Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 12:47 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

According to MBTI theory, we are supposed to be most attracted to people who have opposite extroversion/introversion aspects as us, similar intuitive/sensing aspects, opposite thinking/feeling aspects, and opposite percieving/judging aspects. So say I'm an INTP, according to MBTI, I should be most attracted to ENFJs. Am I? I don't know for sure yet.

How about you and your spouse/significant other and previous relationships? Is this a reasonable assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:38 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
There are a number of good articles out right now that say the Myers Briggs test is no better than astrology. It's hogwash.

You should like the people you like. Don't overthink it.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:42 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
INTJ/INTJ.

We're happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Me: INFJ
Him: ENFP

99% of our arguments come from the J vs P dynamic. I always want to be fairly organized and have a reasonable plan in place, get places on time or even early, pay bills before the due date. He doesn't want to make any decision until the last possible second, hates being even a minute early to anything so he always wants to leave as late as possible (making us frequently late), lives completely in the moment. Oy.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Yiuppy is INFJ
He is INTJ

We're happy as well. Im more of the feeling and remind him his actions have consequence and bring out his tender side. Hes more thinking, helps me keep feeling and reality separate.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 PM

191 posts, read 211,938 times
Me: ISTJ Him: INFP

We're both introverts and that's been wonderful. Our biggest difference is he is very idealistic and I'm very grounded and realistic. Sometimes we balance each other out and other times we get on each other's nerves over the idealistic/realistic thing. It caused more problems when we were younger. After 20+ years of marriage we've learned to handle that difference much better than we did before.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:42 PM

191 posts, read 211,938 times
Also, my husband is more feeling than I am and I tend to be very direct to the point of blunt. Being around each other we've both learned there are times I don't need to be so direct with others and times he should be more direct with others. In that manner we have been a very good influence on each other.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:52 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There are a number of good articles out right now that say the Myers Briggs test is no better than astrology. It's hogwash.

You should like the people you like. Don't overthink it.
It isn't hogwash, but it isn't perfect. Most personality typing methods are intended to also measure serious dysfunction and illness. MBTI is primarily focused on positive personality traits and intended to help promote communication and understanding between healthy people.

My understanding is that introverts and extroverts usually do not mix well. Similar types get along better. The biggest concern is having the same communication style and whether you're an abstract or concrete thinker. So SF and ST types match, and NF and NT types match best, particularly if they are reasonably close on the introversion-extroversion scale.

I am INTJ, my wife is INFJ, and we are very well matched.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:57 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,473 times
I am an INFJ, and if I interpreted your post correctly, I should be with an ENTP?

I don't know what any of my exes were, but when I read the description of ENTP, it did sound an awful lot like a lot of them.

The problem is, A) they're all exes, and for good reason, and 2) the description of what an ENTP is doesn't appeal to me at all.

So, nope. Don't really think it works that way.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Me: ISTJ
Him: ESFJ

We generally get along just fine, but his being so much more extroverted than I am does cause a rift now and then... usually if he springs a social event on me without allowing me sufficient time to panic over it. He is also a very black-and-white thinker, which leads to some interesting philosophical and moral debates, because he has a very hard time seeing the shades of gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships