Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:48 PM

165 posts, read 159,560 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is long.

I met my boyfriend on OkCupid in Feburary. We exchanged phone calls for a month until we finally met and we instantly clicked and had an amazing connection. The problem was that there were a few odds against us that I guess we both should have been more prepared for.

-I'm 21 and he's 26 (turning 27 next month)
-He was my first real boyfriend/relationship
-I'm finishing up school in a different state than we both live in
-He's a third mate on a tug boat and works on the sea 6 months out of the year (1 month home, 1 month at sea)

We were aware of these factors going into the relationship but we were so head over heels for each other we went for it anyway. Long story short, he broke up with me this past Friday and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can ever get him back because there's never been anyone I've ever dated that I've liked more than him. He was a great boyfriend but unfortunately we argued too much which was mostly my fault because I'm naive with relationships and took advantage of him at times. I would snap at him for no reason and give him the silent treatment for no reason and it was stuff like that that really pushed him away. I told him I want to change but he said it's too late and he needs time to himself to get himself back together but there is still a possibility that we could date in the future.

He came over my house last night to talk with me and give me closure. We are still very affectionate to one another and kept apologizing to each other a million times. He feels horrible for breaking my heart because we both thought this relationship was going to last so much longer. We cuddled in bed and had sex this morning which I didn't plan on..it just happened. I think maybe we're both still attached. He told me that I'm a beautiful, smart and wonderful girl and that maybe if we werent both at different stages of our lives this relationship would work. He wants to come over again tonight to keep me company while my parents are out of town. I mentioned him possibly coming to school in September to see me after he works all of August and he agreed he wants to do that.

He leaves for work next week and I plan on not contacting him the entire 28 days so maybe he will have time to miss me.

I'm just grieving right now that this is all over. Does anyone have any advice or think there is a chance at us getting back together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 02:50 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
The best advice is to learn from this and don't make the same mistakes with your next guy.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskandaisy View Post
Sorry if this is long.

I met my boyfriend on OkCupid in Feburary. We exchanged phone calls for a month until we finally met and we instantly clicked and had an amazing connection. The problem was that there were a few odds against us that I guess we both should have been more prepared for.

-He was my first real boyfriend/relationship
-I'm finishing up school in a different state than we both live in
-He's a third mate on a tug boat and works on the sea 6 months out of the year (1 month home, 1 month at sea)

We were aware of these factors going into the relationship but we were so head over heels for each other we went for it anyway. Long story short, he broke up with me this past Friday and I'm wondering if there's anyway I can ever get him back because there's never been anyone I've ever dated that I've liked more than him. He was a great boyfriend but unfortunately we argued too much which was mostly my fault because I'm naive with relationships and took advantage of him at times. I would snap at him for no reason and give him the silent treatment for no reason and it was stuff like that that really pushed him away. I told him I want to change but he said it's too late and he needs time to himself to get himself back together but there is still a possibility that we could date in the future.

He came over my house last night to talk with me and give me closure. We are still very affectionate to one another and kept apologizing to each other a million times. He feels horrible for breaking my heart because we both thought this relationship was going to last so much longer. We cuddled in bed and had sex this morning which I didn't plan on..it just happened. I think maybe we're both still attached. He told me that I'm a beautiful, smart and wonderful girl and that maybe if we werent both at different stages of our lives this relationship would work. He wants to come over again tonight to keep me company while my parents are out of town. I mentioned him possibly coming to school in September to see me after he works all of August and he agreed he wants to do that.

He leaves for work next week and I plan on not contacting him the entire 28 days so maybe he will have time to miss me.

I'm just grieving right now that this is all over. Does anyone have any advice or think there is a chance at us getting back together?
In February?

Which one of the guys is this? Because you were posting here in April, all sad about a couple of guys from OKC.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Quote:

Sorry about your breakup, OP, but the above doesn't jive with your April thread: I always like the guys that don't like me back.. which went on for pages and pages about a 23-year-old guy from OKCupid who didn't text you back after you went home with him on the first date.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM

In case you just are off with your timeline, here is some advice.

I do not think you should try to "get him back." I don't think he should come over to "keep you company" tonight, i.e. sleep with you.

Next time you are in a relationship, don't do this:

Quote:

I'm naive with relationships and took advantage of him at times.

I would snap at him for no reason and give him the silent treatment for no reason.

I plan on not contacting him the entire 28 days so maybe he will have time to miss me.
That last idea is just pure game playing. Also, be wary of thinking that you "instantly click and have an amazing connection" with anyone because it clouds your judgment.

Until you mature a little more, stick with guys who also are students and living the same general kind of lifestyle you are living.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Sorry about your breakup, OP, but the above doesn't jive with your April thread: I always like the guys that don't like me back.. which went on for pages and pages about a 23-year-old guy from OKCupid who didn't text you back after you went home with him on the first date.
I was dating multiple people during those months. I started seriously dating my now ex not too long after that post. A lot of guys are usually interested in me but I'm picky.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In case you just are off with your timeline, here is some advice.

I do not think you should try to "get him back." I don't think he should come over to "keep you company" tonight, i.e. sleep with you.

Next time you are in a relationship, don't do this:

That last idea is just pure game playing. Also, be wary of thinking that you "instantly click and have an amazing connection" with anyone because it clouds your judgment.

Until you mature a little more, stick with guys who also are students and living the same general kind of lifestyle you are living.
I tend to prefer guys older than me. And yes I'm fully aware of my mistakes in this relationship I was wondering if we still had a chance to get back together.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I tend to prefer guys older than me. And yes I'm fully aware of my mistakes in this relationship I was wondering if we still had a chance to get back together.
I vote no.

Change your preference. It's not working.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I vote no.

Change your preference. It's not working.
Why not?

It wasn't my preference that didn't work it was my behavior in the relationship. He had his flaws too I just didn't include them.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
He had his flaws too I just didn't include them.
No need.

It's not working because being in a healthy relationship is hard enough without adding the stress of varying schedules, distance and life experience.

You need time to mature as well as MUCH more experience before you date someone who is on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships