Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I completely agree I do better in real life... if I can score a GF that is an 8 in real life, I should be able to do the same online....but you can't because there is too much going against you. With OLD all I can get is 4's to respond to me. OLD is horrible for a man that can do better in real life. The few attractive women are all going after the same 10 percent of guys so you will see those 10 percent of guys proclaim how great OLD is...meanwhile it sucks for the other 90 percent. Also these women fail to realize this 10 percent is talking to multiple other women at once and then when the guy disappears she blames OLD. All she had to do was respond to some other guys and give them a chance.
Oh, here we go again. So, it's a given that men should want to pursue only "8s" and above (or whatever "ranking"), but women shouldn't be so shallow. THEY should be more open minded and willing to date guys they're not attracted to.

SeaofGrass is right. If you guys find the competition for "attractive" women in OLD too tough, then maybe YOU should respond to some women you're not attracted to, and give THEM a chance. Or is that different?

OLD is easy for a minority of people, imo, regardless of how attractive or unattractive. But a big reason so many men complain about it is because in online dating, men are judged and selected or dismissed based largely on their looks alone, which is how we women have always been judged.

The difference is that it's old news for us, because we realized that reality long, long ago (probably before we finished middle school). For men, though, it's a brave new world in which the tables have turned, and they're now rated on the criteria THEY most value. Kind of ironic. And they're having a tough time adjusting.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-28-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 04:19 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Nothing wrong with your looks. I do wonder if the negativity from your experience comes through in your messages. Maybe a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Personally, I don't know how people do online dating for a long period of time. I was on it for a while and was buried with hundreds of bizarre and offensive messages from men.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
I know men less attractive than you who have met their wives through OLD. I'd try a different website. From what I have read POF is bottom of the barrel. In my area Match and Tinder are popular. Lots of people on this forum use OK Cupid.

You are a good looking guy but perhaps need better pictures. The one in your profile isn't the greatest, it's a blurry bathroom selfie. The profile content could use tweaking.

ps: there has plenty of examples of marathoners who have been significantly overweight. Great accomplishment but doesn't necessarily guarantee a great looking body.
Jesus, my body is fine. And I'm not overweight.

I just got a message from some loony tunes person on here who said I could stand to lose some weight.

Going back to what this thread was originally about, online dating just doesn't seem to work for me.....

Old 06-28-2015, 04:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post

I just got a message from some loony tunes person on here who said I could stand to lose some weight.

Going back to what this thread was originally about, online dating just doesn't seem to work for me.....
It doesn't work for most men. If you are comfortable in approaching women IRL, you're much better off.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:28 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:

I think your clothes make you look like you have some extra pounds. Not really a big deal.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I think your clothes make you look like you have some extra pounds. Not really a big deal.
This is my guess as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:

Did you try dating any friends of friends?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:49 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I really don't think his weight is the issue, most women don't mind a couple of extra pounds anyway (OP not saying you're carrying extra weight, just saying in general).

Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Did you try dating any friends of friends?
Uh, I don't really have any friends.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 PM

474 posts, read 384,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Its not your looks. I'm much uglier than you and do fine on OLD. It is something about your profile. If you write a good profile, you should have decent women messaging you. I just respond to those that message me for the most part.

What does your profile read like, Timberline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships