Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times

Advertisements

I hate Starbucks for all the reasons the OP mentioned. Not just for first meets, but all the time. Doesn't your town have cooler coffee houses? Mine has many many super cool ones.

However, I have to say, I haven't had many successful coffee meets. Can't really say why. I don't mind meeting during the day, but maybe coffee shops aren't my natural habitat. I think overall, meeting for a drink in the evening is better. Coffee is just too business like.

But hey, I had a great first meet today, and we met for brunch/outdoor jazz music
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:18 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,443,415 times
The whole idea of meeting for coffee is to briefly get to know the other person and see if you want to continue and go somewhere else or go on a proper date on another day, this is how I've always done it. Several LTR I've been in (including my current G/F of almost a year) I met the woman initially for coffee.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGSD View Post
I've gone to many non corporate coffee shops in my town and they are often packed with college students with limited seating. You still have bookstores around you with coffee shops inside?!
Seattle has several such bookstores, and Portland has one, too, as does the town where I currently live in NM. There are also a couple of nice teahouses that also serve desserts and light snacks & salads. Some Starbucks around the Bay Area have a section that's all sofas and coffee tables, with people quietly reading, and the local coffee shop chain has tables for adults to sit and talk, too.

I don't know anything about your town, but unless it's small, and the students have taken over all such venues, most cities and towns have something that attracts a variety of older crowds that don't involve kids.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-20-2015 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 07:38 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I don't do that! I have a little routine I always do based on my experience. Meet woman at a bar, have a few drinks and when you leave the bar, I go like "Lets sit in my car and talk". I have never had a woman say NO to this.

At least for me I find the car the perfect place to make the first move.
Hmmmm.....I thought that was what you're warned against - if you get into a vehicle it's so they can take you somewhere and kill you! Never get in a vehicle on a first date, ladies! Nothing personal against you, of course...

Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I agree with you. I've been having this ongoing debate about it with a buddy of mine. I told him I prefer drinks and he prefers coffee. He said he feels less pressure with coffee. I may start trying it because I'm tired of wasting so much money. But I agree its not necessarily ideal.
I read this and thought, this entire post sums up what I just said in mine. Find someone who agrees more with you (you prefer drinks, find someone that does too). And that drinks can become expensive, especially when those first dates don't work out.

Haha. Thanks for reinforcing my choices of why I choose to do what I do.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
I don't do that! I have a little routine I always do based on my experience. Meet woman at a bar, have a few drinks and when you leave the bar, I go like "Lets sit in my car and talk". I have never had a woman say NO to this.

At least for me I find the car the perfect place to make the first move.
You target young inexperienced women....you get them alone quickly...you pushould physical advances on them.....you are just getting creepier sounding to be honest.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:06 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmmm.....I thought that was what you're warned against - if you get into a vehicle it's so they can take you somewhere and kill you! Never get in a vehicle on a first date, ladies! Nothing personal against you, of course...
It is what smart women are warned...I think IC is just creepy and doesn't have stock in duct tape and kitchen knives....but no one.....male or female...should get into the car of someone you've just met for a date!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:23 PM

48,520 posts, read 34,843,322 times
If I'm meeting the guy for the first time I learned to prefer a coffee (ice cream, whatever...) or lunch on a week day. It gives both parties a clear line of escape if either so choose. A first date? No. I've usually talked with the guy enough and met him in person so I would know if I wanted to spend time with him (him too).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2015, 09:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm not sure that the 5-7 PM window is the best time to start an early stage date. My preference has been towards like 7-8 PM start times. That way, it is clear that it is just a drinks date and not a dinner date.
Really? Because 7-8 is dinner time for me. 5-7 = not dinner time! A drinks date to me would start at 8:30. Or between 4-6:30. 6:30-8:30 is prime dinner hour!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Sure, total stranger. I'll go sit in your car with you!
/\ What Tabula said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships