Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Good point. If she were to volunteer to watch ANY child, would have the same problem, since that child wouldn't be yours, either?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 06:29 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
I laughed when I read your post. Shes now got a "brother" where shes currently living and a "loving soon to be father" as ex's still in her life who pose no danger to their relationship. Nope. None at all. :-) Soon dude is gonna be the "understanding and very sympathetic shoulder to cry on" when he joins her ex boyfriends club. She has a collection going and she likes access to all of em :-P
Not only is the girlfriend bff with an ex lovers wife, but she's also living with her other ex lover (and mom)

Call me immature, but that's two too many ex's all at one time.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I'm just not getting the territorialism over a girlfriend of one year who doesn't live with you. She's not your wife, and it doesn't sound like you're engaged. You're dating. Put a ring on it if you feel you have to assert your place in her life.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
And there's the problem. So, if she decides to babysit for the neighbor, you'd STILL have a problem. Grow up, get over yourself.
This. So what if she has a friendly relationship with her ex? Either you are confident in your relationship or you're not. If you can't trust her, you don't really have a relationship.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM

22 posts, read 20,662 times
She helps take care of other friend's children and I don't have a problem with that at all.

-----

There are two parts of the brain.

The logical civilized part of the mind and the intuitive primal part of the brain.

Logically I don't have any problem with her situation. She only views her ex as a friend and wishes she hadn't ever gotten involved. In fact her ex actually hides out when my girlfriend visits his wife. So there is no problem with the situation in logical thinking.

What I am talking about is the primal part of the brain that pulls from the collective human history, indeed all of our feelings stem from our unconscious which was developed over hundreds of thousands of year.

My primal part of my brain does not like the situation. Sometimes you need to heed intuition and sometimes you need to heed logic.

The question is which side of the brain do I heed? Logic or feelings?

I am also looking to see if my feelings are valid or if it simply anxious paranoia.

Last edited by jumpinjivinjoe; 06-05-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 10:33 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Ok, in those situations I go with the logic part of my brain, but keep the intuitive *alert* in mind.

If you are okay with her living with an ex, but have a funny feeling about her hanging out with the other exes wife, you have to pay some attention to your gut reaction. I would tell her that something bothers you about the situation that you can't put your finger on.

If someone I was dating told me that I would pay attention, I wouldn't necessarily change my behavior, but I would try to look at the things with a fresh eye.

If my spouse told me that I would stop, because he is very smart, and not normally unreasonable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2015, 02:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
She lives with her ex-boyfriend, his wife and her mother, and apparently enjoys healthy friendships with all of them. Things are long over between her and her ex. And you choose to make your stand on the fact that she is anticipating taking part in the raising of a child of people she has close relationships with?

It's something that speaks well of her and how open-hearted she is and also speaks well of her maternal instincts towards any child of her own that she has in the future... and you see it as a threat.

You are her partner. She has built a social network/community for herself and you would seek to put limits on it rather than join it.

I could understand you not wanting to be involved with a woman who lived with an ex, even if the situation seems perfectly innocuous. But this? Ridiculous and petty on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships