Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Some cultural norms of yesteryear More conducive to long term relationships?
I'm a man and I say yes 23 46.00%
I'm a woman and I say yes 11 22.00%
I'm a man and I say no 5 10.00%
I'm a woman and I say no 11 22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Actually, a while a fairly commonly held belief, not, in fact, true:

The Straight Dope: Does "rule of thumb" refer to an old law permitting wife beating?

I had always heard wrong apparently. This agrees: Rule of thumb - meaning and origin.

Hubby says he is still holding with the stick theory.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Yes and there were still exceptions, granted when you look up those exceptions they were usually unattractive women from wealthy families with no male heirs.
There are always exceptions so whats your point. That a few women (ugly, wealthy and there being no other heirs) had privileges and could be financially independent without a husband. So that's make it ok for all the other 99% of women.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are always exceptions so whats your point. That a few women (ugly, wealthy and there being no other heirs) had privileges and could be financially independent without a husband. So that's make it ok for all the other 99% of women.
But its ok for things to be crappy for 90% of the men out there.....?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

It's not. That's just a number you are making up, I don't even think 90% of men are single.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Why is it crappy for the men out there? Because women can work and take care of themselves?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
But its NOT crappy for 90% of men. Are you saying only 10% of men in this country are married/dating/in a relationship. BS. But yes if 90% of one group feel their love life is crappy it is still not ok to oppress/discriminated against 99% of another group in order to stack the deck in your favor.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
But its NOT crappy for 90% of men. Are you saying only 10% of men in this country are married/dating/in a relationship. BS. But yes if 90% of one group feel their love life is crappy it is still not ok to oppress/discriminated against 99% of another group in order to stack the deck in your favor.
Most men (and women) who wish to be in a relationship, are in a relationship.

Most men who lead dead-end lives would have failed in securing a relationship in our mythical past, as they do in our actual present.

However, things are indeed "crappy" for the Google/Apple/Microsoft multi-millionaire who's superb at managing a team of code-developers, but who lacks the charisma or the connections for successful dating. 100 years ago, the counterpart of such a man would have been considered to have been a prized catch.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Most men (and women) who wish to be in a relationship, are in a relationship.

Most men who lead dead-end lives would have failed in securing a relationship in our mythical past, as they do in our actual present.

However, things are indeed "crappy" for the Google/Apple/Microsoft multi-millionaire who's superb at managing a team of code-developers, but who lacks the charisma or the connections for successful dating. 100 years ago, the counterpart of such a man would have been considered to have been a prized catch.
Meh, social media. With that kind of money he can advertize for a wife. He is still a prized catch for some women. This is not much different than when some men in the past had to seek the original mail order brides due to lack of females in particular areas. Men lacking charisma or connections may not be successful dating rich or poor.

There is also a segment of women for which dating is crappy as well.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Meh, social media. With that kind of money he can advertize for a wife. He is still a prized catch for some women. This is not much different than when some men in the past had to seek the original mail order brides due to lack of females in particular areas. Men lacking charisma or connections may not be successful dating rich or poor.

There is also a segment of women for which dating is crappy as well.
Yes and no. We've heard ubiquitously how like ought to marry like. If the fellow in question trades on his wealth, marrying a woman attracted to his wealth (possessing little of her own), he's risking calamitous divorce. We've heard enough on this issue that I need not belabor it here. But what was different in the past? In the patriarchal past, the wife would have had no access to her husband's money in the event of divorce, save perhaps if she could prove infidelity. The "mail order bride", or whatever it was termed back then, would have been a safe proposition. It no longer is.

Perhaps more importantly, in the mythical past it was common and accepted for women to enter into such arrangements, in no small measure because their parents would have goaded them into it. Today this is unusual.

Ultimately my point is that for dating in the present, lacking charisma or connections is a devastating impediment. In that past, raw power of wealth (or aristocratic background) could have been used to demolish this impediment. That no longer works.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM

113 posts, read 77,363 times
My 2c worth? A proper arranged marriage takes all of the drama out. No dating required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships