Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM

720 posts, read 500,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Huh? No. I can get sex anywhere if I wanted to.

Thanks for your sympathy though.
I don't mean you're desperate for sex. I mean, is the sex really good and that's why you're putting up with an increasingly impossible situation? It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:35 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
So basically you have no idea how to treat conflict with one another and now it has finally reached a point where that is causing tension within the relationship where their is otherwise none

It's a "cause and affect" relationship.

"You did this so I won't do this"
"I didn't do anything so you need to leave me alone"

The only way to approach that is both being on board with how to deal with personal conflicts under the same set of rules and logic and not allowing the other to make **** up as they go.

How does that work???

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
How severe is the OCD and what is he doing to treat it? I have a mild case of it, but when it gets intense for some people, it manifests almost as a sort of narcissism. I watched my roommate try to deal with it in her last relationship, and it was terrible. The guy expected every OCD tic of his to be accommodated without trying to meet her halfway. When he basically left her on her own to deal with major surgery, she ended things, thankfully.

ohhh???

It is not that extreme. No meds for it and no closing doors 5x or stuff like that. His can't have any change in his house. He cleans a lot but only certain areas (weird). Cars are super clean, kitchen, too. But hallway is full of clutter, never dusted.

Sometimes he insists on things in general without being open to negotiate or compromise - that make me wonder. He usually has great common sense but sometimes he just doesn't make sense and I wonder if this is him, his depression, OCD or whatever.

But that's not why we fight.

Last edited by oh-eve; 08-24-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM

I have a counseling appointment Saturday, maybe that will help me keep my calm more often and turn the downward spiral into an upward spiral.

We had just one couples therapie appt. a few weeks ago and he won't go back there. I agree that it made everything worse (I moved out 3 days later).

Old 08-24-2015, 04:09 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
So what happened at counseling?
How did it make things worse?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
How does that work???
My wife an I come from a background of dealing with team conflicts. For us we treat relationship conflicts much like we would any interpersonal issues in The workplace. Functionally and fundamentally they operate the same.

How you choose to handle that conflict determines whether it works to an advantage, or contributes to a demise.
This is the most important aspect to remember going in to handling your conflicts with one another.

1) Acknowledge the conflict.
The conflict has to be acknowledged before it can be explored and resolved. Most people will ignore the first signs of conflict, and ignore it as trivial, or is difficult to differentiate from the normal, healthy debate that teams can thrive on. If you are concerned about the conflict in your team, discuss it with other members. Once you have both recognizes the issue, it can start the process of resolution.

2) Discuss the impact.
As a couple discuss the impact the conflict is having on the dynamics/health of your relationship.

3) Make a cooperative plan for going forward. A process.
You BOTH must agree to cooperate in to resolve your shared conflicts. This means putting aside your personal feelings first. If one of you wants to "win" more than you want to resolve the conflict, you're going nowhere. It's about the issues not yourself.

4) Agree to communicate..
keep communication open. Both people need to talk about the issue and discuss their feelings while the other listens, because to move on you need to really understand where the other person is coming from.

Honestly eve....I would not recommend trying to work this out by yourselves. Do this in conjunction with a counselor or someone who can help mediate and guide you both through a process. Someone who has a understanding of conflict resolution.

You will have a very difficult time on your own getting in line with one another to work on anything productively in the beginning.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-24-2015 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Phone...wasn't easy to type that out.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So what happened at counseling (I presume couple and not mental counseling)?
It was a female therapist (mistake), and she partially agreed on my side and partially agreed on bf side but in the end, bf didn't take her seriously because she is a woman (and therefore on my side) and didn't write anything down (which made him think she didn't give a crap) and didn't say much and therefore is just a quack who has no idea about us as people and our needs.

Basically she said we moved in too quickly.

And that if I don't like what he says or does, I can just leave .... since he is not holding me hostage.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
My wife an I come from a background of dealing with team conflicts. For us we treat conflicts much like we would any interpersonal issues in the same manner.

How you choose to handle that conflict determines whether it works to an advantage, or contributes to a demise.

1) Acknowledge the conflict.

The conflict has to be acknowledged before it can be explored and resolved. Most people will ignore the first signs of conflict, and ignore it as trivial, or is difficult to differentiate from the normal, healthy debate that teams can thrive on. If you are concerned about the conflict in your team, discuss it with other members. Once you have both recognizes the issue, it can start the process of resolution.

2) Discuss the impact.

As a couple discuss the impact the conflict is having on the dynamics/health of your relationship.

3) Make a cooperative plan for going forward. A process.

You BOTH must agree to cooperate in to resolve your shared conflicts. This means putting aside your personal feelings first. If one of you wants to "win" more than you want to resolve the conflict, you're going nowhere. It's about the issues not yourself.

4) Agree to communicate..

keep communication open. Both people need to talk about the issue and discuss their feelings while the other listens, because to move on you need to really understand where the other person is coming from.
It makes sense. But there are certain issues that I cannot even mention anymore (him texting a lot) because the moment I even look when the phone is beeping, he gets defensive.

Or he says I exaggerate. Which is sometimes true and sometimes not.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Sounds like the sex fog is wearing off. In reality, the relationship is mostly built on physical attraction, finances, etc. My guess is that you have some huge differences on fundamental issues, that will probably never resolve. Honestly, you sound like you've had more serious fights and than some couples have over their entire marriage. It isn't going to work.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Sounds like the sex fog is wearing off. In reality, the relationship is mostly built on physical attraction, finances, etc. My guess is that you have some huge differences on fundamental issues, that will probably never resolve. Honestly, you sound like you've had more serious fights and than some couples have over their entire marriage. It isn't going to work.

But then how come we agree on the basics? Finances, future, goals, work, friends, politics, opinions ...

We went away for 4 days and had the most wonderful trip - agreed on everything there. Which route to take, which hotel, how to split the bill, what to look at, sitting in the car 7 hours/day ... .

Then we came back home and 5 days later had another nasty fight about something dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships