Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:43 PM

3,688 posts, read 4,997,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
The first thing I did was delete everything. The messages, pics, social media. I knew that was the right thing to do, but it felt so wrong.

And he never said he didn't love me. He says he does. But I can't believe him because of how miserable I feel. I wasn't totally fine without him, he brought parts of me out I didn't know I had, my sex life with my husband improved, I gained greater insight into who I really am and greater confidence as a result. He really is a fabulous guy, but my stupid genitals got in the way and I became madly attracted to him.

1. Perhaps he loves you and has elected to behave responsibly, withdrawing from the path you took together.

2. An ugly and ill-tasting "OR" is this: Many cannot tell the difference between Love and Need, and they are not the same. That goes for you and for him.

Whatever the reason and whatever the case, this much is true: If you wish to stay with your husband and be faithful henceforth, then you must put the other man aside.

Today it hurts, and tomorrow it hurts, and the day after that, on and on.

One day you wake up and feel sadness, but find yourself at least momentarily preoccupied with other things. Then you recall and it all feels like it crashes down.

Then another day somewhen, and you think on him near the day's end. At that instant you feel a sense of surprise, startled at the fact that until just then you had not thought on him all day. You feel the sadness, but you also feel a sense of puzzling curiosity.

So it goes, gradually less and less as you forget; and having eventually forgotten enough to dull the pain and instead view the experience, you pack it up and put it away.

The world does not end after all.

Perhaps you learn eventually to look on your time with kindness, a retrospective fondness which allows you to appreciate what you were given. Perhaps you figure things out along the way which teach you to hate him, learning yourself through time and experience what pieces were truth and which were pretty lies. Either way, you move on.

That is how you get past it. That is how it was done long before me, and will continue to be done long after you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,403,624 times
Stop associating yourself with them/it

Something you have to realize is their is choice in love. You may not control "how" you feel about any one person in particular but you can control How close you become to them.

Without choice, love cannot exist. You have to realize YOUR part in making it so.

You have to let go of it all. Pictures, contacts etc etc etc They are a direct indicator of your own willingness to participate.

If you can't do that you are making your choice to stay involved and further your "love"

Old 10-02-2015, 02:47 PM

1,273 posts, read 987,068 times
Thank you usayit. Really, I needed to hear I'm likely not the only one hurting from this even though he was the one to pull away. It's so hard not to see it as a rejection of me, when in reality he is only rejecting the infidelity, which is extremely brave on his part.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
1. Perhaps he loves you and has elected to behave responsibly, withdrawing from the path you took together.

2. An ugly and ill-tasting "OR" is this: Many cannot tell the difference between Love and Need, and they are not the same. That goes for you and for him.

Whatever the reason and whatever the case, this much is true: If you wish to stay with your husband and be faithful henceforth, then you must put the other man aside.

Today it hurts, and tomorrow it hurts, and the day after that, on and on.

One day you wake up and feel sadness, but find yourself at least momentarily preoccupied with other things. Then you recall and it all feels like it crashes down.

Then another day somewhen, and you think on him near the day's end. At that instant you feel a sense of surprise, startled at the fact that until just then you had not thought on him all day. You feel the sadness, but you also feel a sense of puzzling curiosity.

So it goes, gradually less and less as you forget; and having eventually forgotten enough to dull the pain and instead view the experience, you pack it up and put it away.

The world does not end after all.

Perhaps you learn eventually to look on your time with kindness, a retrospective fondness which allows you to appreciate what you were given. Perhaps you figure things out along the way which teach you to hate him, learning yourself through time and experience what pieces were truth and which were pretty lies. Either way, you move on.

That is how you get past it. That is how it was done long before me, and will continue to be done long after you.
I'm going to read this a million times.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:51 PM

51,866 posts, read 52,267,434 times
You know that you're gonna take a beatin with this don't you???

Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Stop associating yourself with them/it

Something you have to realize is their is choice in love. You may not control "how" you feel about any one person in particular but you can control How close you become.

Without choice, love cannot exist. You have to realize YOUR part in making it so.

You have to let go of it all. Pictures, contacts etc etc etc They are a direct indicator of your own willingness to participate.

If you can't do that you are making your choice to stay involved and further your "love"
I know you're right. I did immediately delete all of it, but the memories aren't so easily erased.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You know that you're gonna take a beatin with this don't you???
I've gotten a lot of sound compassionate advice already in this thread. The beaters can do their best, I've beaten myself up pretty good already. There's nothing left they can say I haven't already said to myself.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,989,016 times
Quote:
Thank you usayit. Really, I needed to hear I'm likely not the only one hurting from this even though he was the one to pull away. It's so hard not to see it as a rejection of me, when in reality he is only rejecting the infidelity, which is extremely brave on his part.
Feel free to PM me if you want some perspective. Advice and solutions I may not have to offer but I can share my experiences. Sharing seems to help.. which prompted me to start being active here. Knowing that others are going through the same also helps.

Some of my thoughts about what happened to me are captured in this thread (and other threads). Again... all I have to offer is perspective from my own life.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-question.html

Old 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,876,978 times
Quote:
I'm not divorcing, I love my husband. He's handsome, funny, a fabulous father, giving, determined to be sucessful. I never stopped loving my husband.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I've considered cheating only once before, quite recently actually, but I never loved that guy. I was just lonely and feeling sexually neglected.

But this is so different. I actually love this man. And I can't reconcile having love for two men at the same time. It's really tearing me up.
So, why not work to fix your messed up marriage?

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,403,624 times
Quote:
I know you're right. I did immediately delete all of it, but the memories aren't so easily erased.
The feelings and importance of them as they exsist right now will deminish with time away as you dissociate from everything surrounding them....assuming you focus on the life you have with your own instead of the life you "could" have with another or on your own.

It's up to you to choose the life you make for yourself. This includes who we involve our feelings with and make an immediate importance to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships