Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostxox View Post
I know my relationship with my ex is done and over with. There's really no chance we will ever get back together. That said, he left me feeling like I have TONS of mental issues, and it really doesn't help that I've always felt that there's something wrong with me to begin with. I had already told him I was battling with depression at the end of the relationship, but he didn't seem to take my depression seriously.

Nonetheless, I'm already speaking to a therapist and from what I've told her she thinks HE had NPD, but I still can't help but feel like that he didn't have NPD - instead I feel like I might have been the one with the NPD.

I don't know what's wrong with me? It's like I WANT someone to tell me I have some sort of disorder so I could better analyze why things happened the way they did? Everyone's telling me he was the problem, but my heart is telling me that I AM the problem.
Generally speaking, therapists are ethically bound NOT to diagnose people who they are not treating. Really, your therapist should be focusing on you, and not theorizing about a partner to whom he or she is not providing therapy.

I would be very, very skeptical of a mental health provider who is tossing out diagnoses for people he or she has not met and are not clients of his or hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM

479 posts, read 431,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I am assuming Narcissistic Personality Disorder.... DSM defines it.
It's a good possibility that this is the case. Read up on it... you'll be amazed.
Post edit: I'm not saying that you could have NPD, I'm thinking that partners of people with NPD often feel as though they're going crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships