Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM

61 posts, read 250,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I wonder about that. I think it is if you take this dictionary definition about discrimination:

Discrimination: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b: prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>.

So when one says I don't want to date anyone of the (fill in the blank) race, which discriminates catergorically as opposed to individually, is that a bigoted action or thought?
A preference for one race is not really a bigoted thought, in my opinion. Again, though a preference, NOT an exclusion towards ones race.
I'm not sure how I feel about the counterpoint that, well, I'm just not attracted to (fill in the blank) people. However, there may have been something negative towards that race in that persons mind to trigger that thought.
It's just my two cents. Curious for answers that stick to just answering the question, does not dating someone of a certain race equal predijuce, bigotry, discrimation in your view?
I would call that discriminating taste similar to saying I would never drink pepsi, I would only drink coke.

I don't think its racism but I can tell how some people feel, I don't date American women. Not because I hate American women, but I prefer the atmosphere a Japanese woman provides. Am I discriminating yes, is it racism NO, I don't hate American women I just have a preference.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 AM

116 posts, read 447,788 times
People want to date someone they are comfortable with and has something in common with them. Not dating outside of your race doesn't make you racist, you can date anyone you want to. There are lots of types of guys I wouldn't like, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 AM

127 posts, read 377,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I just had to comment on this post before this thread is closed by the mods. You mean you married a person of your own race to honor your father? As in, you father would not have approved if married someone outside of your race? Wow.

Here you go again - prejudging. You can honor your family by marrying someone who has commonalities with your family and pass traditions on to the next generation. I married someone with a background and values like mine. I know there are men that would reject me because of my race, my ethnicity, my religion, my look, etc. and that is fine with me.

If I married someone just because of their look race wouldn't matter because no race looks better than the other to me. Nice colors and certain features look good. Mixing it up can look good but many times nice colors go away and features get mixed up. Marrying someone just because they look good isn't going to bring a person happiness. Some people look good in their 20s but not their 30s and 40s. Your opinion of what looks good in your 20s can change in your 30s and so on. After everything is said and done it's best to marry someone with your values - you can't go wrong.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:34 AM

127 posts, read 377,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
No not enlightened understanding and aware and yes different as we are from different countries
Some of the comments you made about were totally off the wall and immature
And what have you contributed to this thread - that you are a European woman who married a black man so that makes you more understanding? And if someone doesn't do what you do they are wrong?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,597,331 times
Now did I say that ? No and maybe if you were not such a narrow minded person you wouldn't be getting yourself all wound up over this
Have a wonderful day

Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,876,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemom View Post
Here you go again - prejudging. You can honor your family by marrying someone who has commonalities with your family and pass traditions on to the next generation. I married someone with a background and values like mine.
Got it. Didnt mean to "prejudge you" but the way you wrote your post thats what it sounded like. That is exactly what I did is marry someone who is similar to me. My wife and I share very similiar values on pretty much everything except for politics. I am pretty far on the right and she's waaaaaay over on the left. But other than our political views and countries of origin, we have many commonalities and values and that is what makes our relationship successful.

As far as honoring my family, I whom I marry has absolutely no bearing on that. I got married to start my OWN family and if my family didnt approve of my wife, then thats too bad for them. Its my life and my happiness and my new family that Im starting and nothing is more important than that.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,597,331 times
Variety is the spice of life

Old 02-02-2008, 12:36 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,937,819 times
Ever since I was younger I've always liked White girls. I remember when I was about three years old I used to play with this little white girl who was a year younger than me. I didn't speak a DROP of English. My parents are from Mexico and Spanish was my first language. Ever since then I've been interested in White women. This issue came up when I was going to the beach in Mexico, about interracial marriages. My grandma went on this rant about how bad it was. She would tell stories of people she heard from and how bad their marriage was. I don't find it racist, I just don't know how to explain it. Maybe its because I was raised in a mainly White suburban neighborhood? Who knows. But I did flat out tell my grandma that I was going to marry a white women . And about the person making rude comments about how unhappy interracial marriages was because their kids didn't look like the mom or what ever, that depends on the father. If the mother is white and the father is Black, of course the baby will look more like the father. But in my case, my mom is fairly light skinned and my father is a bit darker. I am like.. cinnamon with an added touch of vanilla. My kids will probably come out White-er. My Great grandparents on one side were blonde hair, blue eyed and my grandmother subsequently has red hair. As do one of my cousins.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 AM

107 posts, read 96,522 times
I am from other country and only date white men. This is what I prefer and not racist at all. For women I do not mind but for men only white. I will not date any black men or asian men that is my rule. Like I said I prefer white but sometimes try other. It depends most on the person.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
personal freedom > diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.