Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM

22 posts, read 16,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Really, an Elite Daily article?
If you have something better, I'd love to see it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are correct, I refuse to waste my time on those who believe THEY already have ALL the answers.

By the way, IF you have had that many sexual encounters in 9 years you are already considered known to many.........
Bless your heart.
(Laughs hysterically, then ends discussion)

Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,828,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Flesh View Post
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ationship-last

Old 10-04-2015, 04:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,825,681 times
Quote:
I believe the onus is on your to prove your point.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,654,404 times
Two years??! Jesus no. I can't get inside that mindset to offer meaningful advice, sorry. We had sex on the first date, and we've been married almost 20 years. I don't dig abstinent guys.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,218,366 times
Quote:
That's interesting. It's not just me who's noticed this, though; there have been studies done on this. Here is an example: ([URL="http://elitedaily.com/dating/length-relationship-first-sex/1045774/"]How Long You Wait, Statistically, Determines How Long You Date[/URL])

An excerpt:

"To gain a more scientifically verifiable answer to whether or not sex early on is detrimental to a relationship, Busby “recruited 2,035 heterosexual individuals who had an average age of 36 and were in their first marriages” and administered them a questionnaire that revolved around relationship satisfaction and stability.

Next, the participants were asked to self-report whether or not they had sex early in their relationship, late in their relationship or waited until marriage.

According to Bryner, “relationships fared better and better the longer a person waited to have sex, up until marriage, with those hitting the sack before a month showing the worst outcomes.”

Statistics showed when compared to the “early” group, those who waited until marriage rated:

1. Relationship stability 22 percent higher.

2. Relationship satisfaction 20 percent higher.

3. Sexual quality 15 percent better.

4. Communication 12 percent better."

I'm by no means an abstinence advocate (obviously), but waiting a bit appears to have something going for it. I know this was a small study, but it's reflecting something.
That's one survey, conducted by a professor at the very conservative BYU, with a limited sample (surveyed only heterosexual married couples, no singles or those in long-term relationships, no same-sex relationships). Not necessarily a reflection of what plays out in the general population.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Again for women, but not men, having sex early in the scheme of things signified to them that their partner was committed to the relationship. For men, having sex early in the dating period didn’t actually have that same meaning."

This is interesting. Thank you.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,825,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Two years??! Jesus no. I can't get inside that mindset to offer meaningful advice, sorry. We had sex on the first date, and we've been married almost 20 years. I don't dig abstinent guys.
Exactly. I wasn't about to wait until I was 31 to have sex with my boyfriend. We had sex on the 5th date. It felt right. Our relationship is going well and he met my mom last week.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,001,418 times
Quote:

I also wonder what other women's data is. Does your dating life generally follow the same pattern regarding how early or late you slept with a man, and how long he stuck around?
Nope, not at all. What has mattered for my own long term relationships is compatibility in many areas, sex only being one of them.

Going into a relationship with a pre-set idea of when sex (or any physical touch) is going to happen would not work for me. It's way too much thought and planning for something that, at the end of the day, is really not all that huge of a deal for me.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Isn't waiting at least 3 months for serious relationships (let's forget 2 years, I agree that was overboard) prudent? Because I have seen men on here say that they'll wait 3 dates even if their only intention is to have sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships