk about it..and I was happy he opened up to me this way.

I would normally just figure I was being brushed off because all signs point to it, but to just receive no response going on almost two weeks now seems weird. I don't want to keep reaching out because I feel desperate. Why ask me out again and then stop contact??

Anyone go through something like this? I am starting to wonder if he is maybe married or in a relationship and got caught or something, that's how weird this all is to me lol.

ANY number of reasons. Fact is, you'll never know.

Maybe he had second thoughts, whether something you'd understand or something which would prove a total effin' mystery.

Maybe it's like you said, married or attached, afraid of getting caught.

Maybe he's one of those people who can smile and laugh with most anyone, say anything, but it's all vague and unreal to him, even if it's seemingly legitimate for you. Such people exist.

Maybe you were a brief alleviation for some boredom.

People come and go in life, and there's no use in sweating it. That question will never be answered, so turn the page and keep reading.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
ANY number of reasons. Fact is, you'll never know.

Maybe he had second thoughts, whether something you'd understand or something which would prove a total effin' mystery.

Maybe it's like you said, married or attached, afraid of getting caught.

Maybe he's one of those people who can smile and laugh with most anyone, say anything, but it's all vague and unreal to him, even if it's seemingly legitimate for you. Such people exist.

Maybe you were a brief alleviation for some boredom.

People come and go in life, and there's no use in sweating it. That question will never be answered, so turn the page and keep reading.
I know you're right, but it seems so weird to go from wanting to see me again to just NO contact...I could see a slow fade out but to abruptly stop communicating....I'm baffled. I figure he is still dealing with his grief and maybe just withdrawing but who knows.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Pretty common in dating nowadays. I had a really fun coffee date with a guy, then didn't hear from him for a few weeks, then he popped up again and we had a great happy hour date, silence again...then same thing and another date. When he texted me the next time I said no thank you. I think a lot of people have a supply of people they keep around just for when nothing/no one else is going on. I don't want to be anyone's back up plan. I bet this guy will pop up again.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Pretty common in dating nowadays. I had a really fun coffee date with a guy, then didn't hear from him for a few weeks, then he popped up again and we had a great happy hour date, silence again...then same thing and another date. When he texted me the next time I said no thank you. I think a lot of people have a supply of people they keep around just for when nothing/no one else is going on. I don't want to be anyone's back up plan. I bet this guy will pop up again.

That's the kind to which I was referring, but you said it better.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:

Welcome to the dating world, this happens pretty often!

My first experience with this was back in college, I was seeing someone, we had about 5 or 6 dates, then had a date scheduled he promised me he would go all out! I was so excited, then the day came and when by 5pm, I didn't hear from him I called him no answer, left a message....12 years later, he still hasn't called back. This was the first of many disappearing acts I would encounter lol, it's sad but I've kinda gotten used to it.

Last one was a couple of weeks ago, was seeing a guy and then didn't hear from him for about 5 days...until I got a text from him telling me he got back with his ex gf, and how great I am and how sorry he was, please if you were that sorry you wouldn't have went back to her! haha

It's upsetting, but you get over it and move on.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That's the kind to which I was referring, but you said it better.
but he would be the one to always reach out to me first, all the time...I am not one to do the chasing at all....but it seems after the death in his family it changed. Normally, I would cut someone off that did this, but I feel bad, don't want to come off as heartless due to the fact that he's grieving.

Last edited by mystical4251; 06-02-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
but he would be the one to always reach out to me first, all the time...I am not one to do the chasing at all....but it seems after the death in his family it changed. Normally, I would cut someone off that did this, but I feel bad, don't want to come off as heartless due to the fact that he's grieving.

Maybe he's no longer interested, and doing the Fade-away.

Maybe you didn't hook up and that's all he wanted.

Maybe the death is his family was real and has taken a toll on him. Or wasn't real, just an opt-out.

Maybe he noticed he's always the one doing the reaching and doubts your interest. As a guy I'll say right up front, that thing where we're responsible for always reaching out gets old. Wouldn't it be just stupid if you met as ghosts and you asked why he never called, and he said "I always called, so I decided to give you a chance. You never took it."...?

Maybe it was just coffee and chat, he really did enjoy it but he didn't know if it was going anywhere, you didn't show extra interest beyond the chat or flirtation, so it was just a couple of dates and some email, get over it.

Again, who knows? Question is, what do YOU really think? And how badly do you want to know?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe he's no longer interested, and doing the Fade-away.

Maybe you didn't hook up and that's all he wanted.

Maybe the death is his family was real and has taken a toll on him. Or wasn't real, just an opt-out.

Maybe he noticed he's always the one doing the reaching and doubts your interest. As a guy I'll say right up front, that thing where we're responsible for always reaching out gets old. Wouldn't it be just stupid if you met as ghosts and you asked why he never called, and he said "I always called, so I decided to give you a chance. You never took it."...?

Maybe it was just coffee and chat, he really did enjoy it but he didn't know if it was going anywhere, you didn't show extra interest beyond the chat or flirtation, so it was just a couple of dates and some email, get over it.

Again, who knows? Question is, what do YOU really think? And how badly do you want to know?
Guess I'm just someone who needs closure....

Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,807,400 times
Quote:
Guess I'm just someone who needs closure....
Closure is overrated, him not contacting you is all the closure you need.

I supposedly got my "closure" with the last guy when he told me he went back to his ex girlfriend, and while maybe it gave me some peace in knowing it wasn't anything I said or did....it still didn't make me feel a whole lot better, and part of me wishes he didn't tell me. It would've been easier to just think I was way too fabulous for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships