Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:08 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriene View Post
But it does happen. That's reality. Stick to reality, not things that can't ever be changed.
Yeah...it happens...don't see anyone who said it doesn't...people also get sentenced to prison for escalating a non-violent situation to a felony assault...that's reality too...meh...both work just fine for me as long as violent cretins reep the consequences of their actions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:10 PM

30 posts, read 22,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yeah...it happens...don't see anyone who said it doesn't...people also get sentenced to prison for escalating a non-violent situation to a felony assault...that's reality too...meh...both work just fine for me as long as violent cretins reep the consequences of their actions
True. But women should be careful how they behave. Wise advice, no?

Old 09-19-2015, 05:27 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriene View Post
True. But women should be careful how they behave. Wise advice, no?
Oh no doubt...you won't find a bigger proponent than me for women knowing how to pick their battles...period...and if their pride gets them in a situation where they've instigated a physical altercation with a man, and they're convinced they can go to go toe to toe with him, she'd better be prepared for the outcome....and I'd give that advice to small men as well...because lord knows, even though I'm a good deal larger than the average size man, if a smaller man is foolish enough to physically touch me, he can rest assured we'll get our licks in until one of us is ko'd...I had that problem even as a teenager in school, as I was taller than most kids my age... When I was younger, I had teachers tell me I'm too large to hit back after hurting the other kid...like hell I am...the smaller person had better learn how to pick their battles or shoot a gun or go get their brother/daddy or outsmart the bigger person or something, because if I'm hit, I hit back...no way Im going to sit there and let a person who is a fraction my size stand there and pummel me, just because Im afraid of hurting them if I hit back...you know what youre doing when you initiate physical confrontation with someone twice your size ....if you don't have brawn, you better have brains. And sometimes having brains means also knowing when you're in a fight you can't win or one that isn't worth fighting.

That said, getting in someone's face who's bigger than you is definitely stupid, but you still haven't prompted them to physically defend themselves...pissed them off? Sure. Assaulted them, prompting a self defensive response? Not the way I see it.

Last edited by soletaire; 09-19-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 05:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Think of the damage done to me at the age of 4 when my father used to beat me up. This was in India, where the cops don't love a **** for abuse. I would have been a lot weaker than the average woman, but managed to survive those harrowing moments. It taught me a good lesson.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 PM

720 posts, read 500,735 times
I had a girl I dated years ago slap me once while we were in bed together. We'd gone days without talking to one another because of a fight and she was like, "I really wanted to smack you" and I said, "so do it". She said she "what? No!" and I said "come on, stop being a punk" and I pinched her, so she gave me one. I held my face pretending it hurt and said, "I didn't really think you'd do it!" and she said, "oh my God I'm sorry!" and I just laughed.

She was a sweet girl...

Anyway, I'd never hit a woman, but if a woman hit me, I'd have to end it. It would mean she doesn't respect me. I feel bad for women who deal with domestic violence, but I feel like in order to get rid of it, you have to be the kind of person who doesn't deal with it. What I mean is, you can't be in relationships where there are heated arguments where you're talking crazy and throwing things and there are accusations being thrown around...because all of that leads to physical altercations. You have to fight for peace and joy in your life, not with each other.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:04 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I had a girl I dated years ago slap me once while we were in bed together. We'd gone days without talking to one another because of a fight and she was like, "I really wanted to smack you" and I said, "so do it". She said she "what? No!" and I said "come on, stop being a punk" and I pinched her, so she gave me one. I held my face pretending it hurt and said, "I didn't really think you'd do it!" and she said, "oh my God I'm sorry!" and I just laughed.

She was a sweet girl...

Anyway, I'd never hit a woman, but if a woman hit me, I'd have to end it. It would mean she doesn't respect me. I feel bad for women who deal with domestic violence, but I feel like in order to get rid of it, you have to be the kind of person who doesn't deal with it. What I mean is, you can't be in relationships where there are heated arguments where you're talking crazy and throwing things and there are accusations being thrown around...because all of that leads to physical altercations. You have to fight for peace and joy in your life, not with each other.
Pinching lol yes in jest I love doing that drives them mental 😂😂😂😂👍

Old 09-19-2015, 06:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
What's with the sentiment around here that a woman getting in a man's face is grounds for physical attack?
It's not "the sentiment around here."

It's ONE poster who keeps saying it to try and provoke a response of outrage for entertainment purposes. This is also the same poster who is supposedly divorcing his supposed wife of supposedly ten years and has supposedly hidden all kinds of money in supposed offshore accounts.

At any rate, I don't really buy the "THESE DAYS, women need to be more careful about getting in a man's face so they don't get smacked down..."

I think it was FAR more common in previous decades/generations when it was socially acceptable to backhand your wife (or worse). It's not, anymore...even in certain subcultures where it's still more commonplace, there is still the stigma of getting arrested for it if someone opts to pursue legal action. In, say, my grandmother's generation, smacking your wife around wasn't even SPOKEN of, let alone a point of collective social outrage. It was just something that happened that people shrugged off, largely.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
My mom always told me that if I ever raised my hand to a man, not to be surprised it he hit me back.
Her advice... If you're gonna hit him, do it from behind with a baseball bat and hit him hard enough to incapacitate him. ( I am kidding of course).

Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My mom always told me that if I ever raised my hand to a man, not to be surprised it he hit me back.
Her advice... If you're gonna hit him, do it from behind with a baseball bat and hit him hard enough to incapacitate him.
How Charming 😂😂😂😂😂

Old 09-19-2015, 06:25 PM

720 posts, read 500,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think it was FAR more common in previous decades/generations when it was socially acceptable to backhand your wife (or worse). It's not, anymore...even in certain subcultures where it's still more commonplace, there is still the stigma of getting arrested for it if someone opts to pursue legal action. In, say, my grandmother's generation, smacking your wife around wasn't even SPOKEN of, let alone a point of collective social outrage. It was just something that happened that people shrugged off, largely.
This is true. I think domestic violence against wives was much more common yet less talked about in prior generations than it is now. But I think that has lead us as a society to make some assumptions that are not necessarily true:

1. Women are never the aggressors;
2. Women don't really pose an existential threat; and,
3. If a woman does physically assault a man, he probably deserved it.

Men may be naturally more aggressive than women, on the whole, but there are plenty of women who get violent when they get upset. She may not be stronger than the average man, but a punch or slap is still a hit, and if she picks something up, she can absolutely cause some damage. And, well, justification for domestic violence is a slippery slope. If there are things for which a man should be hit by his woman, are there things for which a woman should be hit by her man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships