Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times

Advertisements

I don't hop into the bed with my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I don't really have a lot of platonic female friends so pardon my ignorance but I was at a party recently and one of my friends had a girl sitting in his lap. I assumed they were at least hooking up but he told me later they were just friends. Apparently they slept in the same bed but nothing happened. I think this whole thing is BS but he seems serious.

Does this actually happen? Have any of you ladies sat in a man's lap or slept in the same bed as him and have it be just platonic? He's in college so maybe this is a college thing but it still surprised me.

Are you kidding me? You think it is mandatory to have sex if you sleep in the same bed or sit on a lap???/ Yes it happens.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
First year in college, 4 of us close friends from high school decided to hang out. 2 boys and 2 girls. We stayed at the girls' apartment and we slept on the floor. The girls felt guilty so the 4 of us shared the double bed. Nothing happened. Heck one of the girls I had a crush on years ago and a couple of us were in relationships.

Nothing happened. We were all kinda drunk too...

Around that same time period, my now current wife and I were simply very close friends. We shared a bed too a few times after a party. Nothing happened. I guess she placed great trust in me. I will have to say though... it was an awkward time for us. This period overlapped the trip with my 4 friends. When she heard about it, she was clearly jealous. It was the first sign that she wanted more than just being friends even though she didn't admit it.

I wouldn't assume that they are having sex even though it happens. However, such behavior can send out mix signals... its natural. It never bothered me... I place a high value on friendships and being respectful, even when sharing a bed, is expected.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I don't really have a lot of platonic female friends so pardon my ignorance but I was at a party recently and one of my friends had a girl sitting in his lap. I assumed they were at least hooking up but he told me later they were just friends. Apparently they slept in the same bed but nothing happened. I think this whole thing is BS but he seems serious.

Does this actually happen? Have any of you ladies sat in a man's lap or slept in the same bed as him and have it be just platonic? He's in college so maybe this is a college thing but it still surprised me.
No, I've only slept in bed with guys who I at least wanted to make out with. I did know a guy who claimed to sleep in bed with his female friends without anything happening between them, but I would not share a bed or sit on the lap of a guy who I had no romantic interest in.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I remember sleeping in a pile on giant double bed with 5 of my friends, male and female (and all straight), in high school. Nothing remotely sexual about it.

And since then, I'm sure I've crashed in beds with male friends, just because it was the easiest and most comfortable thing.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:56 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
My ex-husband stayed with me onetime when I was sick with a terrible fever. I suppose that doesn't even really count though. There was no way he was getting any.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yep. Same here.

Of course, now "Mr. Professional" is going to think I'm gay. lol
All the guys I've done this with, except one, were definitely not gay. Some were guys I eventually dated or had dated previously. Some were guys my friends dated/eventually dated. Some were neither. We just were friends.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
So it's cool if your friend was married or in a committed relationship?
If that's how their marriage/relationship works, yes. If not, no.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I remember sleeping in a pile on giant double bed with 5 of my friends, male and female (and all straight), in high school. Nothing remotely sexual about it.

And since then, I'm sure I've crashed in beds with male friends, just because it was the easiest and most comfortable thing.
Yep, we did this on hs band trips, camping trips, college road trips, etc. all the time.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
So it's cool if your friend was married or in a committed relationship?
All parties were single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships