Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicbanana View Post
I know my girlfriend loves me.
If she loved you she wouldn't be texting some other straight dude 10 times a day. Despite what you may think, you are not in a monogamous relationship. Do with that as you will.

And I just wanted to say this once... "You go girl!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
If she loved you she wouldn't be texting some other straight dude 10 times a day. Despite what you may think, you are not in a monogamous relationship. Do with that as you will.

And I just wanted to say this once... "You go girl!!"

Robert5:

Are you suggesting that he date others as well as her?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM

348 posts, read 372,376 times
It's a problem, and just in general, many women have problems managing their male "relationships." A lot of it is based on sacrificing a deep singular romantic connection for the constant high of many mini platonic male relationships (but of course a lot of these men want it to be romantic). This is your best case OP, worst case she's not nearly invested as you are.

There's not much to be done here. Telling her stop will probably go poorly, and even if she does, there will be another "best friend" guy around the corner for her to play with. You're left with telling her how it makes you feel and accept what she decides to do or end things and find a woman who already knows how to properly manager her male relationships (which most definitely includes NOT having a male "best" friend).

Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO 550 View Post
I think you should inform your girlfriend that you too are going to see an old friend. Let's say (Erica)...(make one up) wants you to come over........for APPLE PIE and a glass of milk.....

See how she likes that!
Nothing more innocent than eating warm apple pie and milk with a newfound BFF of the opposite sex at 2am.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
From everything I've read, if you force a girl to an ultimatum about their best guy friend, that it will be the end of the relationship 9 times out of 10. The situation requires a little more tact. I just don't know how to proceed
That's because 9 times out of 10 if one partner is acting so inappropriately it's because they are unhappy in their relationship anyway.

And he's not her "best friend". You don't become "best friends" with someone over snapchat in two months. He's her "crush", someone she's fascinated with.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I know my girlfriend loves me. We talk about having kids and living together. She has this guy friend that shes known for a couple months. He lives in a different city about 2 1/2 hours away. They text and send selfie snapchats to each other at least 10 times a day or more. She talks about him all the time - his name comes up LITERALLY every time we hang out together. I've been dealing with it well and am trying not to be jealous or annoyed. Last night he snapchatted her his face and the caption said "I love you best friend". Wtf is that? Now I'm wondering if they're telling each other that they love each other regularly. He is having relationship problems and my GF told me he hasnt had sex in 9 months. His status says single. From what I know about guys, being one myself, is that hes lonely and seeking attention from the opposite sex. My girlfriend has an issue with leading guys on unintentionally, its happened in the past. I haven't met him yet but she's offered to have us meet. I know I'm not supposed to show jealousy or tell her what to do but sometimes I'd rather just give up on the relationship rather than deal with this obnoxious issue. I love her so much but I hate feeling this way! How am I supposed to feel about this? How do i deal with the situation?

I tell my friends I love them, male and female and so does Mr. CSD.

It is your choice to accept the fact that she has male friends or move on.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
10 email a day? Something is fishy. I rarely even bugged my GF now wife that much.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:58 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I dated a gal earlier this year. I broke it off but we're still friends. Facebook too. She just posted a week ago that she's in a relationship, complete with a picture of the couple. I just accessed the dating site where we met, and behold......

...she's VERY active & available.

Keep in mind that I'm 51 & she's 60.......the games carry on until we die.

Love a lot and have fun.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
There is no way you "should" feel about it. Despite the opinions spewed by many - there is nothing particularly wrong with partners having opposite sex friends. At all. People pretend there is - but there is not.

If however _you_ have issues with it - there is nothing wrong with that either. That is you - and what you require from relationships. The choice is yours to either live with this and deal with it - or explain to her that this is not what you want from a relationship and either she does something about it - or you have to end the relationship.

But do not think of it in terms of what you or her "should" do. There are no "shoulds" here.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
I know my girlfriend loves me. We talk about having kids and living together. She has this guy friend that shes known for a couple months. He lives in a different city about 2 1/2 hours away. They text and send selfie snapchats to each other at least 10 times a day or more. She talks about him all the time - his name comes up LITERALLY every time we hang out together. I've been dealing with it well and am trying not to be jealous or annoyed. Last night he snapchatted her his face and the caption said "I love you best friend". Wtf is that? Now I'm wondering if they're telling each other that they love each other regularly. He is having relationship problems and my GF told me he hasnt had sex in 9 months. His status says single. From what I know about guys, being one myself, is that hes lonely and seeking attention from the opposite sex. My girlfriend has an issue with leading guys on unintentionally, its happened in the past. I haven't met him yet but she's offered to have us meet. I know I'm not supposed to show jealousy or tell her what to do but sometimes I'd rather just give up on the relationship rather than deal with this obnoxious issue. I love her so much but I hate feeling this way! How am I supposed to feel about this? How do i deal with the situation?
Nothing wrong with OS friends but this seems to cross many boundries (I would set).

1) Constant contact all hours of the day and night
2) Professions of affection (love even !)
3) He's the topic of conversation with you and GF
3) GF Talking about sex with him
4) short-term friend with the above issues (not a life-long one)
5) Your GF's history

Time to set some guidelines for proper behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships