Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I've always hated being cancelled on personally. There's a fair share of dates I wasn't enthusiastic about, but went on them anyways.
How many of the dates that you forced yourself to go on turned out to be great dates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:34 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How many of the dates that you forced yourself to go on turned out to be great dates?
Honestly, none.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this the way it's done these days? This sounds like an interrogation. Whatever happened to "What hobbies/ interests do you have? What's your family background? What were your favorite subjects in college?" Or was that kind of thing covered already in the messaging back and forth, the 2 weeks prior to the date?

Yeah, it's a drag when the convo doesn't flow, and when the date clams up or is awkward. But bombarding her with the type of prying questions you asked wouldn't help alleviate that.

Oh well. As you said, there were signs from the start, since before the date, that it wasn't a good match. So you're learning to recognize those signs. That's worth something.
I agree. It sounds OP like you were maybe being passive-aggressive. I feel those questions are not appropriate nor necessary, I'd have discussed things like TV shows or sports teams to try to find common ground. I/m not sure why you even knew she had FWB before, the stuff you kids discuss, geez..I don't get it but you sure know how to take the fun and intrigue out of a date.

Again OP it sounds like you didn't really want to go, then went but kind of punished her because you didn't want to be there.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. It sounds OP like you were maybe being passive-aggressive. I feel those questions are not appropriate nor necessary, I'd have discussed things like TV shows or sports teams to try to find common ground. I/m not sure why you even knew she had FWB before, the stuff you kids discuss, geez..I don't get it but you sure know how to take the fun and intrigue out of a date.

Again OP it sounds like you didn't really want to go, then went but kind of punished her because you didn't want to be there.
She didn't want to be there either. That's what she said in the text on Monday. These questions also came after making suggestions for bowling to kill some time and she had a rebuttal about the alley shoes. So I felt, okay, if you don't have any suggestions or like my suggestions, we'll just slide right into these questions then.

There's no hard feelings in the end. We just weren't a match and it was evident. Plus I learned things about herself when she said she willingly was involved with a married man. Her excuse was that he was hot. Wow! And you just got out of a relationship where your boyfriend was cheating on you quite a bit.

I think she did it to get power back and build her self confidence along with all the FWBs she was juggling during that time. I've been there so I understand, at least on the FWB part. Never been one to cheat.

We just had different personalities and different wants. Where I'm super outgoing, she's more closed off. I could be around big groups of people all the time, she really couldn't. We both admitted that we just weren't right for each other and were looking for different things. I really wish I would have cancelled the date, but in this experience, I learned that I need to cancel dates I'm not excited to go out on.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:49 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
If you're in the middle of a date and discover it's not working, shouldn't you call it?

I just had a lunch date with a guy who works a few buildings over and it was mind numbing. About 15 minutes in, I asked him if I could be honest, and then proceeded to tell him it wasn't working. To my surprise, he said something about not forcing it and left it at that. Bad date, but he surprised me by not reacting harshly. Very refreshing.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
If you're in the middle of a date and discover it's not working, shouldn't you call it?

I just had a lunch date with a guy who works a few buildings over and it was mind numbing. About 15 minutes in, I asked him if I could be honest, and then proceeded to tell him it wasn't working. To my surprise, he said something about not forcing it and left it at that. Bad date, but he surprised me by not reacting harshly. Very refreshing.
Never thought about it to be honest. It's something that I can note for myself in the future.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:43 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
When I was dating for fun I didn't bother with hard questions, really. But when I was more serious about a relationship, later in my dating adventures, that's when I truly cared about compatibility and not wasting my time.

The vast majority of the time a lot of the meaty, "tough" questions were discussed during very early phone conversations, which meant less awkwardness and interview-style first dates. It felt much more organic when a lot of the important things were discussed early on, which is the basis for how I determine/assess compatibility before the first date. After these matters were addressed it allowed for more "fluff" and light-hearted issues without worrying or thinking in the back of my head how I'll mention or bring up tough or more serious questions.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

The vast majority of the time a lot of the meaty, "tough" questions were discussed during very early phone conversations, which meant less awkwardness and interview-style first dates. It felt much more organic when a lot of the important things were discussed early on, which is the basis for how I determine/assess compatibility before the first date. After these matters were addressed it allowed for more "fluff" and light-hearted issues without worrying or thinking in the back of my head how I'll mention or bring up tough or more serious questions.

Totally agree. It's some of things I needed to know before I could determine if I wanted to date you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-11-2015, 01:08 PM

And the answers I discovered were more onboard with someone that I wouldn't have wanted to date.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
I had a date semi blow up on me one time because i didn't know the difference between a catholic and a Montessori school was. She was in education and took offense to it where i was just making talk and being curious about school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships