Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,990 times

Advertisements

So lately I've been thinking of applying to law school, I've taken a couple of the LSAT practice tests and have scored in the high 160's, which should be enough to het me into a decent law school. However I am 33 years old and single with no kids, I have a well paying job that I really don't enjoy anymore in a field that no matter how much I try to like I just don't. I know it will be a daunting task working full time and going to law school part time, but I really haven't enjoyed what I've been doing for a living and can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life.

I spoke to my dad about this today and he said its a bad idea, he said I should be concentrating on getting married and starting a family rather than go back to school. Now my dad is 75 years old so he has a very old school way of thinking, but throughout my life he's always been very encouraging and sportive of my education. So obviously that he said this to me was pretty disappointing, I feel like I can pursue an education for a second career and still get married and have a family, but he's still my dad and I feel like maybe he has a point?

Anyway was just looking for some advice and to see if anybody else has been in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:07 PM

389 posts, read 426,602 times
Hands down continue your education.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
I would vote for education but think carefully about law school. Seems like the general market is bad, law school is expensive, and general satisfaction practicing law is low. What research did you do when deciding on law school?

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I have never believed in setting a specific goal to "find a partner and start a family." I mean, what exactly would you do differently to "concentrate" on it that you aren't already doing???

If it were me, I would continue my education so that you can meet more people in an organic way. Join, explore, try. That will increase your chances of finding someone you actually do want to breed with.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 07-22-2015 at 07:21 PM..

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Do both.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would vote for education but think carefully about law school. Seems like the general market is bad, law school is expensive, and general satisfaction practicing law is low. What research did you do when deciding on law school?
Yes, I am aware of the pitfalls with law school. The cost is probably what is causing the most apprehension about it for me. Honestly, I always wanted to be a lawyer, but was too lazy in my twenties and decided to go the business route.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
How do you concentrate on getting married? What does that require?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Going to law school at 33 and that kind of cost... is just highly risky and not likely to pay off unless you're in a top 5 law school.

You're better off just living your life and trying to get yourself well off financially and building wealth.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM

780 posts, read 678,444 times
Law school is a lot of research, paper work and what not. It's not really like how you see it on TV...well...maybe Suits. Ya, you'd do what the associates do, a lot of the grunt work.

Well, I'm not a lawyer but my ex was studying to be one and last time I heard from him (a few years ago), it's just more school and internship of some sort before he can even do what he intends to practice in. My friend's gf is a lawyer, most of her time is spent on reading and research. Endless after hours work on reading and research. I only say this because you said you've always wanted to become a lawyer since your early years and most people in their early years assume being a lawyer just means fighting cases and maybe you don't exactly know what you're getting into (well, maybe that was just me, with how I perceived what lawyers actually do).

But anyways, you can find someone to marry while you're in school. It would be worse for you to actually get married then resent your husband, thinking you could have been a lawyer, instead you chose to marry.

I personally don't think you're too old to go to law school, but you really have to know what you're getting into, not just go by what you think you know...at least compared to what you knew about it a decade ago.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
You are probably only going to live this one life. Do what YOU think you should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships