Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM

209 posts, read 313,229 times

Advertisements

Hello, I see it has become a religously followed rule that unemployed guys are not eligible for dating Is this rule followed robotically, for unemployed guys that somehow have enough money to take time off from working. Examples:

1. A man works at a startup that gets bought out by Google. He has a good track record in his specific field , the branding of being a mid-level employee of a winning start-up and 400,000 from his stock options. While he has a nice windfall of 400,000 after taxes from the startup being bought out, Google decides to axe everybody. However, rather than rushing to find a new job in his exact field, he decides to spend six months to a year to travel, volunteer politically, write, try his hand at entrepreneurial ventures, etc, knowing that he can easily return to his original career within a year or two.

2. A man who has a good history as a blue collar union employee. He one day inherits 350,000 from his uncle. He has always wanted to be a social worker, but had shifts to work and bills to pay. He decides to leave his job, first take a two month vacation to visit places he has always wanted to travel to and then intern for a few months at a youth center to determine if social work is the field for him. He also tries his hand at acting in an independent film. He knows he has the connections and track record to easily return to his blue collar union employment, if things don't lead anywhere within a year.

In other words, my question is in the dating world, would a man who:

1. Spent many years working and developed a good track record.

2. Came into a lump sum of money that was not enough to be independently wealthy, but could easily last him 4 to 10 years.

3. Really wants to take time away from traditional employment for self development and experimentation with non-traditional careers ( i.e entrepreneurship, the arts, self employed real estate) or even wants to change into another type of employment that requires much time to be spent interning, volunteering, or traveling to network at seminars.

4. If he does not break into a new field and after his self development is completed (travel, back to school, monastery, volunteering, etc) he will begin reentry towards his traditional career THREE YEARS before the money runs out.

Would he in the dating world be classified just as much an unemployed guy as someone who is broke, has never worked, and will always be a dependent?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post

Would he in the dating world be classified just as much an unemployed guy as someone who is broke, has never worked, and will always be a dependent?

Thanks

No.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Hello, I see it has become a religously followed rule that unemployed guys are not eligible for dating
That is not a rule at all. Many men date, without having a job... especially college students.

Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges there. But no, and it is odd that you think he would be!

Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I would not date a guy who still lives with his parents, or never had a stable job, or always has been broke, or has no sense for money in general.

When I met my bf last December, he was 46 and unemployed for 6 months. Lived off savings and expecting to go back to work shortly (construction union member). Just the fact that he said he lives off his own savings showed me he has his financials in order because he prepared for the worst, like people should do. He was eager to go back to work and he got up at 6 am every morning to make me coffee, brought me to the door and kept himself busy during the day so he keeps a routine to stay active. He did not hang out on the couch all day, complaining about the unfair world.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM

203 posts, read 172,641 times
Monastery?

Personally I don't get this sort of question. I thought in the "modern" world with "modern" women who are themselves employed and earning high incomes, a guy's temporary unemployment or underemployment or self-employment would not be an issue. Wouldn't a guy who would prefer to remain home and look after the kids be a real catch? Why are men still expected to fill the provider role? If I could find a faithful woman willing to work to subsidize my current ventures which could potentially result in manifold returns I would cook for and pamper her all she wants.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:25 PM

474 posts, read 384,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
Monastery?

Personally I don't get this sort of question. I thought in the "modern" world with "modern" women who are themselves employed and earning high incomes, a guy's temporary unemployment or underemployment or self-employment would not be an issue. Wouldn't a guy who would prefer to remain home and look after the kids be a real catch? Why are men still expected to fill the provider role? If I could find a faithful woman willing to work to subsidize my current ventures which could potentially result in manifold returns I would cook for and pamper her all she wants.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
What difference does it make. Be content what you do for yourself financially, and thats all. Who cares how someone else sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships