Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times

Advertisements

Yes. Im actually in group therapy for it along with other people with the same issues. Apparently, for us, the source was dysfunctional families in childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:08 PM

579 posts, read 555,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Social anxiety" = worrying too much about what you think others are thinking about YOU.

Place the focus on other people when you are out and work on learning more about THEM. That's what relationships are supposed to be based on anyway ... mutual interests and caring. Take yourself out of the equation.
Thanks for the unsolicited advice

Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Are there any people on here with moderate to severe SA? How has it affected your dating life? I am female, 20's, but always found it hard to find a boyfriend because of this. I've been able to attract men one way or another but having SA makes it difficult to get to know people and find the right match.
I have tried very hard to get over my SA but still struggle and rarely go out. Being an introvert also doesn't help, as I like my alone time. But then I find myself getting lonely so it's like a cycle that's hard to break.
I have no problem with ladies with SA. If you're in the Maryland area hit me up

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Thanks for the unsolicited advice
Starting a thread = soliciting advice

Old 09-26-2015, 01:05 AM

818 posts, read 917,477 times
There are tons of meds for anxiety. Go see a Dr. Just stay away from the ones that are addicting, like Xanax, etc.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Definitely. My anxiety has gotten better, professionally. Like dealing with anything business related.

But socializing simply for the sake of it, is as bad as ever. Usually whenever I am out, I am not paying much attention to people, and have my music in while in my own little world. So, that is surely not inviting. But that's how I entertain myself, and it relaxes me.

I am fine with talking to people - if they come to me. According to my mother, I get that from my father, who is also shy, but overcompensates- as my mother says. But going on both my parents, I am worse than my father. Which I jokingly comment I got the worst traits from both of them. Both of them have anxiety. Then I also got the depression from my mother.
This sort of baffles me. I know a guy who has SA but you would not know it when he's at work. It wasn't until we were outside of work that it showed that he had SA and I couldn't understand how someone who deals with the public daily in his professional life could have SA.

Why is it comfortable socializing in a business environment vs a social one? I would think strangers are strangers regardless of the setting.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Yes. Im actually in group therapy for it along with other people with the same issues. Apparently, for us, the source was dysfunctional families in childhood.
It's great you're getting help and yes the guy I know who has SA did have a troubled childhood, so there is truth to that.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:34 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
This sort of baffles me. I know a guy who has SA but you would not know it when he's at work. It wasn't until we were outside of work that it showed that he had SA and I couldn't understand how someone who deals with the public daily in his professional life could have SA.

Why is it comfortable socializing in a business environment vs a social one? I would think strangers are strangers regardless of the setting.
Hard to explain. But I can try.

Being around someone who's being paid to assist you, or see to you is just easier. I am not shy going to a dentist, or doctor, diner, speaking with an employee, or boss. Making appointments, etc That's just easy. Asking for help if I can't find something in a store. Plus it helps that you need to do those things. There's nothing personal, vulnerable there. Least not for me. It's like how some shy guys may have trouble talking to women, but they are perfectly comfortable paying a hooker.

Business is just different from Casual. Just like the former names states. Business is just business.

Like sex. It's always sex. But whom you have it with, and under what context can change things a good bit. Sex with a hooker is probably going to be way different than sex for the 1st time with a girl whom the man has feelings for and wants to continue seeing. Thus he's probably liable to care more what she thinks of him than the hooker. 1 was business. The other has more feeling tied to it, and room to be nervous how they come across, and how accepted they are.

You're going for sharing yourself personally with other people. Trying to get together with people to form personal relationships - platonic or sexual, can be more challenging than being around or talking to someone for profit, or assistance, with nothing more expected. The latter is alot less personable, then if there's a mishap, it's not as upsetting.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:09 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Hard to explain. But I can try.

Being around someone who's being paid to assist you, or see to you is just easier. I am not shy going to a dentist, or doctor, diner, speaking with an employee, or boss. Making appointments, etc That's just easy. Asking for help if I can't find something in a store. Plus it helps that you need to do those things. There's nothing personal, vulnerable there. Least not for me. It's like how some shy guys may have trouble talking to women, but they are perfectly comfortable paying a hooker.

Business is just different from Casual. Just like the former names states. Business is just business.

Like sex. It's always sex. But whom you have it with, and under what context can change things a good bit. Sex with a hooker is probably going to be way different than sex for the 1st time with a girl whom the man has feelings for and wants to continue seeing. Thus he's probably liable to care more what she thinks of him than the hooker. 1 was business. The other has more feeling tied to it, and room to be nervous how they come across, and how accepted they are.

You're going for sharing yourself personally with other people. Trying to get together with people to form personal relationships - platonic or sexual, can be more challenging than being around or talking to someone for profit, or assistance, with nothing more expected. The latter is alot less personable, then if there's a mishap, it's not as upsetting.
You explained it very well.

But mostly, for me, it's that you have to come up with chatter out of the blue. I can't just meet someone and have a whole bunch of small talk to throw at them. But people expect that.

My SO would always talk about how easy it was to speak with/in front of people at work because you just have to concentrate on the work; you know the information, you know what you're going to say, and that's all you have to deal with. I didn't really get it until I had to do it myself with clients. You're just dealing with facts; it's nothing personal, you know exactly what to say, so it's pretty basic and just handles itself. Getting personal is a whole different story altogether.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
How can you tell the difference of wheter you have social anxiety or are just shy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships