Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 16,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I don't see these things as percentages. A person is more than the sum of his parts. Everything is important. A relationship between a partier and a homebody or between an extreme saver and an extreme saver are going to be difficult. It's not about percentages.
So you'd rather spend and party than save. Not exactly the makings of a good marriage, especially if it's the other person's hard earned money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 5,664 times
Quote:
Marrying for love doesn't mean picking some person off the street and falling in love with them. In my opinion, you should only marry someone that you are in love with AND who you are on the same page with lifestyle wise and financially, among other things. This doesn't mean that love is the ONLY thing that matters. It means that love is a prerequisite for everything else.
No love isn't the only thing that matters but I would think it was at least a major priority rather than an afterthought.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlocke View Post
So you'd rather spend and party than save. Not exactly the makings of a good marriage, especially if it's the other person's hard earned money.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Your post doesn't make any sense in regards to what I posted. Please reread my post and then respond in regards to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourisheldon View Post
No love isn't the only thing that matters but I would think it was at least a major priority rather than an afterthought.
This doesn't seem to make sense in regards to my post either. What made you think that I think love is an afterthought? I said it was a prerequisite - meaning that it's the first requirement.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,664 times
Quote:
This doesn't seem to make sense in regards to my post either. What made you think that I think love is an afterthought? I said it was a prerequisite - meaning that it's the first requirement.
No offence but you talked about finances "among other things". What other things? Home ownership? Job? What were you trying to say when you referred to "lifestyle"? It doesn't sound like love is that much of a priority for you.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
No offence but you talked about finances "among other things". What other things? Home ownership? Job? What were you trying to say when you referred to "lifestyle"? It doesn't sound like love is that much of a priority for you.
Really? That's what you are getting from my posts? I would NEVER marry with out love. Love is THE most important thing. But it's not the ONLY thing that a marriage can survive on. If one person is a huge spender and the other is a huge saver - this will most likely lead to problems. That should be worked out before marriage. If one person wants to go clubbing every night and the other person would rather stay home - that might lead to problems. If one person wants to live near their family and the other person wants to live in a huge city half way across the country - there might be problems. If one person wants to have children and the other person doesn't - there might be problems. Loving someone is easy. Making sure that you can love them through thick and thin, sickness and health, and for richer or poorer requires MORE than just love. But with out love - there is no point to getting married, in my opinion. I couldn't spend every day of my life with someone I wasn't in love with.

I'm madly in love with my husband. I wouldn't be with him if I wasn't.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:22 PM

78 posts, read 66,257 times
Quote:
Marrying for love doesn't mean picking some person off the street and falling in love with them. In my opinion, you should only marry someone that you are in love with AND who you are on the same page with lifestyle wise and financially, among other things. This doesn't mean that love is the ONLY thing that matters. It means that love is a prerequisite for everything else.
I'm not being funny but without exception every time I've been told about lifestyle it means the money that buys a certain lifestyle. In 2015 women shouldn't still be talking like this. Why not earn your own money.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
There are plenty of other things...children, attitude towards religion, political view point, how to spend vacation time, country or city living.....all go into stable relationships.....along with love. It's possible to love someone and not be compatible with them. Sad but it happens.

However the opposite of that is not finding a mark with money to marry you when you don't love them and just put out to keep them spending their paycheck on you. That is not what marriage is about.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydJones View Post
I'm not being funny but without exception every time I've been told about lifestyle it means the money that buys a certain lifestyle. In 2015 women shouldn't still be talking like this. Why not earn your own money.
No...it's not always about money....it's about attitude towards many things in life.

And earning our own money is fine....it's the OP that wants to marry a chump for his paycheck in turn for her having sex with him...not Dewdroplet.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydJones View Post
If you read my posts - that is not what I'm referring to at all so save the lecture.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:40 PM

78 posts, read 66,257 times
Quote:
If you read my posts - that is not what I'm referring to at all so save the lecture.
I've heard that one too. Just be honest. Money matters. Perhaps more than anything else, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships