Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Don't feed the bitter man troll
Real stats back up my arguments the majority of marriages end in divorce and are a bad financial move if you are a male. If you are a female marriage and divorce can work out very well for you financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Divorce rates are close to 60 percent. If you want to take your chances thats on you. Personally I value my economic and personal freedom far to much to ever consider marriage.
You are so very wrong

Quote:
We've all heard that 50 percent of marriages in the U.S. end in divorce.

And while that disheartening stat continues to get tossed around, the divorce rate isn't really at 50 percent -- and it isn't rising either. In fact, a new piece in the New York Times' data blog Upshot suggests that the divorce rate has actually been dropping for some time now. Looking at the numbers, the Times suggests the high divorce rate of the late 1970s and early 1980s may have just been a "historical anomaly," rather than a trend.

About 70 percent of marriages that*began in the 1990s reached their 15th anniversary, up from roughly 65 percent of those that began in the 1970s and 1980s. And couples who wed in the 2000s are divorcing at even lower rates.
Cite:The Truth About The Divorce Rate Is Surprisingly Optimistic

Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Real stats back up my arguments the majority of marriages end in divorce and are a bad financial move if you are a male. If you are a female marriage and divorce can work out very well for you financially.
Stats actually do not back you up, they flat out refute you. You are wrong, point blank.

Averaged out it's approximately 49%. While not steller, it's not a "majority"

Old 09-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Stats actually do not back you up, they flat out refute you. You are wrong, point blank.

Oh boy 49 percent what great odds . Also doesn't change the fact that men get hosed by sexist courts after a divorce losing custody of children just because courts are biased towards women. Not to mention alimony laws its ridiculous you would have to be insane to get married in this day and age.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:08 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Also doesn't change the fact that men get hosed by sexist courts after a divorce losing custody of children just because courts are biased towards women.
While that may have been somewhat true in the past, the tide has definitely shifted in a lot of jurisdictions.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
While that may have been somewhat true in the past, the tide has definitely shifted in a lot of jurisdictions.
I would hope so. Blatant favoritism of one gender should be illegal female privilege in society should be pointed out and challenged.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
I would hope so. Blatant favoritism of one gender should be illegal female privilege in society should be pointed out and challenged.
I know, for a fact, that there are many jurisdictions here in the US where the "best interests of the child" are taken very seriously. And that does not include feeding into the notion that somehow, because she has a vagina, the mother is a better parent.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Yeah no.

It's about 35% of first time marriages end in divorce. And women come out worse after divorce. Stats show this really clearly.

Quote:

It's about a third, and has been for years. The numbers for college educated people are even lower.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah no.

It's about 35% of first time marriages end in divorce. And women come out worse after divorce. Stats show this really clearly.

It's about a third, and has been for years. The numbers for college educated people are even lower.
I got the 49% from another study that averaged all divorce rates since 1970. I sure that conflated the average and skewed it higher than it is now.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Divorce rates are close to 60 percent. If you want to take your chances thats on you. Personally I value my economic and personal freedom far to much to ever consider marriage.
Marriage is the only way to bring someone here who lives in Russia, she can't just be your gf. And I assume OP was unable to find a women here to date or he wouldn't have gone overseas in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships