Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times

Advertisements

A guy on a dating site sends you a wink, a like or an email, then next day you go on and discover they've hidden their profiles. I find that so annoying, it's like you didn't just meet a girl last night for the first time and decide to hide your profile, it's obviously something you have been contemplating for a while. So I don't get why reach out to someone, if you're going to hide your profile anyway??? Lets get real here, most woman on these sites will not talk to a man with hidden profile (I know I wouldn't).

For instance yesterday I got a notification that a guy liked 2 of my pics, by the time I went on to go see who it was the guy's profile was faded because it was hidden, and that's not the first time something like this has happened.

I mean if you are seeing someone and are thinking of hiding your profile because of it, don't wink or email anybody else because it sort of defeats the purpose. I understand people hide their profiles for different reasons, but nevertheless hiding a profile means you want to take a break from online dating, so there's no point in contacting anybody on there anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I don't always know when I'm going to take a break. I turned my profile on yesterday and have it on today, but well may have it off for the weekend and next week. I honestly don't give too much thought to this crap.

It is far worse to keep it on when you're not actively looking at the moment like so many people seem to do.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't always know when I'm going to take a break. I turned my profile on yesterday and have it on today, but well may have it off for the weekend and next week. I honestly don't give too much thought to this crap.

It is far worse to keep it on when you're not actively looking at the moment like so many people seem to do.
Ok, but I would think if you had contacted someone, you'd at least wait a couple of days before hiding it again in hopes she might respond to you, no?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Ok, but I would think if you had contacted someone, you'd at least wait a couple of days before hiding it again in hopes she might respond to you, no?

I rarely contact someone, but no, it wouldn't be a factor.

A "wink" isn't a contact, just like a "like" isn't a contact in my book.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:

It's the tough skin part that's needed for online dating. You're nothing but a stranger to them, so what they do doesn't really inflict any consequences on them. Not much you can do on that one, but not get frustrated. Shoot, I could email and wink at every woman online if I wanted to. There's nothing stopping me from doing it, since it's still up to the woman to respond. Sure, it's annoying, but that's the online dating community. It's pretty annoying until you meet someone that you want to talk to.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I rarely contact someone, but no, it wouldn't be a factor.

A "wink" isn't a contact, just like a "like" isn't a contact in my book.
Yea that's true, and to be honest I don't respond to winks or likes myself for the most part (occasionally I might send a wink back). I just don't get the point that's all.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
It's the tough skin part that's needed for online dating. You're nothing but a stranger to them, so what they do doesn't really inflict any consequences on them. Not much you can do on that one, but not get frustrated. Shoot, I could email and wink at every woman online if I wanted to. There's nothing stopping me from doing it, since it's still up to the woman to respond. Sure, it's annoying, but that's the online dating community. It's pretty annoying until you meet someone that you want to talk to.
Yea, I'm not that bothered by it because at the end of the day these are all strangers. I think the part that bothers me more is these people are meeting someone so quickly and hiding their profiles. Some of these people you see and tend to think "really, they found someone"??? yet I'm still searching, it gets pretty frustrating.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yea, I'm not that bothered by it because at the end of the day these are all strangers. I think the part that bothers me more is these people are meeting someone so quickly and hiding their profiles. Some of these people you see and tend to think "really, they found someone"??? yet I'm still searching, it gets pretty frustrating.

They likely are not though. Most of the time I turn my profile off while looking I'm doing it because I just don't want to deal with it for the moment. It can be very time/energy consuming to do right. Lots of the time I just don't want to deal with it for a bit and do other stuff. I wouldn't want to keep the profile on during that time (and wish others wouldn't either, honestly).

Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
Men and women do this. It's called talking to multiple people at once. I have had plenty of conversations with women to where you would think things are going great, even after a date or two, and then they'll say I have decided to get serious with someone else I'm seeing.

It had gotten to the point to where I point blank ask if they're talking to anyone else. It's not that I have a problem with them talking to other guys, I just don't want to be put into the rotation with them. It's better for me to know up front, so I don't have to deal with the frustration of being a part of someone's juggling act.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post

It had gotten to the point to where I point blank ask if they're talking to anyone else. It's not that I have a problem with them talking to other guys, I just don't want to be put into the rotation with them. It's better for me to know up front, so I don't have to deal with the frustration of being a part of someone's juggling act.
That makes sense, but how do you know they're being honest with you? I feel like there's lots of people, who if they're interested in you and are indeed seeing someone else as well, might deny that fact in fear of losing you in their rotation lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships