Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sounds like you should avoid people at work. I've worked jobs that I wouldn't want to get involved.. friends or dating. But yeh.... I've run into women with similar erratic behavior but fortunately they are the minority of those I've run into. I found that groups of men/women often feed off each other and validate bad behavior.
You're right. I've always made it a vow to myself not to date a coworker. Unfortunately, some people do not seem to understand these legitimate boundaries and have no problem generating drama. Work isn't a place for flirting or making friends. I want to remain professional at all times.

Weirdly enough, my supervisors had no problem gossiping about who was dating who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 11:15 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
There is something I do not understand about certain men.

How to distinguish defensiveness as a result of their ego getting bruised from raw honesty?

1. I had an instance where a man and I clicked really really well (or so I thought). However, at some point, he invited me over and I declined because I wasn't ready (having sex on date 2 or 3 is too soon for me).

The following day, he texted me and told me I didn't spark his interest intellectually. The interest was purely physical. This speech being the opposite of what I had gotten two weeks prior.

2. When you reject a man because you're not interested in them and they start bad-mouthing you to the point where people who you don't even know start hating you for no an apparent reason.

3. When you reject a man and he tells you: "You're ugly anyway".

* Those are three different men *

What is this kind of behavior? Why do men act like this? This is utterly confusing for a straight-forward woman like me.
It is basically the same reaction from all three though. All three see their relationship with you as being all about them. They clearly do not respect you. Maybe they do not really respect anyone, and are perhaps highly narcissistic. You have not told us enough to determine that.

When they do not get what they want - and fast - they feel rejected and hurt, and move to transfer that hurt to you through their comments and actions. This is the typical conduct of immature people, as immaturity is largely about being extremely selfish (just like a crying baby), and in many cases that dissipates with age, but not always.

And of course women can be this way too and many are.

You cannot fix these men, or any men for that manner. The only thing you can change is yourself and your own choices and actions, although even that has its limits.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:35 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Typical female response... she ran into someone purely in it for a physical relationship, she wasnt, so he bailed... can you fault him for that?
If you re-read the OP, you will see that two weeks prior, he was telling her she did spark his interest intellectually. The reality is that he is either an asshat who can't handle rejection or he was a liar just telling her what he thought she wanted to hear to try to push her into bed. Either way, he's not worth a second thought.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You cannot fix these men, or any men for that manner. The only thing you can change is yourself and your own choices and actions, although even that has its limits.
Yup. You can't change them (women in my case). You can simply change the dating pool from which you participate.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If you re-read the OP, you will see that two weeks prior, he was telling her she did spark his interest intellectually. The reality is that he is either an asshat who can't handle rejection or he was a liar just telling her what he thought she wanted to hear to try to push her into bed. Either way, he's not worth a second thought.
Thank you for pointing that out!

He actually told me he really enjoyed our conversations and he'd be stupid to let me go because we clicked too well. It was one of those situations where we'd finish each other sentences or talk about a matter one of us was thinking about. At that point, we hadn't even kissed or gotten physically "involved" yet.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Men like this aren't worth wasting brain cells on. Figuring it out isn't going to change things.

I've run into this before, usually when I'm out with friends and get hit on. If I politely decline, I get called a b*tch or prude or ugly. Some people just don't know how to act.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:21 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Most of this is just crass boorishness, and is not specific to men vs. women.

But to Philly's first point, I must reject the entire premise. Why does an invitation to one's house necessarily imply sex? I invite women to my house with some frequency, casually and without much thought or ulterior motive. Maybe they want to borrow books from my library, or traipse through the grounds. Sex isn't expected, nor is this part of a careful and assiduous scheme for endearing myself to her and eventually escalating to sexual contact. Sexual interest can intersect with emotional appeal or just mere friendship. Of course this happens. But "please join me at my house for a glass of wine" does NOT imply "We're going to have sex". If such is the implication - especially on just the first few dates - then I'd opine that there's something fundamentally askew in the relationship.

What a breath of fresh air to hear a man on CD say something like this. Thank you, ohio! Honestly, the more time I spend on CD, the less faith I have in men. Or, rather, opinions expressed regularly in the Relationships threads make male/female relationships seem utterly pointless, beyond the physical. So, to read that a man can actually have a sincere interest in spending time with a woman, even if it doesn't involve sex, is amazing.

Maybe there is room for hope, afterall.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
What a breath of fresh air to hear a man on CD say something like this. Thank you, ohio! Honestly, the more time I spend on CD, the less faith I have in men. Or, rather, opinions expressed regularly in the Relationships threads make male/female relationships seem utterly pointless, beyond the physical. So, to read that a man can actually have a sincere interest in spending time with a woman, even if it doesn't involve sex, is amazing.

Maybe there is room for hope, afterall.
The men and women you see here are a minor subset of men around the world. Please don't use this as a sample space for judging men.

Women are much nicer than what I see here when I talk with them at restaurants, work, and so on.

You can come to my place, and we can simply talk as friendly adults. I'm perfectly open to that and in fact like talking to people.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:28 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
the more time I spend on CD, the less faith I have in men.
I learned very quickly that this forum is not a good representation of what is in the real world. I initially swore off this forum shortly after I started participating..... I stuck around taking it at face value... if anything, it is entertaining.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:31 PM

251 posts, read 299,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Why do men act like this?
Way to generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships