Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

An open, easy camaraderie
An equal partner
Compassion/kindness
Physical affection
Libido in reasonable sync with mine
Shared/compatible values
Mutual respect
Emotional stability

Took a few false starts, but ultimately found the complete package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
He must buy me a pet monkey.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 PM

579 posts, read 555,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
LOL. Good idea

Old 09-04-2015, 01:44 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post

This is the wisest thing I have ever heard you say.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2015, 02:36 AM

849 posts, read 269,866 times
Default I want love

https://youtu.be/2mKNOY7GJu4

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2mKNOY7GJu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 09-04-2015, 09:27 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Someone demonstrative, passionate, and a deep, intellectual and independent thinker.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:45 PM

474 posts, read 384,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Not a looser.
Don't be loose, guys.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Allow me to have 7 cats along with cat furnishings throughout the house lol

Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I was the other poster she mentioned, and those "minimum requirements" were intended to be ridiculous. It's when you've had a bad relationship with a man, but he thinks he was so, so good to you because he never hit you, and he made some money (both partners working) to support the household, and if anyone had ever broken in, he'd have shot them.

So, he's the ideal mate, in his own mind. He "treated me well." Supposedly.

Just in case anyone's wondering, the OP was not projecting her stuff into that, it was more a matter of "this is worth thinking about and discussing, perhaps." A train of thought.

So! What do I NEED in a partner...

We need to connect intellectually, and they have to appreciate my snarky humor. If they don't get my references and jokes, or we can't have interesting conversations, that's a no-go right from the beginning. They have to be openminded and tolerant. I'm OK with not agreeing about everything, but if they can't accept differing opinions and have a need to argue with me until I capitulate and agree with their position...forget it. We have to have SOME common interests, or at least not utterly clashing ones, so that we can enjoy things in life together. If both of us look at what the other likes in terms of hobbies and interests and says, "Oh, hell no, I could never" then that is a problem.

He's got to be a man. Not an oversized child. I'm not chasing wealth, but functionality...so he can support himself, he's able to live within his means, and also he has enough emotional strength and sense of self worth that he's not desperately dependent on another person to make him feel valuable as a human being.

There cannot be anything physically that completely and totally puts me off. I'm not talking about a guy having to be super hot, but if he's always got boogers hanging in his nose, or if he's got squinty, twitchy mannerisms that drive me nuts, or really nasty teeth, I won't want to be physical with him. At least average looking.

He must be willing to be loved. I love very easily (totally blame my hippie mother) and when I do, that isn't me saying that I need them to be my one and only until we die, or let's move in together, or that they need to make any kind of a commitment at all. Some men, however, for whatever reason, are terrified of being loved. Like it's some kind of a trap. Well, it's not. When I give something freely, I'm not demanding anything in return.

They have to be able to communicate honestly about relationship dynamics. No secrets there. No married men who want to cheat on their wives. And if he's got other lovers, fine, just so long as none of them think that there is nonexistent exclusivity and I don't either. We all know where we stand and no one is lying or playing cover-up with the situation. I'm ok with poly and open dynamics, as long as it's all above-board.

It can't be all about him, or all about me. I want a man who will demand and expect his needs to be met, and communicate them...not a pushover...and one who will respect me in the same manner, and we can both care about the wellbeing of the other and not be completely selfish OR self-effacing.

We have to WANT to be together, not HAVE to be together due to some circumstantial duress.

Oh, and an interest in kink and compatibility with mine, and great sex, that's pretty important, too.

Yes, this is a tall order. Might be a lifelong quest. But it's the journey, not the destination, right?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
"not to be beaten, to be protected and provided for"

None of those are anywhere my list of requirements. The first is simply a given. It's like saying "I want a man who wipes his own ass." It's a basic criteria for being even remotely human, let alone something I require in a partner.

As for the second, well what are they gonna protect me from? I'm 39 years old and have gotten along quite well on my own thus far.

And provided for? Well, I do that myself just fine too.

What I would require from any guy to constitute a "great" relationship:
-Someone I trust to make good decisions in my absence.
-Responsibility
-Someone who has my back to the same degree that I have his.
-Kindness
-Resilience
-A decent sense of humor and ability not to take himself too seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships