Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:56 PM

837 posts, read 753,564 times

Advertisements

Can somebody please explain it to me?

I've always found dating to be impossibly hard (as everybody here knows). Finding a decent looking woman who is attracted to me...It would probably be easier for me to find bigfoot. Anyways, I have this conversation seemingly on a daily basis with people who are baffled that I'm single and think that I should be able to snap my fingers and get a girlfriend. Where is this coming from? If you don't meet women naturally in your day to day life, you have to cold approach (which is incredibly hard) or do online dating (beyond incredibly hard, basically impossible if you have any standards at all and aren't okay with dating an overweight woman with 9 kids). Am I off base here? How do men who don't meet women in their natural day to day activities find anybody to date?

I had this conversation with 2 of my finance managers today. One is a pretty and very sweet married Latina woman in her 30s and she said that I was very cute and didn't understand why I don't have a girlfriend. Another was a new guy they hired and he complimented me on how I was dressed and said I was very good looking. He asked me if I had a beautiful girlfriend and I smiled and told him no.

Do most guys find it relatively easy to meet someone of similar attractiveness to themselves? Am I a f*cking alien with how much I struggle at this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
I had this conversation with 2 of my finance managers today.
I don't know what that means. You write like everyone has read and remembers everything you have written.

People you work with, especially older people you work with, but don't know well, are pretty the last people on the planet that will provide you an objective appraisal on your looks or personality.

As to your first question, ask the people that are telling you this. Assure them you are not gay. Challenge them to find you a date. The woman they set you up with will be an honest appraisal of what they think your market value is.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
Can somebody please explain it to me?

I've always found dating to be impossibly hard (as everybody here knows). Finding a decent looking woman who is attracted to me...It would probably be easier for me to find bigfoot. Anyways, I have this conversation seemingly on a daily basis with people who are baffled that I'm single and think that I should be able to snap my fingers and get a girlfriend. Where is this coming from? If you don't meet women naturally in your day to day life, you have to cold approach (which is incredibly hard) or do online dating (beyond incredibly hard, basically impossible if you have any standards at all and aren't okay with dating an overweight woman with 9 kids). Am I off base here? How do men who don't meet women in their natural day to day activities find anybody to date?

I had this conversation with 2 of my finance managers today. One is a pretty and very sweet married Latina woman in her 30s and she said that I was very cute and didn't understand why I don't have a girlfriend. Another was a new guy they hired and he complimented me on how I was dressed and said I was very good looking. He asked me if I had a beautiful girlfriend and I smiled and told him no.

Do most guys find it relatively easy to meet someone of similar attractiveness to themselves? Am I a f*cking alien with how much I struggle at this stuff?
They are probably just following social protocols. If it bothers you challenge them on it and see if they can help you out.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:16 PM

837 posts, read 753,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I don't know what that means. You write like everyone has read and remembers everything you have written.

People you work with, especially older people you work with, but don't know well, are pretty the last people on the planet that will provide you an objective appraisal on your looks or personality.

As to your first question, ask the people that are telling you this. Assure them you are not gay. Challenge them to find you a date. The woman they set you up with will be an honest appraisal of what they think your market value is.

I wouldn't consider either person as old - the woman in question is about 32 or 33 maybe...the guy is probably 30. He's a good looking dude too and a great guy overall. He's been here for a few weeks and me and him get along extremely well.

LOL @ challenge them to find you a date. The people around me, as much as I love them and as much as they're willing to help me in all the other areas of my life, are absolutely worthless when it comes to dating.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
I dunno, but I think making another thread on it, will definitely help.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,072 times
I have the same problem, only it's from the old ladies on my street. I live in the hood, most of my neighbors are in their 70s and 80s, and 90s they think I should have a girlfriend or wife by now, and they all think I would be a good catch.
Reasons:
1. I own my house outright.
2. 45 year old black man with no criminal record
3. I have good manners
4. I don't have kids all over town.

But what they don't realize is those things aren't really valued anymore. Those women say that because those were the things that were important in THEIR generation. Or they view me as what they want their grand daughters dating, I tell them that the only women that view me as a catch tend to be the ones that already dated a chain of men without those traits.
And I am not interested in being some woman's plan B.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Because the majority of the population dates with no problems.

Big, ugly, short, druggies, unemployed, nerds they all date and most have relationships.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2015, 12:19 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because the majority of the population dates with no problems.

Big, ugly, short, druggies, unemployed, nerds they all date and most have relationships.
Big difference between dating and having a girlfriend.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Big difference between dating and having a girlfriend.
My sentence structure covered both possibilities

Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My sentence structure covered both possibilities
A huge percentage of the world is involved with another of the opposite sex. If you can't seem to get there then your perception has to turn to your self.

Otherwise you merely post post after post here to no avail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships