Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Dating should not be as difficult as some make it.
Whomever asks pays for every other date unless you are really just friends then each pays their own.
However, in our group of friends there is no set rule, if one wants to pay for all they do and the others leave the tip.
Other times everyone pays for their own and leave the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Let's see, women don't typically approach or ask men out.

People in this thread think it should be whoever asked the person out.

Hmmm...I wonder who its going to be ?

A lot of women approach and ask a man out, we are the women who seek and find the man we want and we are not to scared to pursue him or pay for the date.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:58 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
So what do you do now a days? Stand there and stare at the check?

I did online dating in my 20's most (not all) paid for our meals or admission to go dancing.Also for drinks.
What do I personally do? I reach for my purse when the bill comes and unless he says, "I got it," I pay my part of the bill.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:01 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
I always have just because I don't want to be rejected over something so trivial, but I can't help but be bothered. Are men and women equal?? Or are women a prize? Why should the man pay for a woman's company?? Does she not enjoy the company too?? Is it not mutual? If the man pays, is the women obligated to sleep with him?? But wait wouldn't the women be getting something out of that too?? Women enjoy sex too, right?? It's not about money. I could care less about that. It's just the concept. Am I suppose to feel like women are superior to me and I have to earn them??

I'm wondering what women think about guys who don't pay on the first date. Does it make you think he's not interested??

And I'm only talking about the first date. Once you know someone, it doesn't matter who pays in my opinion. I just feel like the first date should always be split. Am I wrong to feel this way? Many people will say to just do a cheap/free first date. That is missing the point though. I want a girl to want to meet me as much as I want to meet her.
Oh good grief. Again?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 PM

112 posts, read 141,280 times
All i got to say is that im not going to pay if you order a lot of expensive amount of food, the woman should know that she is not settling herself for the food but for a man that she should be looking forward to living with. Why take a girl our for dinner if she can cook? She should know how to cook instead of having to waste all that cash in your wallet.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 PM

645 posts, read 750,033 times
he's a total loser if he doesn't pay for the first date!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:30 AM

37 posts, read 58,135 times
I'd actually agree that the first date should be split if the people don't know each other all that well, ie. online dating, met in a bar (as opposed to longterm friends who are finally getting together.) It's just...simpler. Granted, I also think inexpensive dates are great at the beginning because they usually can be cut short with more ease, plus it's about getting to know the person not to do fun stuff.

Then, once you're in a well-established relationship, different paying habits can be sorted out as appropriate to the dynamic. No one right answer there.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:37 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee3789 View Post
I'd actually agree that the first date should be split if the people don't know each other all that well, ie. online dating, met in a bar (as opposed to longterm friends who are finally getting together.) It's just...simpler. Granted, I also think inexpensive dates are great at the beginning because they usually can be cut short with more ease, plus it's about getting to know the person not to do fun stuff.

Then, once you're in a well-established relationship, different paying habits can be sorted out as appropriate to the dynamic. No one right answer there.
I agree on the last part of your post... I'm old school and I'm not gonna let a woman pay for the first couple of dates... just isn't gonna happen.... but if we become an item then like you said things can shift and she can pay for things too, or mix it up, whatever.......

Old 09-26-2015, 08:03 AM

277 posts, read 271,297 times
If the date was suggested by me, then I would expect to pay for it. If we suggested it together, then 50-50. If he was the one who initiated it, I'll be ready to pay for my share, but he also better have enough money to cover the entire bill, just in case

Last edited by beweirdess; 09-26-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Not sure how the Dutch got dragged into that saying, but whatever...
Off topic, it's because back in the day the British didn't like the Dutch, so to rag on them they would call paying for yourself the "Dutch treat" "Dutch courage" is needing to be drunk to take action. A "Dutch oven" is a cooking pot, not an appliance. They did the same thing for the French.

On topic, whomever asks should pay generally, but in the world of online dating it's prudent for everyone to not expect to be paid for when you go out with basically a complete stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships