Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times

Advertisements

To be honest, it sounds like he either just doesn't want to get married in general or he doesn't want to marry you specifically. I was with my ex for 3 years and I wanted to get married - he kept dragging his feet. We finally got engaged but the whole time I felt like he was so scared that I could barely talk to him about the wedding. With my husband, he wanted to marry me. He brought up wanting to marry me all the time - it wasn't just me. He proposed after 2 years and I never needed to pressure him because he wanted the same thing that I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonflower88 View Post
And that's totally okay. But I know I couldn't be with someone with these believes.
And that's fine too. If you've envisioned your future as including marriage, you need to have a discussion with your boyfriend. Not an ultimatum, but "this is what I want eventually, and if it's not what you want then we need to decide what to do." If he dismisses you and drags his feet and won't talk about it, maybe that's your answer.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-30-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
OP you sound completely reasonable, but let me just ask you, if you were to answer for your BF, what is the worst part about your relationship?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times
Speaking from a guy's perspective, that would be a real turn off... a sure fire way to get me to NOT do something is to nag me about it...

Renew your visa, if it don't work out, move back. Don't hold it over his head, he will resent you for it.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Speaking from a guy's perspective, that would be a real turn off... a sure fire way to get me to NOT do something is to nag me about it...

Renew your visa, if it don't work out, move back. Don't hold it over his head, he will resent you for it.
So, if it's really important to her to get married - what is she supposed to do? I don't see how making your needs and wants known is nagging. If she has needs that aren't getting met - she needs to communicate them. If you see someone letting their needs and wants be known as nagging - then how can you really have a healthy relationship?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:00 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
After 3 years, he either wants it or he doesn't. If you hadn't talked about it, that would be one thing; but you said you had a conversation earlier this year and still nothing. He knows what you want but it's not important enough for him to act on.

I would have a come to Jesus talk with him and tell him about your visa renewal. No ultimatum, just honesty.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, if it's really important to her to get married - what is she supposed to do? I don't see how making your needs and wants known is nagging. If she has needs that aren't getting met - she needs to communicate them. If you see someone letting their needs and wants be known as nagging - then how can you really have a healthy relationship?
OP said she has brought it up in the past. It's not like he has forgotten that. She has communicated it on SEVERAL occasions. Continuing to bring it up is the definition of nagging in my book.

Why the artificial clock, why the hurry to get married?

If ultimately it's that important, I guess it's the OP's choice, but to approach it as an ultimatum is the wrong approach IMHO. It would rub me the wrong way.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
OP said she has brought it up in the past. It's not like he has forgotten that. She has communicated it on SEVERAL occasions. Continuing to bring it up is the definition of nagging in my book.

Why the artificial clock, why the hurry to get married?

If ultimately it's that important, I guess it's the OP's choice, but to approach it as an ultimatum is the wrong approach IMHO. It would rub me the wrong way.
I have a feeling the OP's boyfriend might share your feelings - which is why I ultimately think she is probably with the wrong guy.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
She's talking about a deadline to give up on her relationship and go back to her home country. In her situation, I think that's practical.
Exactly.

If it becomes apparent that your wants are very different (which sounds likely), this isn't an unreasonable stance to take in a situation where you have to pay to renew a visa to even stay in the same place as your SO.

There is no reason to stay with somebody where the outcomes that you each want for yourselves/the relationship are different. You don't need to apologize for wanting something that the other person doesn't.

At three years in, he knows what he wants/doesn't want.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 56,041 times
Quote:

Nagging? Where have I been nagging? I haven't even MENTIONED marriage in six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships