U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM

4,545 posts, read 11,484,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Well, this one is clearly in the toad category, but I wouldn't let it keep you from going out on more dates. As a veteran of many bad dates, you have all my sympathy. But there are some good people out there. BTW, what is AMI/SRQ?
Anna Maria Island/Sarasota

You know, I don't think I've ever had a bad date! This was my first ever "bad" date!

I still think that this online dating is wack!!!! I mean when I really start thinking about why these people aren't out at events meeting people instead of behind a computer screen, it perplexes me. I've never done this online dating before, cruised pictures while bored but never actually used it as a dating tool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM

7,251 posts, read 16,127,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
You poor thing...I went the online dating route and that is how my current hubby and I met, but boy, like songinthewind said, there were a LOT of toads.....at least the guy you met didn't want to "swap underwear" during dinner

Seriously, there are some nice guys out there - your first just wasn't so great. I met a lot of nice guys and while there was no "chemistry" we still had some fun times and there were more nice guys than toads.....
Swapping underwear at dinner?
I want to hear more about this guy. Sounds kind of like the guy that told me on our first meeting that during sex, he wanted to be hit in the head lightly with a hammer. It's supposed to make the orgasm more intense. I thought he was joking but he was serious. Didn't see that guy anymore.
Tell us all about the underwear thing.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 3,976,085 times
Lady, thanks for sharing this experience with us. Just when I think a date with a stranger would be a nice distraction, stories like this snap me right back into satisfaction.

{as she looks around the room at her goldfish and parakeets...}

I'm afraid that if I went on a date like this one, I'd have that lemon sucking look on my face the entire time....lol.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM

10,546 posts, read 11,797,202 times
LOL thanks for the update! What a hilarious description of the evening. At least you got a funny story out of it. Gotta wonder if women find him so attractive why he is still looking online! And telling you what you "really" should order for dinner! Like you don't have a brain of your own! LOL

Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM

13,555 posts, read 14,382,432 times
I never did any online dating, but met plenty of other incompatible types on my own. One guy reeked so bad of some sort of men's cologne that to this day if I get a whiff of it it brings back bad memories. Plus we disagreed about everything, and not in a friendly ha ha way. Another time I got up from dinner to use the restroom and when I came back the guy was looking through my check register! Sheesh. Anyway, think of them as mini-adventures and always make sure you're safe and have a physical and situational escape plan. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,971,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Swapping underwear at dinner?
I want to hear more about this guy. Sounds kind of like the guy that told me on our first meeting that during sex, he wanted to be hit in the head lightly with a hammer. It's supposed to make the orgasm more intense. I thought he was joking but he was serious. Didn't see that guy anymore.
Tell us all about the underwear thing.

Gee, maybe we met the same guy????? <g> This one seemed okay - we had emailed, talked on the phone, interesting conversations, etc. Agreed to meet him at a very nice restaurant. The food was good, however halfway through dinner, he leaned over and asked me to go to the ladies room, he would go to the men's room, we'd remove our respective underwear, meet outside the restrooms, exchange them and wear each other's the rest of the night. He said it was fun and he and his secretary did it all the time....Kinda ruined my appetite and ended the night........

I met some *I* wanted to hit on the head with a hammer, but no one asked me to hit him

One guy was really into Star Trek and all through dinner he'd yell out "beam me up Scotty!" if he wanted to make a point or thought something was funny...this was on our third date - the first two he never did that, guess he felt "comfortable" by that time...last time I saw him! One other "toad" was a fairly nice guy, to talk to and write to...met him in person and he didn't walk, he actually hopped and skipped (hmmmm, maybe he was a real toad in disguise!!!), when the check came for our lunch, he had conveniently forgotten his wallet and wanted to skip out on the tab....never saw him again either.

Those three were the worst, the rest of the guys I met were really nice, funny and intelligent, but there was no "chemistry" so we remained friends, which was also nice.....

Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

4,545 posts, read 11,484,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Gee, maybe we met the same guy????? <g> This one seemed okay - we had emailed, talked on the phone, interesting conversations, etc. Agreed to meet him at a very nice restaurant. The food was good, however halfway through dinner, he leaned over and asked me to go to the ladies room, he would go to the men's room, we'd remove our respective underwear, meet outside the restrooms, exchange them and wear each other's the rest of the night. He said it was fun and he and his secretary did it all the time....Kinda ruined my appetite and ended the night........

I met some *I* wanted to hit on the head with a hammer, but no one asked me to hit him

One guy was really into Star Trek and all through dinner he'd yell out "beam me up Scotty!" if he wanted to make a point or thought something was funny...this was on our third date - the first two he never did that, guess he felt "comfortable" by that time...last time I saw him! One other "toad" was a fairly nice guy, to talk to and write to...met him in person and he didn't walk, he actually hopped and skipped (hmmmm, maybe he was a real toad in disguise!!!), when the check came for our lunch, he had conveniently forgotten his wallet and wanted to skip out on the tab....never saw him again either.

Those three were the worst, the rest of the guys I met were really nice, funny and intelligent, but there was no "chemistry" so we remained friends, which was also nice.....
We were certainly no where close to swapping even dandruff!
The beam me up man would have really gotten on my nerves!
The hop, skip & jumpy kind would be amusing for a moment....lol!

I do believe I mentioned that I 4.0'd my Logic classes in college; he didn't seem to understand that...because it was made as a point against something he had said & I couldn't believe I was still in my seat and not rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Shots of Jager would have lended so much more to my date!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM

57 posts, read 359,111 times
Welll, I would certianly say don't throw online dating out the window because of that loser. I met my fiance online and we hit it off instantly. But before him, I went on some pretty horendous dates that made me want to poke my eyes out...as that was a better alternative. I had this one guy that I talked to over the phone/email for about a month before we went out. Apparently that month that we spent getting to know each over the phone constituted as us being together (in his eyes), which made him think I was fair game for him to have his creepy hands all over me all night. Needless to say I cut the date very short as he couldn't understand MY problem...after all we'd known each other for whole month!!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,971,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
We were certainly no where close to swapping even dandruff!
The beam me up man would have really gotten on my nerves!
The hop, skip & jumpy kind would be amusing for a moment....lol!

I do believe I mentioned that I 4.0'd my Logic classes in college; he didn't seem to understand that...because it was made as a point against something he had said & I couldn't believe I was still in my seat and not rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Shots of Jager would have lended so much more to my date!
Lady - I didn't think "underwear swapper" and I were close, either (emotionally or physically during dinner) - and his request came out of nowhere...he obviously had some kind of fetish he thought was rather common.
Beam me up guy was a total suprise - he had never mentioned Star Trek and had neve done his "beam me up" bit on the two previous dates....if I'd gone on a fourth date with him, he probably would have worn Spock ears!
Good old "skippy" was nice enough (until he "forgot" his wallet) but I just couldn't envision walking anywhere with him - I'd probably have an uncontrollable urge to play hopscotch!

The guy you went out with was obviously very much in love with himself....maybe he just just date and marry himself?

In any case - there are good ones out there on the dating sites - as you get used to it, you can sorta learn to read between the lines of the good ones and not so good ones - the three I mentioned were the first three I met - after that I got better at reading through ads/emails/phone calls. I did not use the "online dating" exclusively, I also met guys through the other routes - activities, friends, etc. It was an interesting time in my life and I did learn a lot about people and a lot about myself as well......

Oh - in reference to your getting a pet - I had a dog at the time who was the sweetest thing in the world - If any of the guys got past the initial period where I would let them pick me up at my residence, they had to pass her judgment as well...she never met the first three

Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 AM

7,251 posts, read 16,127,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachespeaches View Post
Welll, I would certianly say don't throw online dating out the window because of that loser. I met my fiance online and we hit it off instantly. But before him, I went on some pretty horendous dates that made me want to poke my eyes out...as that was a better alternative. I had this one guy that I talked to over the phone/email for about a month before we went out. Apparently that month that we spent getting to know each over the phone constituted as us being together (in his eyes), which made him think I was fair game for him to have his creepy hands all over me all night. Needless to say I cut the date very short as he couldn't understand MY problem...after all we'd known each other for whole month!!
A whole month???
What's with these guys that think that way? Some of them expect it at the first meeting. Gag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships