Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Seems like you'll get varying opinions on this regarding the first date.

Ask her out for coffee, you're cheap.

Ask her out for lunch, one way ticket to the friend zone.

Ask her out for dinner, it's too much pressure for a first date.

Ask her out for drinks, she'll think you just want sex.

Ask her out to the movies, you two won't really have a chance to talk (at least during the movie).

etc...

Overall, just ask her out to whatever place you feel like. If she likes you, the place you picked won't really matter to begin with.
Yep. Smart and classy people don't judge you like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 05:40 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Not if the guy asks you to split the check after dinner/drinks.
If a bloke ever asks you to go halves on the bill kick him in the nuts!!!

Any fella with any self worth would pick the bill up in a heartbeat! Especially when you first start dating

Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
If a bloke ever asks you to go halves on the bill kick him in the nuts!!!

Any fella with any self worth would pick the bill up in a heartbeat! Especially when you first start dating
I love how physical violence is encouraged against guys the second we do something that a woman doesn't like.

This is 2015. Some people go Dutch, especially when they know damn well there ain't gonna be a date #2. Deal with it.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I love how physical violence is encouraged against guys the second we do something that a woman doesn't like.

This is 2015. Some people go Dutch, especially when they know damn well there ain't gonna be a date #2. Deal with it.
Excuse me my comment was firmly tongue in cheek hence the smiley at the end of the sentence.

Of course I'm not encouraging violence

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by some people go Dutch. Can you please explain cheers

Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You are completely wrong.

If a guy asks you out for coffee he is probably cheap. Who would start a relationship over coffee?

Drinks/dinner leads to a relationship more often than coffee or Happy Hour.
From my perspective (as a male), a coffee 'date' is not a date in the first place. It's way too casual and, if it goes well, it's a little less natural to continue (at, say, a bar or coffee shop) than if the date began at a restaurant. I would never ask a girl out for coffee and, if she suggests it herself, suggest a meal instead.

Given how many outings are one-and-done, I think the venue (and meal itself) do carry weight. Those who support coffee often do so because it's cheap and offers a quick out (both of which are true). To me, it's counterproductive (think self serving prophecy) to arrange a meeting that is so well suited for failure. Plus, how much time do you save if the alternatives (in my case, dinner) are usually <60 minutes anyway? I actually prefer dinner b/c it sends a more romantic vibe and offers a natural end (after the bill is paid) or transition (drinks/coffee/dessert -- different place) based on how things are going.

Some girls say coffee dates are screening to see whether the guy is worth their time. That's fine -- if I'm not worth their time for a legit date, then they can find a sucker who thinks they're doing him a favor by granting him the privilege of meeting her for coffee.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Excuse me my comment was firmly tongue in cheek hence the smiley at the end of the sentence.

Of course I'm not encouraging violence

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by some people go Dutch. Can you please explain cheers
Going Dutch is basically splitting the bill, not necessarily in half but each individual paying only for the items that he or she ordered.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Going Dutch is basically splitting the bill, not necessarily in half but each individual paying only for the items that he or she ordered.
Thank you

Now I know what it means yes dissenter that's agreed it is 2015 but when it comes down to dates I'm quite traditional in paying for the dinner/drinks.

It's something that goes down well with women

Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Thank you

Now I know what it means yes dissenter that's agreed it is 2015 but when it comes down to dates I'm quite traditional in paying for the dinner/drinks.

It's something that goes down well with women
If you like to spend money on women and that gets you their approval to continue to take them out, good for you. This seems to work well with most women. There are a few girls out there who are happy to contribute to expenses since the very first date and also make the guy feel appreciated. A bit rare specially in western culture but it happens. It goes well with guys too .

Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I'm wondering if there's a way to tell what a guy really wants by how he asks a woman out for their first date.

If a guy asks you out for coffee/brunch during the day time, he's looking for something more substantial, possibly a relationship.

If a guy asks you out for drinks/dinner on the first date, his first priority is to hook up but if a relationship comes out of it, who is he to say no?

If a guy asks you out for happy hour... I don't know, it could go either way?

This has been my experience so far. I'm sure there are guys who will ask a girl out on their first date to drinks/dinner late at night and want a relationship, but the chances for that probably die down.

Ladies, ever met a guy who asked you out for coffee but was just after the sex?

WTF?? You deserve to stay single until you change your way of thinking. I hope the rest of your life is less complicated.

Poor guys .. can't do it right no matter how they ask.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If you like to spend money on women and that gets you their approval to continue to take them out, good for you. This seems to work well with most women. There are a few girls out there who are happy to contribute to expenses since the very first date and also make the guy feel appreciated. A bit rare specially in western culture but it happens. It goes well with guys too .
Absolutely true and of course it's nice and I would appreciate the offer myself but I feel better in myself if Payed.

Sounds daft and prehistoric I know but that's me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships