Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:35 PM

491 posts, read 402,545 times

Advertisements

top three: intelligent, sense of humor, kind
That gives me something to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Yes, brains are very sexy. It doesn't have to just be "book smarts", but a general intelligence and ability to have meaningful discussions, as well as a thirst for knowledge and learning for the sake of learning. And when their vocabulary is like something straight out of a Word of the Day calendar... oh my.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
To a degree.

There are some people who are too smart for their own good. They often want to educate instead of discuss. No thank you.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:44 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
I really can't deal with stupid men. I'm also not into guys who are simply book-smart either, because they mostly just parrot whatever they learned in school or at their job ~ which is often boring to me. I like creative thinkers.. philosophers, artists, musicians, writers...those are my people. I like to go deep and explore. So yes, I do find intelligence sexy.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Yes, I like intelligence of the intellectual variety in particular. I find it stimulating, and I feel at ease with people who like to read and explore ideas and theories. I do not worry about them judging me for my natural communication style. Someone HAS to be smart for me to find them attractive, and it doesnt have to be the intellectual type, but I do like that type.

I know people like to hate on that kind of intelligence or thinking style though. There is always some jab about them not having common sense or whatever. I think lack of so-called common sense is sort of the gift of the creative thinker. It is removing the typical perspective of reality in order to find a totally new one, aka approaching things in an uncommon way.

Of course, it can be ruined by arrogance or lack of charm, but I do not think that occurs as much as people think. I think many people like to lazily lump others into one-dimensional categories so they can make quick judgements, as they have a need for closure. So if they meet someone with booksmarts, they will stereotype them and not bother to discover what other qualities they may have. Perhaps this is done of out insecurity too, who knows.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Intelligent is a broad term.

Book Smarts
Street Smarts
Survival Intelligence / Resourceful

Someone can be book smart but have no common sense at all. I went to school with a girl like that. Very smart, made killer grades, but talking to her, you wouldn't know that. lol

I have always sound survival skills / resourceful very attractive. That I would feel more safe/comfortable with.

But i'd love a man with book smarts as well, someone I could learn with. Languages, cultures perhaps. We could learn things from one another, and in a fun light-hearted way. Not a know-it-all obnoxious way.
This. As a man I feel that all three are a necessity! I personally know people with multiple college degrees but are dumb as rocks in terms of common sense!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Intelligent is a broad term.

Book Smarts
Street Smarts
Survival Intelligence / Resourceful

Someone can be book smart but have no common sense at all. I went to school with a girl like that. Very smart, made killer grades, but talking to her, you wouldn't know that. lol

I have always sound survival skills / resourceful very attractive. That I would feel more safe/comfortable with.

But i'd love a man with book smarts as well, someone I could learn with. Languages, cultures perhaps.
Very true! I was just going to post something similar to your post.

Ive dated some very book smart women, but when it comes to other things in life, they were as dumb as a bunch of monkeys fighting over a loaded shotgun. And we all know this isn't gender specific.

Common sense and a good sense of humor is very sexy to me.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:53 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
When I dated more seriously I exclusively sought fellow intellectuals and academics. A sexy brain always drew me in. If we couldn't have intellectually stimulating conversations then it was a no-go. I debate as a pastime. It's one of my "things," and one I'm really good at. I needed a partner that could hold their own or understood the subjects enough to follow along. This spans everything from psychology, sociology, philosophy, religion, ancient history, politics, the arts (movies, books, art, music), sciences, etc. Especially religion and philosophy because they're my fields of study and issues I discuss a lot, often in everyday conversation.

My husband is the same way. It's one of the big things that contributed to our 99% match. :P He adores my brain, and I fancy his. "There's a lot of attractive, unintelligent people on there (OKC), but there's not a lot of intelligent, attractive, nerdy, geeky, crazy awesome people." says Husband

I'm attracted to intelligent, intellectually-minded individuals because conversations tend to be entertaining, interesting, fascinating, and stimulating. And it demonstrates a love for learning and critical thinking.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:54 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Very true! I was just going to post something similar to your post.

Ive dated some very book smart women, but when it comes to other things in life, they were as dumb as a bunch of monkeys fighting over a loaded shotgun. And we all know this isn't gender specific.

Common sense and a good sense of humor is very sexy to me.
X2

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 10-16-2015 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 PM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
open mindedness and intelligence are very attractive. Why, I want someone to have their own opinions and still open to other inputs. If they are not particularly intelligent, they can become sexy by demonstrating a willingness to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships