U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

11,188 posts, read 9,545,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
An older lady friend of mine told me this once: It's easy to see a horse kicking, but not so easy to see the fly that was biting it.

While it's true that many people have trouble controlling their emotions when placed in situations they don't like, it's not true that all of these people have serious mental disorders, or anything that requires a "label". Most people, like the horse in the old lady's saying, don't lash out "for no reason". While their reaction may be "over the top", more likely than not, they did have a fly biting them.

Like easterner said above, if it's one person (and an isolated incident), it may very well be them. But, if it's more than one person, or if the same person does this in your presence repeatedly, it's definitely time to look at how you come off to others.
Wise words, I like your horse analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM

32 posts, read 6,398 times
At first glance, yes, that type of behavior would be considered bipolar. But if you always seem to run into this type of behavior, then maybe it's you. I have a guy friend who is a very good person, but his personality is VERY annoying and I don't even think that he knows it (give me a minute; this may start to sound familiar to you).

He has a very condescending and sarcastic personality and I can't stand to be around him for longer than 24 hours at a time...seriously. It's like this: We'll be having a perfectly normal conversation. I could be talking about how I plan to start traveling more, and he'll say something like...."We'll yeah, there's more to the world then just your little home town"…in a very calm manner.

Even if/when I ignore comments like this and continue to talk, sure enough, he follows with another sarcastic comment. So, Yes, I lash out at him when he's being annoying like that. Anyone else, I can have a normal conversation with, but his personality makes that very hard. I have yet to tell my friend that he’s annoying, but if I did, he’d say something sarcastic like…” Oh common, you can’t handle the truth.” Mean while, there’s no truth to any of his condescending comments…..sound familiar????

Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,089,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well Art, I wouldn't worry too much about these type of people. There is something wrong with them, that much is for certain. If I were you, I would just try to avoid these types, once I saw how they acted. I'm quite sure the entire problem is caused by something thats within them, not by anything you said or did to the person. Just be friendly toward the people who treat you well. You deserve better treatment than you describe!

But I still don't understand why you posted this to make ME look bad! Do you somehow feel like you are above me by doing this. Do you think you will improve YOUR image by attempting to make ME look bad? I havn't done anything to you, and you had better leave me alone. And now, you wan't to criticise my clothes as well!! And then, blame all this on ME, to boot!! Man, I just can't figure this all out!

But like I was saying Art, I know some of these people too. I think we should both just stay away from them! They aren't deserving of our friendships, because we are BETTER people than they are! Stay strong, and take care!
I actually thought he was talking about me....but I guess it was you!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,166,533 times
Hmmm.... Artsyguy being condescending, smug and sarcastic in real life... well he does have a slight superiority complex.

Seriously though, if someone is snapping at you abruptly in conversations, just drop their acquaintance and stick with the people that are consistently nice to you. Or just call them out on it and ask them why they just did what they did to you. Get it all out in the open. Don't ignore it like maybe you imagined it.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM

3,632 posts, read 11,000,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
By my understanding, no it isn't. I understand the term multiple personality to refer to schizophrenia, which I think most often involves the person 'hearing voices' that tell them bad or confusing things.
Nope not quite. Multiple personality is a person having more than one distinct personality.

Schizophrenia is when one hears voices or see visions that are not there (hallucinations). Also, has delusional thinking, racing thoughts, and paranoia.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM

25,170 posts, read 34,036,450 times
Actually I would consider condescending sarcasm to be a form of lashing out, regardless if it is in a calm tone or not.

I never, I repeat never use condescending saracsm with people that I like or enjoy being around. It is only common sense to be nice and sensitive to those you like. Sarcasm without the point to entertain you or cheer you up, is just mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
At first glance, yes, that type of behavior would be considered bipolar. But if you always seem to run into this type of behavior, then maybe it's you. I have a guy friend who is a very good person, but his personality is VERY annoying and I don't even think that he knows it (give me a minute; this may start to sound familiar to you).

He has a very condescending and sarcastic personality and I can't stand to be around him for longer than 24 hours at a time...seriously. It's like this: We'll be having a perfectly normal conversation. I could be talking about how I plan to start traveling more, and he'll say something like...."We'll yeah, there's more to the world then just your little home town"…in a very calm manner.

Even if/when I ignore comments like this and continue to talk, sure enough, he follows with another sarcastic comment. So, Yes, I lash out at him when he's being annoying like that. Anyone else, I can have a normal conversation with, but his personality makes that very hard. I have yet to tell my friend that he’s annoying, but if I did, he’d say something sarcastic like…” Oh common, you can’t handle the truth.” Mean while, there’s no truth to any of his condescending comments…..sound familiar????

Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM

what is the point of asking if the person is playing mind games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
By my understanding, no it isn't. I understand the term multiple personality to refer to schizophrenia, which I think most often involves the person 'hearing voices' that tell them bad or confusing things.

Bi-polar, aka manic depression consists of extreme highs where everything seems possible and people can talk lots and fast, get impossible amounts of work done, have mad ideas flowing thick and fast, sometimes go on shopping sprees, or invite strangers to their home, followed by periods of intense depression.

I don't have direct experience of either condition, but I thought bi-polar disorder didn't phase fast enough to change like that during one conversation.

Maybe if asking the person direct isn't working, the OP could ask other people nearby if they know what he's done wrong (subtley after the conversation) when this happens. I know a few people who just seem to push all the wrong buttons with me and they don't know they're doing it, but other people tend to get it!

Either that or said people are just hypersensitive or a bit melodramatic

Old 01-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks Dennis58
You are very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
Well Art, I wouldn't worry too much about these type of people. There is something wrong with them, that much is for certain. If I were you, I would just try to avoid these types, once I saw how they acted. I'm quite sure the entire problem is caused by something thats within them, not by anything you said or did to the person. Just be friendly toward the people who treat you well. You deserve better treatment than you describe!

But I still don't understand why you posted this to make ME look bad! Do you somehow feel like you are above me by doing this. Do you think you will improve YOUR image by attempting to make ME look bad? I havn't done anything to you, and you had better leave me alone. And now, you wan't to criticise my clothes as well!! And then, blame all this on ME, to boot!! Man, I just can't figure this all out!

But like I was saying Art, I know some of these people too. I think we should both just stay away from them! They aren't deserving of our friendships, because we are BETTER people than they are! Stay strong, and take care!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,525,169 times
Apparently, this is one of those cases where the OP wants a certain response and when he doesn't get it, throws a tantrum.

Maybe he should take a look at the other thread going on now about "interpersonal relationships"?

Anyway, hope my wise words have helped someone else. Even if not, this was good for a chuckle. Long live the ignore button!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,166,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Apparently, this is one of those cases where the OP wants a certain response and when he doesn't get it, throws a tantrum.

Maybe he should take a look at the other thread going on now about "interpersonal relationships"?

Anyway, hope my wise words have helped someone else. Even if not, this was good for a chuckle. Long live the ignore button!
Ding! You are correct. We have a winn4r!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships