Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Different psychotropics manifest differently for different people, side effect-wise, so it's hard to say. I've known people who didn't suffer a single one of the possible side effects, and others who experience side effects that were unexpected.

But a common cause of people who have bipolar disorder voluntarily going off meds is that they report that while they are very satisfied with the numbing of depressive emotions, they miss the highs of the manic phases, and don't enjoy those being suppressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Different psychotropics manifest differently for different people, side effect-wise, so it's hard to say. I've known people who didn't suffer a single one of the possible side effects, and others who experience side effects that were unexpected.

But a common cause of people who have bipolar disorder voluntarily going off meds is that they report that while they are very satisfied with the numbing of depressive emotions, they miss the highs of the manic phases, and don't enjoy those being suppressed.
most depression meds don't lower just depression, they lower all your emotions including happiness, so it is a bit disturbing when things that used to make you hhhhhaaaaapppppppyyyyy, just make you kinda happy. one of my friends said "thats cause normal people don't get that happy, and the drugs make you normal" and at that point I felt sorry for normal people. But when you think about it bipolar does basically mean you emotions are cranked up to 20, with all positive emotions leading to happy and negative leading to sad which is normal for everyone but just a faster trip for us..

Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
most depression meds don't lower just depression, they lower all your emotions including happiness, so it is a bit disturbing when things that used to make you hhhhhaaaaapppppppyyyyy, just make you kinda happy. one of my friends said "thats cause normal people don't get that happy, and the drugs make you normal" and at that point I felt sorry for normal people. But when you think about it bipolar does basically mean you emotions are cranked up to 20, with all positive emotions leading to happy and negative leading to sad which is normal for everyone but just a faster trip for us..
That kinda sucks.

I was on depression meds for 6 weeks and felt like a zombie. Never again. No sex drive, which sucks even when you are single , I felt like I would agree to just anything anybody suggests and I felt like in a bubble or cocoon.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM

491 posts, read 402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Just as I wouldnt let a woman with a mental illness babysit or take care of my kids, I wouldnt date a woman with mental illness either.

Would you let someone who is on anti depression meds watch your children? Not me. Not anyone else who I personally know. I wouldnt want to date or try to develop a romantic relationship with that person either.
I sure hope you never have to take your kids to the doctor.

Medscape: Medscape Access (about the high rate of depression in physicians)

Highest Suicide Rate by Profession | New Health Guide

I suppose that having worked in healthcare for so long, I am inured to the realities of mental health in America. Not just in the general population, but among healthcare providers. Back in my ER days, it was not uncommon to hear the nurses discuss the benefits of Paxil vs Celexa, and to wonder if Wellbutrin really helped you lose weight. Some of this was tongue-in-cheek, but much of it was genuine. The physicians, NPs and PAs probably felt they had a little more to lose, reputation - wise, and tended to be less forthcoming. But many of us knew about each other's struggles with anxiety, depression, and other issues.

Now that I'm away from the bedside I can see much more clearly the stigma still associated with mental illness, and it is truly perplexing. I have anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. I am not defined by these illnesses. I function very highly. I cope. I use many therapies, including lifestyle interventions, different types of counseling, and medications.

If I was diabetic, I would seek treatment from all angles as well. If I had hypertension, I would do the same thing. My brain doesn't produce or respond to certain neurotransmitters they way that the "average" brain does. So what?

I wouldn't date someone so uninformed or unenlightened, or quick to judge. My $0.02.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
This is the common complaint of those who medicate for bipolar...that the meds often just level everything out to a humdrum level and make them feel flattened out all the time. In some cases, they'll go off meds and willingly take the lows so as not to lose the highs. Nobody really wants to sacrifice feeling amazing as a part and parcel of also not feeling despondent.

As I understand from clinical studies thus far, anyway.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:02 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I see the aim of this thread...
It's to minimize mental illness.

Let's not.
I've been in situations that most
would not have survived.....
With people who were on meds.......
They can go for years being OK.
Then one day they snap.
I came through something that others
would've been destroyed by.
All because I gave someone a chance....
Someone who I thought I could save.

Don't spin this into a cheer leading
thread for mental illness.
That's dangerous & total b.s.
Have you heard of histrionic personality disorder? You should check it out.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is the common complaint of those who medicate for bipolar...that the meds often just level everything out to a humdrum level and make them feel flattened out all the time. In some cases, they'll go off meds and willingly take the lows so as not to lose the highs. Nobody really wants to sacrifice feeling amazing as a part and parcel of also not feeling despondent.

As I understand from clinical studies thus far, anyway.
Yrp and what makes it worse is when on meds you keep hearing from friends family, spouses/partners that its such a wonderful change in you in normal day to day life, but those same people will question why you are not the life of the party anymore at social functions and parties or in the case of romantic partners they wonder why you are not as passionate in the bedroom as you used to be.
When I used to work for TCMHMR(tarrent county mental health & mental retardation) there was a guy who became a client after a suicide attempt he was 44 and had been married 26 years and according to his wive and kids and family, he was a wonderful husband, father and friend to most and happy 90% of the time. he worked from home for 8 of those years, did not frequent bars etc etc.... was pretty much there for his family first and foremost, What changed for him was his kids grew up and moved out which he missed them but he was happy they were doing well and the visited often, but then his wife wanted to work outside the home, and started making friends and developed an active social life, meanwhile he started feeling more and more isolated, he expressed his feelings she said he would get used to it and that it was just a new chapter in their lives.

Well he got into counseling, she took off work while he got better she went back to work 3 months later and a month after that he shot himself in the head.

now this guy was not diagnosed bipolar until he was 44, and was not showing signs of it until then, only because it was not triggered, he was lucky enough to have had the life he wanted until the age of 44.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:46 PM

176 posts, read 189,545 times
I think that the same way we all have some physical health problems, we also have emotional and/or mental issues, which we carry within from childhood or we develop along the way. Some are more severe than others or controlled better, that's all. This being said, I wouldn't date someone with severe emotional or mental problems because I don' t feel that I know enough about this as to be a good partner and I'd be easily overwhelmed.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Sure I would...........how could I be hypocrite...........I have ADHD and OCD

and I am finding I like someone with a few quirks, as long as they have it together for the most part.

1 in 4 will have MH in their life check CDC.

There are a lot of narcissistic people out there that will adamantly deny they have MH issues when clearly they do.

Eating a bit better, exercising a lot, taking a lot of Vitamin B, and meditation do best by me.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 07-10-2015 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Narcissism in itself and the putting down of others is a form of mental illness, only we glorify certain mental illnesses and look down on the ones that often pose no threat to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships