Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,595,913 times

Advertisements

One of the most common sources of unhappiness in a person is when he compares himself to others. So stop doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,596,526 times
Dont worry, all these happy young couples will be getting divorced in few years. Dont compare yourself to others, its a waste of time and energy. Spend a little time working out, make sure your wardrobe is on point, sign up for some online dating sites and go on some dates. I just turned 40 myself and while in LTR, i have zero doubt id be dating if i were single. Happyiness is derived from within, not how you stack up to others.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM

417 posts, read 593,009 times
I know it is frustrating but try not to compare yourself with others especially the millenials. I know they say the millenials are having a difficult time but I am in my 40s and it was no picnic for me. I feel like they get so much great advice and have resources that we didn't. All my baby boomer coworkers help out the younger people in their 20s because they think of their children. In my 20s I was told by the same group you have time don't worry because I was their competition and they had years before retirement. No help with career or relationship. Most of my friends in their 40s are not as far ahead. Work places are even trying to make the workplace better for them. Try anything you can to date, it will happen and surround yourself with positivity. Also, those big houses in the suburb come with a cost.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 AM

7,306 posts, read 6,902,953 times
Maintain your fitness properly and maintain good health ,even go to a gym and just go with a program and be where you can meet people and let them get to know you " on a consistent basis".
People warm up to familiar faces, not strangers, for the first time.
It doesn't have to be a gym but the door swings both ways.
Seeing some that is attractive and routinely dependable ,genuinely working out and good discipline .
These are important if you plan on raising children.
IMO

Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,623,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamthex1infin View Post
Do you know that it is hard that I see younger couples than me who are married and have that happy life and beautiful home. Here I am. I have a rewarding career. I do like keeping myself active but it is just hard to find a woman. I see that The younger couples they got together in college or whatever and here they have children and are happy. And they already have that nice big house in the suburbs. I just only have a town home but a decent size that can pass for a single family home. I really enjoy bike riding in the summer time and like to go ice skating in the winter. But even it hurts when I see younger couples than me who already have those wedding pictures and first child/family photos and here I have nothing. But am I too late for this now that when I go to a woman and I tell her I am 40 years old. Will she tell me I don't have a chance because my age? Please help
man you got it made. Enjoy life to the fuest and don't be fooled by those couples with kids. Things are not always what they seem. I have seen many couples who look happy on the surface but deep down they are not exactly happy campers. Hang in there

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-01-2015 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Fixed technical glitch in quote.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,769,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamthex1infin View Post
Do you know that it is hard that I see younger couples than me who are married and have that happy life and beautiful home. Here I am. I have a rewarding career. I do like keeping myself active but it is just hard to find a woman. I see that The younger couples they got together in college or whatever and here they have children and are happy. And they already have that nice big house in the suburbs. I just only have a town home but a decent size that can pass for a single family home. I really enjoy bike riding in the summer time and like to go ice skating in the winter. But even it hurts when I see younger couples than me who already have those wedding pictures and first child/family photos and here I have nothing. But am I too late for this now that when I go to a woman and I tell her I am 40 years old. Will she tell me I don't have a chance because my age? Please help
The fastest way to make yourself unhappy is to compare yourself to others and the fastest way to raise your happiness is to become grateful for what you do have. When you become grateful you will be able to see what you're truly worth and what you have to offer others. Anyway, I'm hoping you're not too old b/c I'm 56 and have major health issues but I've met men who would like a relationship anyway despite all that so I'd say you have a fighting chance. Think of it this way--my g-ma lived to be 94--do you truly believe that your life is over at 40?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,292,978 times
What's wrong with being 40? Are you having a relationship or looking? Its never too late if you find that someone.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:47 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,277,970 times
Just keeping repeating this to yourself:

Forty is the new twenty.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,991,104 times
It's never too late. Never. As long as you are still breathing there's still time. But you do have to put yourself out there and meet people.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:55 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,465,025 times
My husband and I met when he was 40 and I was 35.

Neither of us had ever been married, neither of us had kids, both of which were things we wanted. We each had spent our younger years dating and in relationships, but none that led to marriage or forming families.

Today, we are married and have a son on the way in the next couple of months. We are very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships