Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM

58 posts, read 43,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingHope View Post
I've always been attracted to men who are highly intelligent and are decent looking. Not necessarily Einstein smart, but they can hold conversations and talk about any subject, they have a good educational background and a good career.

However, I've never dated a man that was smarter and more educated than me. The ones that I seem to attract are the good looking men, but they don't really have strong ambitions. I went on OLD and even sent a message to a man who wasn't that good looking, but his profile intrigued me. He sounded smart and successful. He did not reply back to me. I'm not drop dead gorgeous like a supermodel, but if I really try, I can look "hot."

I'm educated and people often describe me as smart. I actually would rather be described as smart than beautiful, but I have never been able to land an intelligent man. Also, when I do talk to some of these smarter men, they don't seem to like it when they learn that I'm actually smarter than I appear to be. They usually go for much younger, more naive and gorgeous girls. I am no longer attracted to men who are good looking, but can't hold any conversations outside of fitness and their biceps.

My question is how can I attract these highly intelligent and successful men?
You can start off by dialing down a little bit (ok,more than a little bit) when it comes to how smart you are. I'm not telling you to dumb yourself down for anyone but generally it can would be a turn off to most men (or anyone) if you couldn't stop talking about how smart you. Maybe the smart ones may think you're not smart enough.

It sounds to me that you want to be in a relationship with someone who can intellectually challenge , if so then you don't have to actively sell yourself as a "smart" person because at some point it will no longer sound believable so instead just BE what you want to attract instead of SAYING it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful14 View Post
You can start off by dialing down a little bit (ok,more than a little bit) when it comes to how smart you are. I'm not telling you to dumb yourself down for anyone but generally it can would be a turn off to most men (or anyone) if you couldn't stop talking about how smart you. Maybe the smart ones may think you're not smart enough.

It sounds to me that you want to be in a relationship with someone who can intellectually challenge , if so then you don't have to actively sell yourself as a "smart" person because at some point it will no longer sound believable so instead just BE what you want to attract instead of SAYING it
I doubt the OP walks up to guys and announces that she's smart. But talking about that in her OP is necessary when presenting her issue to a forum, for obvious reasons.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
I've always been attracted to men who are highly intelligent and are decent looking. Not necessarily Einstein smart, but they can hold conversations and talk about any subject, they have a good educational background and a good career.

However, I've never dated a man that was smarter and more educated than me. The ones that I seem to attract are the good looking men, but they don't really have strong ambitions. I went on OLD and even sent a message to a man who wasn't that good looking, but his profile intrigued me. He sounded smart and successful. He did not reply back to me. I'm not drop dead gorgeous like a supermodel, but if I really try, I can look "hot."

I'm educated and people often describe me as smart. I actually would rather be described as smart than beautiful, but I have never been able to land an intelligent man. Also, when I do talk to some of these smarter men, they don't seem to like it when they learn that I'm actually smarter than I appear to be. They usually go for much younger, more naive and gorgeous girls. I am no longer attracted to men who are good looking, but can't hold any conversations outside of fitness and their biceps.

You sound pretty full of yourself to me. You've NEVER dated someone smarter than you? I find that hard to believe. Why exactly do they have to be smarter than you? What's wrong with being on the same level?

Old 08-10-2015, 12:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
What do the kids call this again? Bragplaining?

OP, in what ways are you smarter and how do you assess this? Are these conversations about current events and world news? Grammar mistakes?

Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM

58 posts, read 43,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I doubt the OP walks up to guys and announces that she's smart. But talking about that in her OP is necessary when presenting her issue to a forum, for obvious reasons.
And for obvious reasons, many from the forum have advised her to tone it down. I know she doesn't make a PSA to the male gender about her intellectual abilities, that's why I said that she should be what she wants to attract because she admitted that she never dated men within the standards that she wants.

Quote:

However, I've never dated a man that was smarter and more educated than me
. The ones that I seem to attract are the good looking men, but they don't really have strong ambitions. I went on OLD and even sent a message to a man who wasn't that good looking, but his profile intrigued me. He sounded smart and successful. He did not reply back to me. I'm not drop dead gorgeous like a supermodel, but if I really try, I can look "hot."

Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 PM

474 posts, read 384,602 times
Quote:

Well, in general as a guy a good bit on the intelligent end of the spectrum, I tend to find a lot of intelligent women insufferable in a way that intelligent men typically aren't. Frankly, it's not that much of a selling point beyond being much more than 'above average' intelligence-wise for me. I'd rather my socialization be with those who are aware/worldly, contemplative, and altruistic than uber book smart. That said, I can't spend too much time around outright dumb people either.

You specifically: You seem slightly odd and superficial, both in the way you talk about intelligent people and otherwise. I mean the whole biceps = good looking as opposed to good looking = good looking seems oddly fetishistic. Also, I find the almost mutualistic pairing of "intelligent" and "successful" / "good career" as suspect. What are you REALLY looking for? Just saying, from what you've written above, I'd avoid you too. Not saying you're a bad person. Something is just fishy to me.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM

491 posts, read 402,596 times
I used to think I wanted to date a really intelligent man too. But as I met and dated them, I realized I didn't really like them. I get enough intellectual stimulation at work and school. I like being able to talk to a guy about football, and where to hike this weekend, and whether it's going to be a good weekend for the mountains or the beach. Down to earth guys who can help me move some furniture, not calculate the best angle at which we should turn it coming down the stairs. Give me a fun, easy going guy any day. I'll save my smart stuff for the workday

Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
I was going to post something about how long the odds were of you finding a guy that meets all your criteria. Then I realized similar could be said about me.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Oh boy.

First, you need to get down off your high horse as if you are so smart. Even if you are it's best not to flaunt this or use big words like a 'know-it-all.'

Library.
Agreed.

Attitudes like the OP's tend to rub a lot of people (of both genders) the wrong way.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 PM

203 posts, read 172,693 times
Apply to law school or a graduate program in your field. If accepted, not only will there be numerous men who fit your criteria, it will probably give you a better sense of where you stand in regards to your own qualifications.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships