Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:07 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,298,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I think a deal breaker for me would be probably be kids for sure
Same here. I don't date for the purpose of acquiring an insta-family. I have a sister and married friends with children who fill that need. I am already a cool uncle figure to several children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 04:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Deception
When I flew to Memphis to meet my blonde eharmoney cutie
Quasimodo was in the parking lot
Yeah, I'm sure you'll never get over that one.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:18 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Same here. I don't date for the purpose of acquiring an insta-family. I have a sister and married friends with children who fill that need. I am already a cool uncle figure to several children.

There is no need to fill here as far as kids are concerned. I don't need to be around them at all. Even a potential date with grown kids would be a no for me. Just not interested in being anyone's mom, not even a step mom.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,548,756 times
As I've posted before, one of my first questions is if she has kids (or if the kids with her are hers). If so, then I politely thank her for her time, as I have no interest in dating women with children.

If she seems particularly 'playful' I ask where the boyfriend is or if she's ever going to reply to the guy who texted her several hours ago. This has actually gotten some sly laughter from a few guilty ladies, who, again, were then sent on their merry goddamned way.

EDIT: I should clarify that these are women who approach me, as I wouldn't approach a single mother, regardless of the cuteness.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
There is no need to fill here as far as kids are concerned. I don't need to be around them at all. Even a potential date with grown kids would be a no for me. Just not interested in being anyone's mom, not even a step mom.
Fair enough. I just have a hard time envisioning a 22 year old man (or woman) for example, calling his (or her) dad's most recent girlfriend "Mom." Teenagers would be a different story.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I just have a hard time envisioning a 22 year old man (or woman) for example, calling his (or her) dad's most recent girlfriend "Mom." Teenagers would be a different story.

It's not really a matter of someone calling me mom, but the fact that someone calls him dad. If a guy has kids, he always does, and no matter how old, they are around. (except, of course, in circumstances such as death or estrangement, etc) Adult kids can often be as needy and drama filled as younger ones, so no guarantee of avoiding that. Next comes grandkids. NOPE. Want no part of that. I'd rather be single.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:41 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,187,535 times
Quote:
Yeah. Even my friend didn't do that when she was a teen. Her step-father was always called by his name. She never called him dad. Just "Richard." She also never referred to him as just "dad" either It's always "My step-dad." So not very personable.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It's not really a matter of someone calling me mom, but the fact that someone calls him dad. If a guy has kids, he always does, and no matter how old, they are around. (except, of course, in circumstances such as death or estrangement, etc) Adult kids can often be as needy and drama filled as younger ones, so no guarantee of avoiding that. Next comes grandkids. NOPE. Want no part of that. I'd rather be single.
Good points! I did not think about the effect of grandchildren so I am glad we had this conversation. The drama of dating single parents does not end when the children reach adulthood. It is likely to be followed by the doting, lovey-dovey interactions inherent in the grandparent-grandchild relationship. I want no part of that either, much more mushy that being a cool uncle.

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 PM

424 posts, read 430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I really don't have too many, here's one though.

One I can think of is Southern Accents (No offense southerners!)
I don't care how good looking a woman is, once I hear that heavy southern accent it instantly turns me off. She starts looking like Danny Devito to me.

I'm not even sure why, I have nothing against them but it almost gives me a headache.
Really? man I love the southern accent. My late wife was from Dallas. When we met it was one of the first things that attracted me to her. Well, plus she was drop dead gorgeous. but yeah--loved the honey-dipped drawl.

I lost my wife just shy of three years ago, and only on the past few months have I even gone out on a date or had the desire too. So I havent thought of Deal Breakers in awhlke, but its an interesting topic.So I'll give it a go.

1--Smoker
2--Heavy Drinker
3--Druggie
4--more than about 20 lbs overweight. I know this is superficial, but I can't help it. I've always been attracted to reed-thin girls, and those plus-size (nice euphenism) girls just dont get my chemistry working.
5--Not a deal breaker per se, but I've never been attracted to other ethnicities. I'm a Caucasian American of German/Irish ancestry. So for some reason blacks, Latinos, and Asians have never attracted me in the least. Just my opinion.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,845,865 times
Some of you guys deal breakers are pretty normal.
My main deal breakers
1.Gun owners
2.Red necks
3.Non-nerds
4.Athletic
5.Campers
6.Sexual prudes
7.Conservatives
8.Hopeless romantics
9.Followers
10.Hipsters
11.Military men
12.Artist type who don't have a back plan
13.Someone with no post high school education or training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships