Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times

Advertisements

So...you didn't want people to answer your questions with well-reasoned answers, then?

Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promediacam15 View Post
You can give all the explanations that you listed but BOTTOM LINE!!!! NONE of US know what the future holds.
As I believe I mentioned, numerous times. Is anybody debating this basic reality? I don't think so.

Quote:
And as far as a single person goes, if you are very savvy with your money and in the event you loose your job, you still can manage.
Also true of married people...times two, actually. If they are savvy financial planners, they, too, can weather storms and unforeseen circumstances better than those who do not do a good job of planning. Common sense. You seem to think that only single people can plan, married people cannot...when in fact, married people may be in a much BETTER position to plan well, due to a higher incidence of multiple income sources.

Quote:
The bad thing is that young couples today dont really discuss their financial future together because alot of them had free rides with living at home with parents paying for college and other expenses while growing up.
Says who? Are you basing this on anything other than anecdotal evidence? You say, "It is very rare" for "kids who are getting married today" to have any aptitude at financial planning. I am wondering at a. your sources for data, and b. where all the married people who aren't "kids today" fit into the picture.

Aren't you also ignoring the millions of couples who DON'T marry young/and or prior to achieving any financial goals?

I think the "all the kid today marry young and are stupid about saving and all of them had free rides from their parents and don't know squat" assumptions around which you are basing your argument limit how seriously anybody can take it. Basically, your argument is just boiling down to "kids today...they don't know what they're doing." Which isn't much of an argument, and also doesn't take into account the millions of married couples who AREN'T kids and/or DO know what they're doing.

Quote:
And when they got married, some parents pay for their wedding. So what financial things do they prepare themselves with? If you grew up in a home where you had parents to teach you financial responsibility then you will better prepare. However it is very rare now with kids who are getting married today and over the last few years.
My husband and I paid for our own wedding. Doing so didn't make us any more or less "financially prepared" for married life. Our lifestyle choices, spending and saving habits, common sense, and years of managing our own personal household budgets took care of that.

Your whole issue seems to be "Foolish kids can't handle their money." Um, okay...fine, if you think so. Really doesn't have much to do with "how can people get married, there's no benefit to it." Two separate discussions, really.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 6,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know many financially responsible couples in their 20s and 30s.
No need to wait until your 40s to get married.,.. then it can often be too late to have kids.

OP, just because YOU are financially ill-prepared for marriage does not mean everyone is!
I am financially prepared for myself. I am money savvy.

As for as people in their 20s and 30s go if their parents taught them responsibility and didnt spoon feed them for college and weddings , yeah they are ready. But that is very rare with some young couples getting married today in those ages. It seems like couples are waiting for their parents to bail them out in case they hit a fork in the road.

As far as kids go, a friend of mine, she is 39 years old and her husband is 45 and they just had a baby girl a few months ago.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So...you didn't want people to answer your questions with well-reasoned answers, then?

Okay.

As I believe I mentioned, numerous times. Is anybody debating this basic reality? I don't think so.

I agree

Also true of married people...times two, actually. If they are savvy financial planners, they, too, can weather storms and unforeseen circumstances better than those who do not do a good job of planning. Common sense. You seem to think that only single people can plan, married people cannot...when in fact, married people may be in a much BETTER position to plan well, due to a higher incidence of multiple income sources.

Yes but that multiple income source may not always be there.

Says who? Are you basing this on anything other than anecdotal evidence? You say, "It is very rare" that "kids who are getting married today" to have any aptitude at financial planning. I am wondering at a. your sources for data, and b. where all the married people who aren't "kids today" fit into the picture.

Aren't you also ignoring the millions of couples who DON'T marry young/and or prior to achieving any financial goals?

I think the "all the kid today marry young and are stupid about saving and all of them had free rides from their parents and don't know squat" assumptions around which you are basing your argument limit how seriously anybody can take it. Basically, your argument is just boiling down to "kids today...they don't know what they're doing." Which isn't much of an argument, and also doesn't take into account the millions of married couples who AREN'T kids and/or DO know what they're doing.

And when they got married, some parents pay for their wedding. So what financial things do they prepare themselves with? If you grew up in a home where you had parents to teach you financial responsibility then you will better prepare. However it is very rare now with kids who are getting married today and over the last few years.
My husband and I paid for our own wedding. Doing so didn't make us any more or less "financially prepared" for married life. Our lifestyle choices, spending and saving habits, common sense, and years of managing our own personal household budgets took care of that.[/quote]

But you paid for your own wedding that is the thing. That shows that you had financial responsibility by working as a team to plan your wedding.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Quote:

But you paid for your own wedding that is the thing. That shows that you had financial responsibility by working as a team to plan your wedding.
Uh. Yeah. It's far from the only thing that defines our financial responsibility, and far from the only incidence of us working as a team.

THIS is "how people still get married today." You appear to think that the majority of those who choose to marry are yahoos who get in over their heads because they don't know any better, throw caution to the wind, and don't think about basic, simple things like financial planning and compatibility.

I don't see it.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:46 AM

881 posts, read 2,245,656 times
Quote:
I am financially prepared for myself. I am money savvy.

As for as people in their 20s and 30s go if their parents taught them responsibility and didnt spoon feed them for college and weddings , yeah they are ready. But that is very rare with some young couples getting married today in those ages. It seems like couples are waiting for their parents to bail them out in case they hit a fork in the road.
So this is what you are observing? Or do you have actually data to back up your opinion? I haven't noticed this at all. I can think of plenty of examples I've that are just the opposite. Most of your complaints about marriage having nothing to do with being married. Irresponsible people can be single or married, they are going to have a tough life either way.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Uh. Yeah. It's far from the only thing that defines our financial responsibility, and far from the only incidence of us working as a team.

THIS is "how people still get married today." You appear to think that the majority of those who choose to marry are yahoos who get in over their heads because they don't know any better, throw caution to the wind, and don't think about basic, simple things like financial planning and compatibility.

I don't see it.
Well it seems like it is because I have seen it with couples or parents with couples who got married recently or over the past few years where the parents paid the whole wedding or parents giving their kids money to buy their first home. I mean how do you learn responsibility with that? Lets say you and your husband plan a vacation to the Caribbean or Hawaii or something., I highly doubt that you will be asking either of your parents to pay for your trip or if you want to buy a new car. You and your husband will buy it with your own money. But paying for your wedding was a great foundation showing that you and your husband planned your journey together. Not expecting your parents to pay for things,

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No, they don't. Even with both of our incomes, no way that kids can enter into the picture. Even though we really want kids. Hell, I don't know how anyone with kids does it, especially single parents.

If anyone is old enough to remember when men were the primary bread winners everything was a lot more affordable. Then, in the eighties, with the rise in the "Working Girl" culture prices have only increased. The single women that I know that are doing it without any help, earn like $60,000 a year.
Very true!!!!

Well yeah things were affordable back in the day and was bought WHEN NEEDED!! Problem today is that young couples want huge houses that are over 2500 square feet for their 1st home that they should normally purchase later in life when they have owned several houses. Also wanting expensive smart phones, tablets, cars, clothes, etc. Problem is that people have really become greedy. Like a little child wanting a big toy when it is out on the shelf at the toy store.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

13,572 posts, read 9,586,462 times
If we had clear and unflinching cognizance of all of life's risks, vagaries and setbacks, how many of us would have chosen to be born?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 AM

920 posts, read 923,794 times
For people who are truly financially irresponsible, marriage is actually perfect.

Because only one person must work 10 years, then the non working spouse gets 50% of their social security for just being alive

And after their working spouse dies, they take on the full amount of what their working spouse received in place of the 50% they were getting.

They also get medical benefits (medicare) at age 62, 3 years early, off their spouses record once their spouse turns retirement age. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

No doubt, two heads are better than one

Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 AM

920 posts, read 923,794 times
Also foster care is an option for people who want children, They come with a small subsidy which likely won't cover all of the childs needs depending upon age,(the younger, the more likely it covers) but much of their costs will be covered.
And the chid receives free medical benefits until age 18. Special perks if the child wants to attend College.

But parents must show they can financially stand on your own two feet prior to fostering
So you need to show at least one paycheck stub, that's key. So there is a way to have a family fairly cheaply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships