Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM

90 posts, read 89,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
This sounds great. The problem is, for loads of guys, it is useless. Lots of guys (myself included) have hobbies and interests where 90%+ of the people into it are men, or are hobbies done solo.
Trust me, aside from the gym and the driving range, my interests/ hobbies are also done solo. My question is; how did people meet before the advent of OLD?

1) Set up via friends/ family
2) Club/Bar/ Concert scene
3) Church/ Worship
4) School/ Work

I know I'm missing a ton of others... It may take a bit more "work" nowadays, but it could be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustelid1971 View Post
This sounds great. The problem is, for loads of guys, it is useless. Lots of guys (myself included) have hobbies and interests where 90%+ of the people into it are men, or are hobbies done solo.
Dangit! You nearly had me there. Almost messed up my game.

New drinking game.

(Which I'm not actually playing, because I don't drink and I'm at work, but let's pretend!)

Every time Brantleygilbert uses a numerical statistic in a post, DRINK.

You'll be on the floor in no time!

(Sorry, but there was that one satirical post that had me utterly in stitches and then he comes along with like "90% of my life is perfect" and I'm just dying over here.)

*catches breath*

OK seriously though, I do want to say those pictures are no good. Not because OP is bad looking or whatever, but the best pics reveal a bit of character. Not used car salesman slicky character, but like "hey look, here is me shooting pool!" Or "Check it out, I'm standing on a lamp post!" Action shots, candids...things that show that you're a real dude who does stuff. Especially if they make you look FUN.

The best sets of pics (and I don't feel that one is enough, the more the better really) Show:

1. Person's face, in decent light
2. Overall impression of person's body, again not in concealing light or positioning, so one can get a general concept of your build. No one cares about the details of your body fat or that you are 10% more chiseled now or anything like that. Just "He's not fat." (Or whatever. General impression) Good enough. Moving on.
3. What cut and color your hair is. No beanie hats, guys! If you're bald, come clean with it.
4. Multiple pics, or at least one really good one, of you being fun or doing something fun.

The most successful guy I know in OLD wrote in his profile on OKC, in the "most private thing I'm willing to admit" that he formerly used to lie about his age on his profile, but then shockingly he started meeting all of these kind, beautiful, intelligent women, and approaching dates having to apologize and confess, so he has corrected that now...basically he tucked in there the implication, "I am in demand with women, I date kind, beautiful, intelligent women. Don't you want to be one of them?" Not literally but it is sort of sneakily implied. There is humor blended in, but it's not clowny over the top HAHA THAT'S A FUNNY JOKE humor, it's just sort of subtle self-deprecating snark. And he's got pics of himself playing a guitar onstage, although not his main profile pic.

Oh, and NOWHERE does he say that he is a nice guy. In fact, he says, he's a "scoundrel."

He works in marketing, creating ads for magazines, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he can market himself pretty well.

I say this stuff, not because I care about your situation, OP...but because I've only been involved in OLD since about May/June and I still find it pretty interesting. But good luck.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:49 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQdotJ View Post
Trust me, aside from the gym and the driving range, my interests/ hobbies are also done solo. My question is; how did people meet before the advent of OLD?

1) Set up via friends/ family
2) Club/Bar/ Concert scene
3) Church/ Worship
4) School/ Work

I know I'm missing a ton of others... It may take a bit more "work" nowadays, but it could be worth it.

Well work is out as a rule. I'm done school.

I'm not superstitious and don't want to date superstitious people.

I won't date friends of friends/family.

So, #2 is it, and OLD, and I've met people at both. But #2 does get harder as you get older.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:43 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
I can have a professional take some nice pics of me outside. I would look quite a bit better in those vs the pics I posted. I would look a solid 2 pts better on a 1-10 scale with the weight loss.
Pictures where someone looks too good, and are taken professionally, seem to be fake in our days of Photoshop. It would be better to post amateur pictures showing something you like to do, such as running a marathon (or doing ToughMudder 10 miles obstacle run), or going hunting, or whatever else you like to do in real life.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
But what if I'm extremely happy with the rest of my life?

How serious can a problem be 90% of my life is perfect?
Maybe you should be happy with that 90% then. Lots of people have it way worse in the "happy quotient" percentile of their lives and they manage to survive quite nicely.

They also refrain from posting about the same topic 351237943454 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships