Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:41 PM

48,407 posts, read 34,571,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Thing is, I have had friends on the cusp of getting married whu did not know and were afraid to even ask.
Are they younger? When I married (mid 40s), I knew my spending style, my view of money, the impact that finances can have on a relationship, etc...... I had no problems bringing stuff up.

I mean we even had what-if scenarios "what if you want to buy a brand new car, but I think we should not incur more debt at the present moment - which one do we do?"

We knew going in that we had differing views on money: he doesn't plan on dying with money in the bank, I am happy with lots of money in savings.... But we had worked out how we would deal with this before marriage.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,176,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are they younger? When I married (mid 40s), I knew my spending style, my view of money, the impact that finances can have on a relationship, etc...... I had no problems bringing stuff up.

I mean we even had what-if scenarios "what if you want to buy a brand new car, but I think we should not incur more debt at the present moment - which one do we do?"

We knew going in that we had differing views on money: he doesn't plan on dying with money in the bank, I am happy with lots of money in savings.... But we had worked out how we would deal with this before marriage.
The last one I had this conversation with was in her late 40s.
Second marriage for both.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,166,923 times
Should it ever come up, my elevator speech will be: "I'm a writer. Short of winning the lottery, I'll never be loaded or even particularly secure, and instead will probably end up dropping dead at my desk with my head on the keyboard, having typed 'The End.'"

If he can't hang with that, he's welcome to go find someone else.

Shouldn't be an issue, though, as I can't imagine marrying again, and that would be the only reason it would be anyone else's business at this point. As a matter of fact, if he brings it up, then I know he might be thinking along those lines, in which case he's welcome to go find someone else, then, too. Could be a good litmus for me, actually. Ask about money, get the boot.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,854,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch8489 View Post
When did your SO and yourself discuss and disclose all your financials?
At what point in the relationship were you?

If your partner had debt, was there a plan that both set up or was it on the person that accumulated the debt to pay it off?

I would like to know how couples have handled these issues successfully and your advice. Especially those that have done it before marriage.

My fiancee and I actually talked about these things in the early stages of dating.

She's not a big spender, so I don't worry too much.

In terms of investments, budgets and things like that... it's pretty much me that handles it all but I go over everything with her and show her all the numbers and why I choose what I do. She's never had a complaint.

Debt is debt, it's honestly not that big of a deal as long as you have a nice enough income to offset a loss in quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships