Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,192 times

Advertisements

If it's someone really important to you, risk it. Brother or sister, absolute best friend for life, etc.

Otherwise, even if they're sort of passingly important to you but not CLOSE -- mind your own business.

People seldom think so much as they draw ridiculous associations. They break up and for reasons no one understands YOU are the common denominator. For the cheater, you told on them. It ALWAYS comes out so don't think you can stay anonymous. For the one cheated on, they associate you with unpleasantness in their lives. The former friendliness drops to cordiality via this association AND some degree of embarrassment, then the relationship backs off to distance, and fades.

Kaput.

If they work it out, now you're labeled a busybody and a troublemaker, and everybody has forgotten that you were trying to protect one of them. Word gets around (like I said, people are stupid) and it's almost as though you caused the cheater to stray and the one cheated on, needless anguish.

Kaput AND they both hate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
None of my business honestly.

The truth will come out eventually.

Also it is highly unlikely they will believe you anyway, unless you are INSANELY close.

I like to avoid drama.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I used a more indirect approach once.

I walked into a bar near my house and saw a buddy's girlfriend there, making out with another guy on the patio and in PDA mode. I immediately, detoured back into the bar and called my buddy and told him to come down, I would buy him beers and Jager and hang out.

He only lived about ten minutes away.

I texted him to meet me on the patio when he got there, then I took off to get something to eat at a restaurant next door to the bar.

He showed up, walked right into it and having beers with me was the last thing he was thinking about at that point.
This is what I would do too.

Lead them to the situation.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 PM

62 posts, read 50,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
If it's someone really important to you, risk it. Brother or sister, absolute best friend for life, etc.

Otherwise, even if they're sort of passingly important to you but not CLOSE -- mind your own business.

People seldom think so much as they draw ridiculous associations. They break up and for reasons no one understands YOU are the common denominator. For the cheater, you told on them. It ALWAYS comes out so don't think you can stay anonymous. For the one cheated on, they associate you with unpleasantness in their lives. The former friendliness drops to cordiality via this association AND some degree of embarrassment, then the relationship backs off to distance, and fades.

Kaput.

If they work it out, now you're labeled a busybody and a troublemaker, and everybody has forgotten that you were trying to protect one of them. Word gets around (like I said, people are stupid) and it's almost as though you caused the cheater to stray and the one cheated on, needless anguish.

Kaput AND they both hate you.
This is exactly what I told my cousin... I completely agree with you

Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
None of my business honestly.

The truth will come out eventually.

Also it is highly unlikely they will believe you anyway, unless you are INSANELY close.

I like to avoid drama.
Exactly. People will shoot the messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships