Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM

765 posts, read 986,300 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wanted to start dating someone on a dating site they claim to be someone but then when you meet them they are REALLY someone else? in other words have you been catfished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Nope.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Yes, he used his friend's picture as a joke, but once we started talking, he decided to actually go through with meeting me. So a little while after we met, I gave him a hard time and said, hey, could you hook me up with your friend, he was really hot. bahahahaa!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Nah, I don't think it actually happens often at all.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 PM

596 posts, read 627,327 times
Yup. I had a guy once pretend he was some professional NFL Football player. Me not giving a damn about football had NO idea who he was.

I never suspected it would turn out being some elaborate hoax by a guy who I befriended at church. He would be talking to me on his ACTUAL fb page, while simultaneously being logged onto the FAKE fb page talking to me as the FAKE footballer.

Little did he know I didn't give a crap about famous athlestes, can't stand them. Anyway, I suspected something was odd and connected a few dots and found out what I was dealing with. Told the guy to get lost and that if he ever tried to contact me on fb or come near me at church, I'd call the police on him and put a restraining order on his delusional butt!

That put an end to that...but get this, his reasoning behind it was because he wanted to "test" my honest. He had asked me out a few months prior to the catfishing incident and I turned him down because at 16 I wasn't dating. He thought I was a liar and wanted to see if I'd go for a famous athlete hitting on me.

He was one bold and twisted fella.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:48 AM

745 posts, read 800,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Yes, he used his friend's picture as a joke, but once we started talking, he decided to actually go through with meeting me. So a little while after we met, I gave him a hard time and said, hey, could you hook me up with your friend, he was really hot. bahahahaa!
I did that once actually, years ago when online dating was fairly new... she was not amused. Instantly blocked me. Not surprised. Only time I ever did that.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
I've met people who represented themselves differently online than they turned out to be in person, but nothing major that I would call "catfishing." For example, a person might say they enjoy camping (which comes across as an active hobby) and it turns out they went camping once, 15 years ago. I think in some cases the people know they were lying, but I think in others they just saw themselves differently.

As far as false pictures, never happened (although I have seen people who in person were much older/fatter in person than in their pictures). I think that happens a lot. The person I am dating now (and others I dated in the past from OLD) commented that I looked better in person than in my pictures and genuinely seemed surprised by this. So I think it happens to both men and women.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:54 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post

That put an end to that...but get this, his reasoning behind it was because he wanted to "test" my honest. He had asked me out a few months prior to the catfishing incident and I turned him down because at 16 I wasn't dating. He thought I was a liar and wanted to see if I'd go for a famous athlete hitting on me.

He was one bold and twisted fella.
Ugh, creepy.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
No, but I caught a 21 pound one several years ago. The darn thing scared me so much when he came up out of the water! My dad would have been proud.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
"catfished" .. that's a new term for me. Sounds like a bait-and-switch...

Learn something new..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships