Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest, I do get restless sometimes, but the occasional reality check serves as a reminder that I've got a good thing going, and not to take it for granted. Benn married for 15 years and we're still crazy about each other, so I'm a lucky gal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'll be honest, I do get restless sometimes, but the occasional reality check serves as a reminder that I've got a good thing going, and not to take it for granted. Benn married for 15 years and we're still crazy about each other, so I'm a lucky gal.
You are! Gives me hope for the future after reading some of the relationship horror stories here abouts.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
As I get older(41y/o) the more I have a desire to get into a long term relationship and I think more about marriage.

Now that I have a certain level of maturity and appreciation for certain aspects of life, I feel even more than ever it is very important to share my life in a serious long term relationship.

Anyone feel as if a long term relationship is the right fit for them also?
The great irony is that by the time a long-term, committed relationship appeals to many men who put them off, such a relationship is no longer appealing to many women. In that sense, looking for someone a little bit younger (mid-30s, etc.) makes sense logically.

In my late 40s, been on my own for almost a year and a half now, and I can honestly say that I do not miss anything about being in a long-term relationship that I can't get in a more casual one, and no man, aside from perhaps my ex-husband, has ever given me anything close to the emotional support my friends have, or that he, himself, expected from a partner. Perhaps I've just been with selfish or demanding men, but I hear it enough from other women in all walks of life that I tend to think it's more about institutionalized entitlement than anything else. Also, I don't miss the garbage and sacrifice that goes along with an LTR--command performances at holidays, having to consider someone else's needs or how my decisions affect someone else, having to compromise and work through problems, etc.

When I want to show someone I value them by doing small things like cooking a nice meal, surprising them with a gift, or doing a favor, I can do that for my friends, so I don't even miss the joy of giving and bringing a smile to someone's face in an LTR. If anything, it's more rewarding to do it for my friends now. The single ones don't often see or expect such kindness, so they appreciate it more. There's more of a return on emotional investment with them.

Last edited by Lilac110; 06-21-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
The great irony is that by the time a long-term, committed relationship appeals to many men who put them off, such a relationship is no longer appealing to many women. In that sense, looking for someone a little bit younger (mid-30s, etc.) makes sense logically.

In my late 40s, been on my own for almost a year and a half now, and I can honestly say that I do not miss anything about being in a long-term relationship that I can't get in a more casual one, and no man, aside from perhaps my ex-husband, has ever given me anything close to the emotional support my friends have, or that he, himself, expected from a partner. Perhaps I've just been with selfish or demanding men, but I hear it enough from other women in all walks of life that I tend to think it's more about institutionalized entitlement than anything else. Also, I don't miss the garbage and sacrifice that goes along with an LTR--command performances at holidays, having to consider someone else's needs or how my decisions affect someone else, having to compromise and work through problems, etc.

When I want to show someone I value them by doing small things like cooking a nice meal, surprising them with a gift, or doing a favor, I can do that for my friends, so I don't even miss the joy of giving and bringing a smile to someone's face in an LTR. If anything, it's more rewarding to do it for my friends now. The single ones don't often see or expect such kindness, so they appreciate it more. There's more of a return on emotional investment with them.
I understand where you're coming from and I'm over 10 years younger than you. I have very little bad baggage that I carry around while dating. It's hard to hear a lot of the crazy things that women have put up with with their past ex's. It can make things harder for me, because there's likely things I do that will remind them of their ex in a bad way.

It just gets harder and more frustrating for me to date. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too settled in my career and I didn't have enough hiccups and wrong turns in my life. I'm definitely at the stage where's I'm ready to have a settled and monogamous relationship. Just what I've gotten the last couple of years has not amounted to that.

I actually miss the feeling of looking your woman in the eye and telling her that you love her for the first time. I miss being a hopeless romantic in a long-term relationship. I'm always the sweet guy on my dates, but I'm just not meeting the right women in the process. It makes me sad to be honest.....

Old 06-21-2015, 03:46 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I understand where you're coming from and I'm over 10 years younger than you. I have very little bad baggage that I carry around while dating. It's hard to hear a lot of the crazy things that women have put up with with their past ex's. It can make things harder for me, because there's likely things I do that will remind them of their ex in a bad way.

It just gets harder and more frustrating for me to date. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too settled in my career and I didn't have enough hiccups and wrong turns in my life. I'm definitely at the stage where's I'm ready to have a settled and monogamous relationship. Just what I've gotten the last couple of years has not amounted to that.

I actually miss the feeling of looking your woman in the eye and telling her that you love her for the first time. I miss being a hopeless romantic in a long-term relationship. I'm always the sweet guy on my dates, but I'm just not meeting the right women in the process. It makes me sad to be honest.....
You're in your early 30s, I believe? Yes? You're right on time to want to settle down, though. The trick is finding someone at the same point on the same trajectory. Right about now is when women often start looking for the same things, themselves. They may have exes, and yes, you might do things that remind them of those exes, but if they've gotten any wisdom from their experiences, they'll know not to hold that against you because in the end, you are not the ex. They'll take you on your merits. That's the kind of person who has the stuff of success in a relationship.

You'll get there, because you're also willing to step back and look at yourself objectively, too. When it happens--and it will--you two will be like a rock and join the other folks on here who are happily paired off. And your advice will be that much more valuable because it comes from experience, too, because right now is a hiccup for you.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
This thread isn't for you.

Here is the title: who WANTS to be in a long term relationship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Old 06-21-2015, 04:16 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Why some of you are posting your answers to why you do not want to be in a relationship is beyond me.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Why some of you are posting your answers to why you do not want to be in a relationship is beyond me.
Your thread title said "who wants to be in a LTR" NOT "only post if you really want to be in LTR". You don't get to determine the responses you actually get. Not everyone is going to say yes to a LTR.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Should have been more specific.. Perhaps " who wants to be in a LTR "now".

Old 06-21-2015, 05:04 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,206 times
even though I have pretty much given up, in my heart i want a lifetime monogamous partner but unfortunately, most people today want FWB but call it LTR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships