Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 02:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

In some cultures. In other cultures, focusing on one's studies, passing one's exams, embarking on a good career (medicine, engineering, scientific research, government administration,...) and establishing oneself financially are the "normal part of adolescent development", at least for men. Accomplish all of that, and the village will fall all over itself to secure you a wife. Full stop.

There was an amazing divide in the fortunes of my stablemates in graduate school. The native-born American fresh PhDs (and there weren't many, this being predominantly an engineering school) found themselves adrift. The fellows from Pakistan, Malaysia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the like all suddenly disappeared for a couple of weeks, returning each with a wife. The Europeans were somewhere in between.
Sooo... OP should go back to his country of origin and get his family to "secure him a wife"???

"That's the weather on Mars, now back to the news."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
My interpretation is that he has been attracting the women that he wants, but that he does not enjoy the courting process and does not think the means justify the ends.
And my opinion is that if he was really attracting the women that he wanted, the ends would completely justify the means.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
And my opinion is that if he was really attracting the women that he wanted, the ends would completely justify the means.
Correct. Only when you aren't getting what you really, really want do you usually, rightly or wrongly, begin questioning "the process."

Old 06-14-2015, 03:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Correct. Only when you aren't getting what you really, really want do you usually, rightly or wrongly, begin questioning "the process."
You are assuming that OP is actually meeting women that are worth it.

For me, personally, I have not met an available woman in some time that was worth putting effort into. It doesn't mean that I can't attract women. It simply means that I've been unlucky.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Prospero had a point, when he lamented too easy of a courtship, as the ease detracts from the achievement-value. "They are both in either’s powers, but this swift business I must uneasy make, lest too light winning make the prize light."

And this is a not unreasonable argument against arranged marriages. However, "ends completely justifying means"? Whose means, and whose ends? I hate to be first one here to stumble into Godwin's law, but "the ends completely justifying the means" just reminds me too much of the Nuremberg trials.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:

For me, personally, I have not met an available woman in some time that was worth putting effort into. It doesn't mean that I can't attract women. It simply means that I've been unlucky.
If he's not meeting women that are worth it, then he's not attracting the women that he wants to attract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Prospero had a point, when he lamented too easy of a courtship, as the ease detracts from the achievement-value. "They are both in either’s powers, but this swift business I must uneasy make, lest too light winning make the prize light."

And this is a not unreasonable argument against arranged marriages. However, "ends completely justifying means"? Whose means, and whose ends? I hate to be first one here to stumble into Godwin's law, but "the ends completely justifying the means" just reminds me too much of the Nuremberg trials.
Yes, I was referring to the Nazis.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
If he's not meeting women that are worth it, then he's not attracting the women that he wants to attract.
Yes, but this is largely out of his control.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:

You're assuming the OP shares your seemingly healthy view of the dating process.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, but this is largely out of his control.
I disagree. I think we often attract what we put out there.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
I disagree. I think we often attract what we put out there.
We can attract at most those whose company we share. Not everyone who sees us would be attracted to us, but if we rely on online dating or cold-approach or shared clubs/classes/workplace/etc. for our dating-pool, well, the results will be limited to said pool.

This is in stark contrast to outsourcing the task of dating - or at least its initial steps. That, in essence, is the postulate of what might be called the "non-Western" approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships