Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
What churches and religious organizations are being sued by the LGB community?
Gay man sues publishers over Bible verses - USATODAY.com

Millionaire gay couple is suing to force a church to hold their wedding

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings | Fox News

It's a bit silly really. LGTB totally against religion because they don't support their views, yet, they go sue them so they can accommodate their views? What's next, someone suing a vegetarian organization/group because he/she was not allowed to eat meat?

Old 07-15-2015, 01:45 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
The cake shop was not sued...

They were fined by the state because they:
1. failed to provide a public accommodation to a protected class
- gays are a protected class, by law, in the state of Oregon, where this happened

2. they sell cakes to the public. They refused to sell a cake to an individual based solely on their sexual orientation, which is illegal in the state of Oregon

3. they posted the gay couple's personal info including name, address and phone number on facebook, causing the couple to get death threats, caused mental anguish, etc

There is a LOT more to this story than most people lead on. Read up on it unless you want to be called out for being ignorant

If you are referencing another case, do tell... i'm sure there are similar circumstances

No one is being persecuted for their religious beliefs

But you cannot provide a public accommodation and then discriminate, that's illegal...
I wasn't talking about the cake shop (in fact, I had to look up what you where talking about)

Hobby lobby and chickfila where what came immediately to mind.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:56 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Spot on.

There is supporting someone's lifestyle by accepting people as they are and working with them to ensure they have the same rights as everyone else.

There is feeling like one doesn't have a dog in this hunt, so one doesn't care one way or the other, but would essentially feel that rights are rights, and that rights should not be given or denied to people based on gender, creed, ethnicity, or sexuality. "Not for me, but not going to say other people can't have it, either."

And then there are bigots. If someone says they don't support marriage among homosexuals, then that person is essentially in this group because they are saying that some people, because of their sexuality, should not have the same rights as everyone else. That is discrimination, and discrimination is the manifestation of nothing less than bigotry.

Look, people, you either believe everyone should have civil rights, or you don't--and if you don't, you're a bigot. It's really that simple. If the word offends you, too bad. Don't be offensive in your arrogance and belief that your way should be the only way, and don't seek to deny others the same rights you have because you, in all of your blistering self-importance, think you should have some kind of power of approval over someone else's relationships and marriage (indeed, believe that anyone gives a rat's arse whether you approve of their sexuality or not in the first place), you won't be considered a bigot. No one is forcing you to be a bigot. It's something you can control. It's a choice.

Totally agree

Old 07-15-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Nope. Bigots deserve respect too. That is why I haven’t insulted you the same way you have insulted me.

I have not said anything yet about not adopting. I support the idea that its better for a child to grow with both father and mother figure but I have not brought this to this debate. If a gay couple, adult and teenage lover couple, person and his pet couple, etc. want to adopt a child, well, they can do what they want in a country where they get support to do that. Like I said, live and let live. Whatever preference/orientation wants to adopt, well, go for it. But what right does it give them to go and attack religions and try to change them even if they don’t get in their way?

Just admit you hate religious people. If I hated gay people I wouldn’t work with one and even go out to eat. I also don’t like people who cheat on their spouse for example, yet, regardless of me not liking that lifestyle I still respect them as people and let them live as they chose. See, that’s the differences with LGTB. They want to be special by trying to change religion to accommodate them. Now that sounds pretty hateful, doesn’t it?

What do you think of LGTB suing religious organizations/establishments/churches/publishers?

The difference is i DONT hate religious people and never said so. What makes you think i hate any group per se?

In any case, i believe that we are all the same: you, me, my religious aunt, my gay friend, jews, blacks, etc, etc. We all have the same rights. We all deserve to be free.

You dont believe that, you believe in segregating a group of people because of their sexual orientation.

I guess thats the difference between you and me, and i dont think we will ever agree on this topic.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Totally agree
Kind of sick of this crap on this forum. People need to mind their own damn business. Or, as one friend of mine, who is gay, said, who asked them?

And it kills me when people say it should be put to a vote. Inalienable rights are not something to vote on, unless, of course, they're okay with you and me voting on whether they should be able to get married. And believe me, on this forum, I see people who probably should not only never get married, but would be doing what I consider a favor to society if they walled themselves up and avoided human contact entirely!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,198,857 times
Bigots deserve respect?

That has got to be one of the most asinine notions I've ever seen put forth anywhere.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The difference is i DONT hate religious people and never said so. What makes you think i hate any group per se?
Same thing here. I don't hate LGTB either. I let them live as they please the same way I would let a cheater do as she/he wants, a liar, etc. I'll still be buddy with them regardless of me supporting their lifestyle or not.

Let orientations/preferences do as they want and let religions practice whatever they believe in without suing them to simply accommodate someone's lifestyle. Respect goes both ways.

Quote:
In any case, i believe that we are all the same: you, me, my religious aunt, my gay friend, jews, blacks, etc, etc. We all have the same rights. We all deserve to be free
Yup. This applies to other orientations/preferences out there that are beginning to want to make their voices also be heard and be accepted and supported by society. If LGTB could do it I can see other preferences/orientations as well achieving a lot.

Quote:
I guess thats the difference between you and me, and i dont think we will ever agree on this topic.
I guess not. Live and let live .

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Gay man sues publishers over Bible verses - USATODAY.com

Millionaire gay couple is suing to force a church to hold their wedding

City threatens to arrest ministers who refuse to perform same-sex weddings | Fox News

It's a bit silly really. LGTB totally against religion because they don't support their views, yet, they go sue them so they can accommodate their views? What's next, someone suing a vegetarian organization/group because he/she was not allowed to eat meat?

The group of vegetarians is not a good analogy.

Now, if those vegetarians would promote that jews didnt have the right to vote, now...that would be a good analogy.

With your examples and your contradictory logic and your "everyone deserves respect" bs, you are actually saying that the people restricting OTHER PEOPLE RIGHTS are the ones that deserve respect.

NO, if a group of people is advocating for other group of people to NOT have the same rights as them, we have the right to critisize them. This is basic human decency that you dont seem to understand.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Same thing here. I don't hate LGTB either. I let them live as they please the same way I would let a cheater do as she/he wants, a liar, etc. I'll still be buddy with them regardless of me supporting their lifestyle or not.

Let orientations/preferences do as they want and let religions practice whatever they believe in without suing them to simply accommodate someone's lifestyle. Respect goes both ways.

Yup. This applies to other orientations/preferences out there that are beginning to want to make their voices also be heard and be accepted and supported by society. If LGTB could do it I can see other preferences/orientations as well achieving a lot.

I guess not. Live and let live .

You dont believe in let and let live, honey. If you would, you werent be defending the rights of some groups to stop gay people of having the same rights as you.

Apply those empty words to yourself: live and let live.

those "bigots" and groups you are defending, dont wanna live and let live. Quite the opposite actually.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Bigots deserve respect?

That has got to be one of the most asinine notions I've ever seen put forth anywhere.
Worse thing is that that poster is masking her/his own bigotry behind the "live and let live" concept, wich is the opposite of what she/he believes.

A bigot trying to pass as a tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships