Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I made the helpless comment...and no, not having a door held open for you makes you helpless...it's expecting others to do it for you and / or refusing to open the door if you naturally get their first, that makes you acting to be helpless.

I think we all should hold doors open for each other....and we all should thank the person that does so....I just don't think it requires a penis to do it....or that it means more because someone with one does.

I missed the post where anyone said that they do that. Does anyone actually do that? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Yep, sometimes, it's like walking on ice, you know it's there, but 45 minutes later, it's a fubar. One day two years ago, I was ready to start my shift it was nasty and cold out, ice everywhere, I locked up the Area of Operations Bldg and was walking to the Rescue vehicle with the keys to the truck and bldg in one hand and a coffee in the other and slipped and went flying and landed on my ass good. I got up and cursed out everything, I said, why you no go dirty rat B#$%^&#* lol.
it actually happened to me last week at work. It was raining heavy in London last week and I'm about 130ft up in the air taking a scaffold down and the wooden boards when wet are like ice and Yep you've guessed it....... Straight on my back!!!!

Would have been funnier if it happened to someone else of course...

Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
it actually happened to me last week at work. It was raining heavy in London last week and I'm about 130ft up in the air taking a scaffold down and the wooden boards when wet are like ice and Yep you've guessed it....... Straight on my back!!!!

Would have been funnier if it happened to someone else of course...
Exactly! lol.

I give you guys lots of credit working high like that, dangerous gig mate. NY Jets next week in down town London, you going ? if you do be sure to open doors for everyone and pay attention to the steps afterwards, have a good one mate. Cheers!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Exactly! lol.

I give you guys lots of credit working high like that, dangerous gig mate. NY Jets next week in down town London, you going ? if you do be sure to open doors for everyone and pay attention to the steps afterwards, have a good one mate. Cheers!

It is yes mate but all good on that score

No I didn't even know they were meeting in London but I don't even know the rules for the nfl tbh

i only found out 2 year ago about American football matches in London when on a night out with the boys we bumped into a group of American ladies with Jacksonville jaguars jerseys on I believe..... I was a great night they drunk us under the table tho

Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Simple truth is, you don't. You don't have to do a damn thing. I don't care. I won't think of you any differently than any other dude, frankly. But the guy treats me differently, more special, than any other regular person he runs into during the day, will be the one I want to be with. And I will be treating him every bit as special.
This. ^^^

What this has to do with "feminism" is beyond me.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:26 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
I hold doors for people, although there are differences in how I do it.

I will stand and hold the door longer for my elders, regardless of gender -- perhaps slightly longer for women if they're alone.

In these cases almost invariably:

- if it's a couple they both thank me and I respond graciously.

- if it's either, and they appear to try and hurry up for me, I always smile and tell them to take their time, there's no need to hurry, the privilege is mine

- among elders, man or woman, I've always been thanked. Always.

I will hold doors for men. If they're pretty much at the same time, I hold it and allow them to pass first. If they're behind me I begin to step thru, but hold the door back for them. If in opposite directions, I hold the door enough they can begin to pass and get it themselves.

- I can only think of a couple of times I haven't been thanked, and both were pretty rude sorts who behaved as though I was holding the door for royalty

- about 30 percent of the time it's "thank you"; the remainder is that half-nod "thanks" where the chin comes up slightly

- in general among men, when a guy fails to thank you it's considered pretty poor form in Guy Code

I will hold doors for women. Although I will still typically give them some distance on approach during which I continue to wait, this has cut down significantly in the past decade.

- I would say I am given a dull "thanks" about 30 percent of the time; no nod or chin, maybe that's a guy thing

- a smile and "thanks" or "thank you" about 10 percent of the time; of this, about 1/10 is the big, smiling sort with the little bit of song in the voice

- the rest of the time whether single or in groups, women tend to just walk thru the door without nod, smile or comment. I would say this is chief among the reasons I've diminished the distance they can be away ere I hold the door

- the frequency of being thanked graciously by women is so low that I've actually taken to thanking them for being gracious enough to say thank you more than passingly.

- of the groups of women who walk thru the doors without thanks, there is sometimes one at the end of the line who might say a timid thanks, actually looking at me as she speaks. When this happens I specifically thank her for being the ONLY one courteous enough to say thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I hold the door for whomever is behind me. For the elderly or someone who's wrangling a bunch of small children, I hold the door and let them go in first.

It's kind of funny though, after all of these years in NY it still amuses me how shocked people are when you hold the door. The initial reaction is that of suspicion; a look that says "Why are you doing that?" Geez really? Do I look like the type who'd go for your wallet?

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 09-28-2015 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
We need more automatic sliding doors.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
you can sit back and complain about the inequities of the whole dating process, the bottom line is is you have to do more to stick out, your chances of getting the "job" to get back my job analogy, you have a much better chance of scoring with women than the guys holding up the wall whining and about the inequity of the dating world.
Nailed it. Really, holding a door is a basic courtesy, but it will definitely set you apart from the type of poster you see here wondering what the bare minimum is he can get away with when it comes to dating...

Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Very interesting observations, Urban. That is unfortunate that so many women take your courtesy for granted. I would guess I get thanks more often than 30% of the time but will have to pay more attention. My findings would be skewed anyway, because I am a woman and you are a man (thus probablyy taken for granted more often).

I taught my kids to hold the door for grown-ups to go through and to never let a door shut in someone's face if they can help it. That's all I can do, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships