Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 12:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

He probably doesn't have to go on free dates. Even someone in debt can afford to spend a little money to go out.

Either way, anyone who is dropping more money than they can budget or handle is a chump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Dave and Busters is an arcade specifically targeted towards the older crowd. In some regions they don't allow people under a certain age.

However, I don't ever recall Dave and Busters being "free"... You actually spend more money there than the typical arcade at the boardwalk or similar.

Perhaps the OP was thinking something along the lines of a penny arcade... do they even still exist?
Yeah, I know Dave & Busters (and don't find it remotely enjoyable, predictably), but when I've had to go there for other people's things or take groups there, I've noticed it being more full of people in their twenties than the older set. I used to get dragged there with an ex, when we'd go to his family's holiday celebrations...all his cousins, who were recent college grad age, liked to go. They seemed to be the prime demographic. It was also popular with my coworkers for birthday gettogethers at one workplace, but again, that was a lot of recent grads. So I guess because of that, I associate it with that 20s demographic.

And, yeah, def. not free or cheap. My husband's Navy command for whatever reason decided to do a meet and greet function with their new XO at a Dave and Buster's, and, wow, expensive yet crappy drinks. Not unexpected, though.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
He probably doesn't have to go on free dates. Even someone in debt can afford to spend a little money to go out.

Either way, anyone who is dropping more money than they can budget or handle is a chump
He didn't say just "in debt," though. He literally said, "I have no money."

Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, I know Dave & Busters (and don't find it remotely enjoyable, predictably), but when I've had to go there for other people's things or take groups there, I've noticed it being more full of people in their twenties than the older set. I used to get dragged there with an ex, when we'd go to his family's holiday celebrations...all his cousins, who were recent college grad age, liked to go. They seemed to be the prime demographic. It was also popular with my coworkers for birthday gettogethers at one workplace, but again, that was a lot of recent grads. So I guess because of that, I associate it with that 20s demographic.

And, yeah, def. not free or cheap. My husband's Navy command for whatever reason decided to do a meet and greet function with their new XO at a Dave and Buster's, and, wow, expensive yet crappy drinks. Not unexpected, though.

Dave and busters just opened here and I can't wait to go! Honestly I don't know anything about it but they talked about it on its always sunny in Philadelphia

Old 06-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
It is because of the nostalgia factor.
games consoles nearly killed off arcades in america, but they are still popular in asia so asian immigrants, and genX'rs who hung out in arcades in the 80's go to them to recapture their youth.

Many large cities have arcades that serve alcohol,
Yep, the big hipster thing here in the past year is retro movie theatre "Brew and Views" that combine food, bar, movies with rooms with vintage arcade games. The retro Brew and View concept has been hot for a while, but the retro arcade combo is fairly recent. However, they're def. not cheap or free nights out.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:43 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Dave and busters just opened here and I can't wait to go! Honestly I don't know anything about it but they talked about it on its always sunny in Philadelphia
I liked them in Texas in the evenings... They served alcohol. It was a good place for a date.. the crowd was fit for it.

The ones in NJ kinda ruined it for me... they let too many young kids run around. Even in the evenings, parents bring their kids with them. It felt less of a date place and more of a family place.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM

There have always been kids running around the ones I've had to go to, as well. Seems like the go-to dinner and evening activity for a certain type of young suburban families, here.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
It's pretty decent. The food when I went was decent, wasn't memorable. The games and prizes was a nice kick. They closed the only one in the DC area down for a bit, but a new one is opening about 10-15 minutes from my apartment.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:07 PM

At any rate, if the OP has no money, and his other idea was a walk in the park, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Dave & Buster's date night is out of the realm of possibility.

For the record, a walk in the park would be preferable to me over an evening at Dave & Buster's, x1,000.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM

403 posts, read 597,740 times
Could you ask your parents for money to go on dates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships