Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 10:29 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,303,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Apparently the virgin crowd also makes some very erroneous conclusions around this
The virgin crowd? He's one person. I'm sure the virgin crowd is populated by virgins with different views, outlooks, motivations, and reasons for being virgins.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,477,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I wonder, if someone can remain a virgin, yet be just as experienced as a non virgin in a relationship? or is the sexual element needed?
No, they can't, and for me, yes, the sexual element is needed, because of what I said upthread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Which actually begs another point: Sex is a big part of a relationship. A good sex life takes teamwork and communication to work through things like dry spells, hectic schedules, illness, injury, rough patches in the relationship, etc.

If someone has never been through that with someone before, he simply doesn't have the kind of relationship experience I want in a partner. It's why I wouldn't date someone considerably younger than myself again, either, and when I do decide to date again, I'd rather stick with men who have already been married, like I've been. I'm done with thinking, "Yeah, he has no idea what this is like. How could he? He's never been through it." That includes sex.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You are kind of going off the deep end. If, at 40, someone hasn't been able to sustain a single relationship, then there is most likely a reason why. I look around me and I can't think of a single person that I know that hasn't been in at least one relationship by the time they are 40.
Which begs yet another point. In my brief stint of OLD, I saw that some of the sites have slots where people can list their longest relationship. I saw profiles of men in their 40s and even early 50s that indicated they'd never made it to a second year with someone. Nope, not going near those, either. It's just not a good track record, to me. The more years he's had with someone, the more likely I was to take an interest, because it tells me he most likely has the skills to work through problems not only between his partner and himself, but to stay together and be a team when life throws those inevitable curve balls.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
We all want things. Humans are very selfish and self-centered by nature so it's not surprising that we place our individual wants and needs front and center in our life, and often act as if our needs and wants are uniquely special and deserve special attention or consideration. But in the real world, we often times have to give and bend a little (sometimes more than just a little); we can't always get or obtain what we want. Holding out for only x,y and z is fine and all, but we don't live in a Utopian world in which all of our wants and desires flow freely into our laps. Most people eventually settle (often times for less than what they optimally want).
No, I don't have to "bend" a little to accommodate a virgin. The older one gets, the more rare virgins are, the more discussions like this become more theoretical than applicable.

That said, no one in the United States has to bend on this. Given that the average American loses their virginity around age 17, there are plenty of non-virgins for other non-virgins to choose from.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,754,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justThis View Post
The other thread about 40-year old virgins has me curious about when exactly a person's virginity goes from being "okay" to "not okay". So, if you're of the mindset that virgins become unworthy of your interest/time after they hit a certain age, what age would that be, and why?

Also, just for clarity, by "virgin" I mean p-in-v sex. The person could have had any number of other kinds of sexual experiences. This is how I had interpreted the other thread so I just want to make sure I'm understanding everyone's perspective on this.

And finally, the other thread was specifically about men but I'm interested in hearing about everyone's preferences, so feel free to comment on both sexes.
When? Long before 40, that's for certain.

Being a virgin at 16 or 18 is normal. Even at 20 one wouldn't deviate much from the norm. But as the years pass, it becomes increasingly unusual. Human beings are sexual creatures. Sex is a basic form of human pair-bonding. If someone is 40, or 30-something, or even 25, virginity screams 'dysfunction!'.

Maybe this dysfunction is a severe interpersonal dysfunction. Maybe it's a complete absence of social skills. Maybe it's some weird religiosity. Either way, it's a morass into which I would not wade. I'm married and in my forties, so the question for me is merely theoretical, but the point stands.

Oh, and as for those mythical people in their late twenties who are completely normal and who have just been 'unlucky'? Uh huh... whatever... even if we pretend such normal people who want to have sex and, gol dang it, just have been unlucky for many years on end actually do exist (and I'm not inclined to pretend any such thing) then they can't be be more than 1% of the weirdly old virgins out there. And their supposed 'unluckiness' is their problem, not mine.

Again, sex is normal. People who can't figure out how to have it or refuse to because of some religious hangup are highly likely to be bring all sorts of nonsense and/or problems to a relationship. Virginity at 30 is like living in Mom's basement at 30. Proceed with appropriate caution.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,391,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Being a virgin at 16 or 18 is normal. Even at 20 one wouldn't deviate much from the norm. But as the years pass, it becomes increasingly unusual. Human beings are sexual creatures. Sex is a basic form of human pair-bonding. If someone is 40, or 30-something, or even 25, virginity screams 'dysfunction!'.

Maybe this dysfunction is a severe interpersonal dysfunction. Maybe it's a complete absence of social skills. Maybe it's some weird religiosity. Either way, it's a morass into which I would not wade. I'm married and in my forties, so the question for me is merely theoretical, but the point stands.

Oh, and as for those mythical people in their late twenties who are completely normal and who have just been 'unlucky'? Uh huh... whatever... even if we pretend such normal people who want to have sex and, gol dang it, just have been unlucky for many years on end actually do exist (and I'm not inclined to pretend any such thing) then they can't be be more than 1% of the weirdly old virgins out there. And their supposed 'unluckiness' is their problem, not mine.

Again, sex is normal. People who can't figure out how to have it or refuse to because of some religious hangup are highly likely to be bring all sorts of nonsense and/or problems to a relationship. Virginity at 30 is like living in Mom's basement at 30. Proceed with appropriate caution.
Way to be ignorant and judgmental.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:33 PM

51 posts, read 58,075 times
s1ut shaming is unacceptable
virgin shaming should be as well

Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,179,781 times
Quote:

And people say there have been no condescending post here. You should just stick with the philosophy forum.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:24 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,179,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Wing View Post
s1ut shaming is unacceptable
virgin shaming should be as well
This needs to be a sticky. It's one thing to say you wouldn't date one but the stigma attached to it is unnecessary and does nothing but alienate.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 PM

290 posts, read 213,669 times
Quote:

what a complete joke of a post.

plenty of normal non-dysfunctional people are virgins in their mid to late 20's and later..and/or live with their parents. Plenty of older people live with their parents nowadays due to how much it costs to get your own place nowadays. People dont necessarily move out once they turn 18 anymore...and its a good thing as long as u are trying to make something of yourself.

and guess what..there are people that HAVE BEEN unlucky dating. just because you found it easy doesnt mean thats the case for everyone.

I was a 30 something virgin..i guess i am/was dysfunctional in ur crazy eyes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships