Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 06:23 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
But OP has clearly expressed that he doesn't wish to live with a woman..
I'm not convinced he understands that you can live with a woman and not be legally tied to her. All the reasons (unless I missed it way early in this thread) he posted recently seem to be around fear of Alimony and loosing out in court. May be its not being so negative as much as being cautious. There are quite a few people who went into marriage without caution and ended up in a lifetime of hurt.

I'm fairly frugal (because of the environment I grew up in) while many of my coworkers love to spend money... money comes up a lot during lunch. When I say things like "I don't really need a new watch.. old one even damaged is fine...", many of them see me as being a kill-joy/negative. It really isn't that... it is that I'm hypersensitive to financial risk. Just different perspectives.

I think one can provide a healthy environment for a child that includes a mother and father and excludes marriage.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'm not convinced he understands that you can live with a woman and not be legally tied to her. All the reasons (unless I missed it way early in this thread) he posted recently seem to be around fear of Alimony and loosing out in court. May be its not being so negative as much as being cautious. There are quite a few people who went into marriage without caution and ended up in a lifetime of hurt.

I'm fairly frugal (because of the environment I grew up in) while many of my coworkers love to spend money... money comes up a lot during lunch. When I say things like "I don't really need a new watch.. old one even damaged is fine...", many of them see me as being a kill-joy/negative. It really isn't that... it is that I'm hypersensitive to financial risk. Just different perspectives.

I think one can provide a healthy environment for a child that includes a mother and father and excludes marriage.
While it's true that a couple doesn't have to be legally married to have a family, I think jotucker is going to have a hard time finding a woman who would want to raise a family with someone who keeps her at arms length and has one foot out the door. Not being married doesn't mean people won't get emotionally invested or that your can keep all your toys to yourself. Nobody wants to be taken advantage of, but when it comes to relationships you do have to let your guard down a little.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
It's a lot to think about. To be perfectly honest with you and everybody on this forum, there's a part of me that might want to have a kid or two down the line, but I might honestly want that situation to have NO TIES to an American woman nor The Family Court.

The Family Court and its laws are not fair in relation to men and I do not like the fact that a woman (if she wants to) could rip a guy over at any time she pleases, for whatever she pleases. Just like you bought up how a woman could fight hard to where I'm paying child support out of the rear, for a kid I can only see two weekends out of the month (4 days a month). That's the system, and nobody seems to care about said system because it hurts MEN, and nobody cares about MEN in today's America. If women were getting ripped off through this system you would see protests daily outside of every Family Court in the country. A man gets ripped off and is told to just "man up and take it".

It's why I really do not want to enter ANY legal relationship with any woman in the US that ties said relationship to the Family Court. It's why I'm not getting married, it's why I will never allow a woman to live with me, and it's why I might not create children AT ALL or if I do, I might create them with a surrogate mother.
Where'd you get these ideas from? Did your mother screw over your father in family court?

Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
Why are you so focused on the negative? There are many people who get married and STAY married!

I have a positive outlook on life which is why I'm quite happy to sign a prenup, coz in my head it's null & void because I won't be getting divorced. Try focusing your energy in a more positive direction by telling yourself that yes, the above could happen, but you're going to work hard on your relationship so you don't become another divorce statistic. In the unfortunate event of a divorce, then you would have chosen your partner so carefully that you can have an amicable Childcare arrangement without having to go through family court. There are also some fathers who are awarded custody of their children, but hopefully it won't get to this.

If you keep thinking negatively, then it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy coz your energy isn't going to be spent on building a good relationship, but on trying to avoid getting done over.

A significant majority.

And very very few divorces end up in court.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:12 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I'm just glad that, as strained as these metaphors are, society has dodged a bullet now that the OP won't be firing blanks. There's still hope.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:35 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
While it's true that a couple doesn't have to be legally married to have a family, I think jotucker is going to have a hard time finding a woman who would want to raise a family with someone who keeps her at arms length and has one foot out the door. Not being married doesn't mean people won't get emotionally invested or that your can keep all your toys to yourself. Nobody wants to be taken advantage of, but when it comes to relationships you do have to let your guard down a little.
Agreed! There's being cautious and then there's being pessimistic. Most people don't want to be in a one sided relationship and from what OP has described, it's all about what he wants. If you enter a relationship with an "it's all about me attitude" then I'll spare you the trouble of having to go through it, coz it's already doomed!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

Not sure why he's' worried about all that stuff when he can't even find women he's interested in dating beyond the first few dates.

I'm not so sure the OP is for real. Alimony issues would be irrelevant if he found someone of his same "station" in life to have a relationship with, i.e. someone in a higher-end job, stable, finances solid, etc. Instead of discussing practical solutions to finding a suitable mate, suddenly he starts pushing the cliche manosphere complaint buttons. And disappears from the thread as soon as someone makes suggestions about how/where to look for the kind of women he's interested in.

So, IMO the OP isn't sincere in his original inquiry, and is just posting to provoke people. He's welcome to return to his thread to prove me wrong.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm just glad that, as strained as these metaphors are, society has dodged a bullet now that the OP won't be firing blanks. There's still hope.
Comments like this make it worth slogging through 50+ pages.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Yes, I've had that situation as well but mainly from Online though. The chick texts me her number, then disappears.

Here's my OKC Profile, let me know if it comes up: Tenacity99 / 32 / Clinton Township, Michigan | OkCupid
So why exactly are you getting a vasectomy?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So why exactly are you getting a vasectomy?
He's not. He changed his mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships